New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  20:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just asking this as i have been told different things about how a four month old corn will react in a tank
i have been told that the snake will be intimidated when he is so young but i have also been told that he will be fine as long as as their are plenty of hides and tress but what do you think i could section of a piece of the tank if it is to large and remove it when hes a bit bigger as i really dont want to buy another set up but what do u guys suggest

this is the tank ive got
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9779

2.0.0 corn snakes (Vinnie and Leo)
1.1.0 cats ( jayda and thomas)

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  20:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've kept my corn in a 36" vivarium since I first got her when she was just a couple of months old and I've had no problems. She has always fed and shed well and never had a real problem with handling (not due to the viv anyway).

HOWEVER (and this is a major point) most people advise against keeping small corns in large vivs due to the intimidation problem you mentioned. So from a personal point of view I'd say it's fine, from a social responsibility point of view I'd say stick with a small viv or RUB.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  20:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both accounts are right to a point, as said, each snake is different, one may love having that much space, another may be terrified, it depends on the animal.
For about a tenner you can buy a tub that would be better sand it will go in the viv for as long as needed.
I have a year old corn, I wouldn't put her in a 3 ft viv fort another year maybe.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  20:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally think it may be a tad big. From reading similar posts before younger corns can get intimidated by large spaces. But i could be wrong so give it a try. Try covering the back and sides and putting lots of plantage and a few hides so its a little more dense in there. If your getting healthy sheds and poos then he/she is fine. If your not then maybe section a 1/4 of it off and try again.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

Matt

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  20:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As MrMerlin has said, there are a number of different views on this subject Amy.

This is a quote I found from MikeRichard's, who is very experienced about keeping and breeding snakes - 'a lot of people put a baby snake straight into something like a 3ft viv, which is where the insecurity comes from, really a baby wants to be in something like a 12x6 inch tub, they are much happier, then after a year move onwards and upwards. Some peoplethink that its ok with lots of decor, I am not saying its wrong, its just not something I would do, but everyone has their own methods, and there is not right way, but there is a multitude of wrong ways!'

To be honest, I do wonder if some of it has to do with the snake itself. It is certainly not something I would do....put a small snake into a tank too big, although it is possible to pack it out enough with hides, plants etc for the snake to feel secure.

I must admit that I always wonder about how much harder it is to catch a snake without causing it stress when it is in the bigger viv.

Once your snake gets to around the same length as the length + width of the tank then it is time to move them to a bigger tank.

You might find this topic of interest - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8423.

All this means that putting your snake straight into the tank you have would probably be intimidating as it would be too big.

The problem is you never know how your snake is going to cope in a tank 'too big' for it until you see signs of stress...and by then it is too late...so I guess my question is - is it worth it, for the snake's sake?

If possible the best idea is to section off your tank, although how easy this is going to be while still making sure it is escape-proof may be difficult. You can get RUBs that arent too expensive, so maybe you should think about getting the right size of those for your snake until it is big enough for your tank. (you would be able to get the same heatmat, stat and thermometers you would need for the tank, as well as hides etc....so there would not be too much extra expense.)

xxx

edited to add - sorry Amy, have repeated some of what has already been said as others type faster than I do!

Edited by - Kellog on 15/06/2010 20:39:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  20:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i got my Eugene back in november and he was approx 1.5 foot long. I didnt know a lot about snake keeping at the time (although i'd wanted one for years).

Unfortunately the shop i got him from suggested i also buy the 2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 viv that he had just got in and said it would be a perfect size for him.

I took his word for it and bought it. At first it wasnt too much of a problem, but some of the other members may remember when i went through a bad period of Eugene not feeding. His temps were fine etc. so wasnt sure what was causing this. He even started regurging his feeds.

I decided to partition the viv and pack it out even more, more plants, hides etc. and he soon got back to normal. He lost a lot of weight and only recently shed after putting the weight back on and actually growing a bit.

However i dont want to sound like a scare mongerer, as just like the other members have said each snake is different. Yours may love the space, while others dont.
Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  01:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i see it as snakes like to hide in the smallest most awkward gaps ever, so as long as theres plenty of places to hide and a good size heated area for it, i would personally say its ok.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  09:35:27  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of my snakes Xena "chose" to live in her viv rather than the rub that was in it. If you read that thread Kellog has put up you will find out about my exploits with her. She was tiny when she moved out of the rub and into her viv probably not even 15" long and she has been fine. In fact I can honestly say I have never seen a snake eat so much she is a proper dustbin. My other corn Colin went into a 36" viv as a yearling of about 24" and he was absolutely fine also. I have read a lot on here about big spaces freaking them out but in my experience I have seen no evidence of it.
However what i would say is if you are going to put a small corn into a big space like that be prepared to either partition it or have an rub standing by that way if you do see any evidence of stress (such as refusing food) you can act quickly and reduce the size of the accomodation.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  11:31:59  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add that I am not saying it is ok to put small snakes in large enclosures. I am saying I did and I got away with it with no comebacks but a lot of that could be due to the snakes themselves and their temprement. What I do know is that if I ever got another one I would adopt the same method as I did with Xena with a small rub inside the viv to start off with.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000