When will the breeding season end?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:44:37  Show Profile
At the moment I've got my pair of snakes in separate vivariums - because I don't want them breeding. I do feel a bit guilty to have them apart for months on end but I can't look after the eggs and I don't want to put the poor female through pointless pregnancies - the last time they bred she laid 30+ eggs! which fortunately I was able to give to someone who hatched a few of them.

When will the male have 'calmed down'?! He is back on his food now, which I figure is a good sign?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
corns can breed pretty much all year round, if you don't want eggs you'll have to keep them apart

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:15:22  Show Profile
Much as a complete newbie I wouldn't want to argue with a 5star moderator, but my snakes definitely don't breed all year round. They get frisky when spring arrives. The female sheds and then they're at it like rabbits. And then at some point around now (if only I paid more attention) they settle down again. I've been looking after them for about 8 years and they've only ever had one clutch a year. Does anyone have any similar experience? also I never brumate them over winter, I just keep feeding them.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:57:22  Show Profile
GP is right, they can and will likly breed all year. Keep them apart if you dont want eggs, which will be very hard on the female. Also, why do you feel bad for sperating them? They are solitary animals.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's not that they will but it's possible, that's why you can get an all year round supply of hatchlings, 2 of my juvies were hatched in December. in spring the environmental triggers get the corns going but you can replicate that at any time of year, either intentionally or not.

but you do have a valid point Epona, mating usually happens naturally in spring time

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  10:38:36  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure you're right so maybe my pair are an exception - I've never had them breed other than in the spring. Also they seem very happy together and given a range of 'hides' they often curl up together. I'm sure it is largely sentimentality that makes me want to keep them together though - I spose I credit them with a lot more personality and intelligence than they've probably got... :)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:19:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Epona

I credit them with a lot more personality and intelligence than they've probably got... :)

Alot of people do that

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000