New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  01:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where do all you guys have your thermostat probe, i just thought i would ask to make sure mine is okay and if not correct it.

my viv is layed out so 1/3 of it is heat mat, an the hide, which is big sits on the heat mat ant the probe is inside along with the thermometer sensor.

is this right or wrong or neither.

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  09:44:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my experience I have found the best way is to have both the thermostat probe and thermometer probe attached to eachother using rubber bands and laying flat in direct contact with the surface of the heat mat. That way you can effectively regulate the mats max temp.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the same as Elament....I have both probes in the same place so they are measuring the heat in the same place on the mat. Am assuming, from the way you have put it, that both probes are in the same place - inside the big hide.

Mine are not in the hide, but only because the hide is not heavy enough to hold them down enough. They are lying horizontally against the heatmat (which is vital) and weighed down with rocks. I have had the experience of Silvesta moving the stat probe so that it was pointing into the air and therefore reading the ambient temperature....luckily the digital thermometer probe hadnt been moved and I caught it soon enough - the thermometer was showing 31oC. It shows how important it is to have the digital thermometer and to have the probes weighed down. Some members even stick their probes to the heatmat using aquarium sealant.

As far as I can tell from what you have said you have everything right....and no need for the ....it is so much better to double check things to make sure you get things right than have the smallest chance that something is wrong.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:27:05  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its worth mentioning too that if you do have the probes actually in the hides you can get problems when a cold snake curles up on top of the probes. I have mine with the edge of the hide pinning down the probes so they are in direct contact with the mat but in a position where the snake cant lay on them.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another vote for flat on the mat. I like to know exactly what the mat temperature is as I've been told it's quite likely the snake can wriggle down through the substrate and end up in direct contact with the mat. I have a the cables of the probes pinned down with a fake cactus plants base and also the edge of the hide. Again as above the probes are pointing out of the hide so the snake does not lay on them.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  19:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, i need a little adjustment then to stop the cold snake syndrome but otherwise all is good. yeay

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000