Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  18:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I think I have a problem,my 5 year old corn has now regurgitated twice within about 4 weeks,he looks very thin and inactive.Following advice i got some Avipro Plus which i put as per instructions in to the water.More worringly the vet who is a reptile expert tells me that it could be some form of bacteria he did tell me the Latin name but I cant remember it.And that it is invariably fatal.
Up till now he would feed even though it would come back but now wont even do that.Viv temp is 82-86 warm end and 72-74 cold end , two hides uv etc.I would be gratefull for any advice.
Best wishes Charlie

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did your vet not do a fecal test?? Are you thinking of cryptosporidium?
Get yourself some ccf, critical care formula, its will help get some vital nutrients back into the snake, also, if you can get some powerade, mix that with his water, or give it straight, that will get all the minerals and stuff he needs and will also rehydrate very quickly.
My advice, as soon as you can get a fecal sample sent to a vet lab, that will help you find out and treat what's up.

Did he give you anything to treat him?? The fecal is a must, in the meantime, feed smaller meals.
How big and heavy is the snake, what's his condition like, pics pls?
If he's bad, forget the 14 day break from a regurge, get a fluff into him, maybe inject the fluff with powerade or something else similar.

Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike Criptosporidium is what he said,because he is not eating there are no faeces to take to the vet,all he agreed on is Avi Pro which I put in his water.He is about 24 inches long but very light no weight there at all,and very thin I will upload a pic or two,but i must admit his last proper meal about 4-5 weeks ago which he kept down as normal was abit large.He is not a big i.e thick snake anyway.A the moment he will not take anything at all tried today with a fluffy.Many thanks
Charlie
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crypto is fatal most of the time, but, is very rare in snakes because it mostly comes from live food, locusts mainly, generally not from frozen food.
However, its highly contageous, so if you have other animals, not just snakes, and especially lizards then I suggest extreme hygeine between handling, be certain, absolutely certain you don't cross contaminate.
If you use ccf, then he will pass it, it will be nasty stinky and sticky, but will pass, if and when, get it to the vet to be sent off.
Crypto can be mimicked by other problems, ones I forget now, but worms would cause similar problems of regurge and weight loss, flagilates (sp) also, which are a common bacteria in the gut which bloom out of control and cause problems.
Where do you live?

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  20:21:30  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and i hope your snake recovers.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  20:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike Iam in Billingshurst not far from you, his diet has always been frozen mice, the viv is clean and disinfected regularly ,where do I get ccf from and how do I administer it .
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  21:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ok, that's not too far away, would you bring him down to me? I might be able to get some tests done.

Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  21:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi yes no problem send me your adress and let me know when its convenient,could you tell me where to get the ccf from .
many thanks Charlie
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  21:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get you some from the shop round the corner, or I have some.
Are you about this wkend? I have to leave for work at 1pm ish, but it wont/shouldn't take too long to sort out. I will get Kate to get me some swabs and see what we can find.

How quickly has the weight dropped off? If you can weigh him regularly.
I will email you tomorro, or, you can email me now, and I can reply, but I can't email you from my phone without something to reply to, kinda weird stupid phone thing, my email is in my profile.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  22:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, had a chat with Kate, she cannot do a test for crypto, that has to be done by the vet, and it needs to be a fecal. What we can do is take a couple of swabs and see if there are any worm eggs or anything else that shouldn't be there.
Do you have other animals? Reps? Crypto is horrendously contagious, and WILL be passed on by touch, and WILL wipe out an entire collection if not dealt with properly.
If it is determined that it has crypto, then it should be destroyed in a manner that it cannot possibly affect any other animals, that should be done by a vet really.

On the bright side, Kate thinks its unlikely to be crypto, seeing as it mostly either comes from live food, or another infected reptile.
It is highly likely to be worms or flagylates (sp) as they are carried by rodents!

Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike its very kind of you we have another corn, a tegu and a bearded dragon but i wear gloves which i change for each animal. Surgical disposables.Iam going to the vet with him today and am around all weekend .Ican get ccf at my vets , how do i make sure he takes it.He has never had live food.He was never large but now he is thin almost like my finger and spine can be clearly seen.
Many thanks Charlie
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:42:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd immediately lose the UV in the viv and increase the temps

if you get some ccf or reptoboost in him he'll poo so you'll be able to get a sample for testing and, as mike suggested, you could ask the vet about taking a cloacal swab for testing.

you can also give them a powerade bath - 50/50 with water at about 28-30* - the water and electrolytes are absorbed through the skin by osmosis, but make sure you give him a quick rinse afterwards as it's sticky

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

flagilates (sp) also, which are a common bacteria in the gut which bloom out of control and cause problems.

i think flagellates can be treated with oral metronidazole?

ideally finding out exactly what you're dealing with would be helpful please keep us all posted

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:55:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just re-read the thread to see if there's anything i've missed and this is ringing alarm bells to me.......
quote:
Originally posted by tupolev

...my 5 year old corn...........

quote:
Originally posted by tupolev

He is about 24 inches long but very light no weight there at all....

Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  10:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all this is ringing alarm bells to me as well because i dont see how he got anything except from a frozen mouse which had been defrosted.
I have turned the UV off and we are going to the vet today. I tried a fluffy yesterday and he now wont even eat, i think he is drinking.the vet will give him some ccf to get some poo for a sample.
best wishes Charlie
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  10:35:46  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
really hoping for the best for ya and that he recovers

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  13:19:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the alarm bells are regarding his size for his age........how long have you had him?

got everything crossed for the pair of you this aft at the vets

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  15:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got my fingers crossed everything is ok with him, like gp his size/age doesnt sound right..
even aura has her tail crossed for you

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  16:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ccf is mixed with water, the vat can't 'give' it to him, he has to drink it.
I was gonna do cloacal swabs myself, but if he is gonna do it, there is no point doing it twice.
5 years old and 2ft sounds very bad, unless of course he's never been big and eats fine, I had a 2.5 year old that was only 14 inches, some of my babies are bigger than he was!!
Weight is the key, you need to reularly weigh him and see how much weight is lost or gained over a period of time. I suggest weighing once a day to start with.

Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Iam afraid that the vet had to put him to sleep.The consesus was he was too weak to rally round with treatment,and two reptile vets agreed the chance of success was virtually nil.They think an organ failure was probably the cause,or some form of cancer.As he was never very big it took a while for me to spot the problem,and he only ate roughhly once every 10m days or so.He was certainly too weak to drink in the end.Whatever it was it was not Cripto.Makes me wonder if I went wrong somewhere,the viv was clean at all times etc.Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but thanks for all your help and advice.
Best wishes to you all .Charlie
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  22:28:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Really sorry about your loss.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: