New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  00:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted last week about Billy as he was in the throws of a bad shed when I collected him. With advice from the board, I gave him a bath and removed the rest of the shed. There were still some little bits hanging on afterward just behind his head but I thought these would come off by themselves. I continued misting his hide with moss in but when I had him out today noticed it hadn't shifted and his eyes looked a little misty like you would expect before a shed.

I gave him another bath and to my surprise, he shed a full skin, in near-enough one piece!

I wonder if the bad shed had been there for longer than the previous owner had led me to believe? He told me he had just started shedding when I picked him up.

Any ideas?

I had tried to feed him yesterday and he wasn't interested. I know some people say to leave it till they're next scheduled feed but with doubts about the previous care I didn't know how long it had been. After his shed I put him in his feeding RUB and he strike fed after 10 minutes. I gave him half an hour then let him slither home and all is well.

He was gorgeous to start with but now even more so.

0.1.2 Amels (Juvenile/hatchlings)
1.0.0 Hypo Normal (Adult)
0.1.0 Ghost Motley/Stripe (Adult)
0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
0.1.0 Grey Rat Snake (Adult)
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Grey Banded King (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Pacific Gopher (Adult)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Juvenile)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  13:57:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Atleast all the shed is off now and he is back to full health.

On a side note, im liking the new sig. Didn't know you had a boa. Is it a BCI?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  14:34:46  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At least everything is ok now!
Don't worry about the feeding part..!
You can make a new schedule now!
Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Thank you

Jackson is a new addition, I only bought him on Saturday. As far a I know he is a BCI.

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Edited by - CSJ on 07/06/2010 19:18:27
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  22:32:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CSJ

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Thank you

Jackson is a new addition, I only bought him on Saturday. As far a I know he is a BCI.

I thought it was, just thought id ask as in your sig it says red tailed boa.

Is yours as super placid as mine lol?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  05:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really does make you cross at some owners and the state they keep their snakes in, doesnt it Carl !! It does sound as though that may have been the case, the shed you removed first time round was from an old shed and he has now shed a new shed. One thing that is important to check is the tail tip, especially as there has been retained shed. It can cut off the circulation there and if left untreated can cause the end to drop off. So just double check that the final shed that came off came off with the tail tip.

Cant wait to see pics of him now, all new and shiny!

He probably wasnt interested in feeding yesterday because of the shed, some snakes dont feed when they are blue....but I am so pleased he struck and ate so well when you offered him his next meal. It is always a relief when they feed, especially after you have been dealing with a problem with them.

As Danny has said, love the sig and it is great seeing your dog, beardie (who is in an awesome position!!) and boa as well as Max and Billy. Hope you will post some pics of Jackson and Alfie in the 'Other Reptile Photos' section (once Jackson has had a chance to settle in).

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 08/06/2010 05:46:41
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  10:18:18  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that all is well!!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  00:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kellog. I'm really passionate about animals having the best care possible and I can see you are too.

When I removed the previous bad shed, the tail piece definitely all came off as after reading on here about the dangers, it was what I was most worried about. His second shed was great and it was only the head part which was a little ragged, the rest was complete.

I've read about some snakes being grumpy when they are due to shed so it really is testament to his temperament. As with the first time, I held onto the skin and let him pull. Of course I wouldn't have done this if I'd know it was going to be a full shed, I only did it as a last resort because I thought it could have been there since goodness knows when. I was amazed when he proceeded to extract himself from his old skin right there in my hands.

I knew the bad shed could indicate problems but didn't realise I was taking on a poorly kept snake at the time. I am so pleased to be able to make sure he has only the best from now on and feel privileged to care for such an amazing creature.

There will be more pictures I promise but I've been snowed under the last couple of days.

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  12:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find the reason he didn't feed is because the second skin came off early, especially if he was still blue when it came off. The retained shed may not have been there as long as you think, my russian ratsnake sheds every 2 weeks, so a retained shed then going blue again, may not actually take that long!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000