Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 I'm scared my snake will bite me, what do i do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will soon be getting a corn snake and I am really excited except that I am scared that it will bite me, I know I shouldnt be scared but how mutch does it hurt?

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:52:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It doesn't hurt, it's more of a surprise because of how fast it happens. If you do get bit and it holds on, don't try and get the snake off you as you can damage the teeth. It will eventually let go itself.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it true you can get it off by putting its head under the tap?
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had snakes for nearly a year now and have been 'bitten' two or three times - once by my little royal. All were bites mistaking my finger for a mouse. (My silly mistake, should have handled mouse with tongs. Smack wrists!)

As other people have said, it feels like velcro. Like a tickle.

Unless, like me, you make the mistake of picking the mouse up with your fingers when the snake is considering having a meal, you're highly unlikely to be bitten. They can be grumpy around shedding time - I've been struck at a couple of times when I didn't realise snakey was going into shed, but on the whole corns are very placid. You can of course get more aggressive individuals, but this is rare.

I have 6 snakes now, by the way.

It's an understandable query, when you're new to snakes. Would your local reptile shop let you handle a snake or two, just to give you a bit of experience? Once you've handled a snake a couple of times, it will seem a lot less worrying. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pet shop near me actually showed me the dad of the one I have picked, I am sure that I will be fine after about a week or so, thanks. My brother is horrible, he told me it was like having two massive needles picking you VERY hard (alot of his mates have them) he is sutch a liar.
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience it's nothing like that. You hardly know it's happened - and, as I say, it was my own silly fault - it needn't have happened.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im yet to be bitten by an adult, but i have been bitten by a couple of mine, mainly when they were hatchlings but casper still has his bad days from time to time, and it honestly dosn't hurt. If you didn't see it happen then you probably wouldn't know.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floss219

The pet shop near me actually showed me the dad of the one I have picked, I am sure that I will be fine after about a week or so, thanks. My brother is horrible, he told me it was like having two massive needles picking you VERY hard (alot of his mates have them) he is sutch a liar.

I'd say they were pulling your leg. Like having 2 little needles????? Corns don't have only 2 teeth.
It's the shock of the bite more than anything, i've been proper chewed on by one of my snakes and that was nothing more than an annoyance.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  21:30:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont mean to sound rude but if you have doubts maybe you should hold it off, you should get your confidence up, not wait until the time comes cause then it might not go how you expected, do you understand what I mean? I dont want a snake to be let down because you are too afraid.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  21:54:51  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when i 1st moved my corn from a faunarium to a bigger vivarium she would bite me reapeatedly when i picked her up and sort of hiss when she did it it made me jump a little but did'nt hurt at all - more bark than bite! your confidence will grow over the 1st few weeks when it comes to handling

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  22:37:04  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would the pet shop near you let you go and handle their snakes, under their supervision, until you can have your hatchling? Is that the place where you are getting it from? Maybe they will let you hold your own hatchling? If you could that it would help to build up your confidence before you are left to look after the snake on your own.
Ignore your brother and his mates they are just being stupid....what else can brothers do!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:41:55  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
two giant needles lmao! your brothers having u on lol but has iven me a rather funny image of a baby with giant needle fangs haha, seriously tho, as others said ask the pet shop ur getting it from if they dont mind if u handle it abit, or if any of your borthers mates have snakes and aint as silly as him ask if u can go round and handle one of theirs?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, I agree with you there, it would be funny, and tiffany I am not going to hold it off because I am now over my fear of it anyway, but thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  17:00:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Really pleased you're over your fear.
Snakes are great pets and I'm sure you'll agree when you get your own and it's all settled in.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  01:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you go to handle your snake always tap it gently on its head then stroke it with a short length of metal or wood,it takes the initial feed response away.That would be when you are most likely to be bitten,baby snakes are a bit bitey anyway but it wont hurt just bleed a bit
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  01:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greyhound

When you go to handle your snake always tap it gently on its head then stroke it with a short length of metal or wood,it takes the initial feed response away.

Never heard that before, and also wouldn't recommend it much either.
Mine are happy to come out, but if I tapped them with something it'd certainly peeve them off a bit.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  06:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tapping on the head is an association technique, I do it with the big boas, however, corns generally lack the cognitive ability to associate a tap to handling.
Being bitten by a baby corn is painless, even adults don't hurt that much, I have been bitten many many times! Tbh, the worst bite I have had was from an adder, even that didn't hurt that much!

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  13:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had the same fear when I first had mine. I've had him a year though and he has never bitten me.
I always make sure I wash my hands with the same soap before handling, I think maybve he recognises the smell?

Also, I heard the thing about putting them under water to make them get off, but I don't know if it actually works...
Don't let the little fear put you off :)

Go to Top of Page

Gemsyork
Hatchling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  00:19:44  Show Profile  Send Gemsyork a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have been bitten twice in the last few weeks by my hatchlings, It dosen't hurt but i have a reaction to it. I am very wary now about handling the little ones but not because it hurts more because i react badly, Its like as many have said velcro its not till you look and have got 6 tiny holes in your finger, Mine only ever seem to bite when moving them around on feeding day.

What morph are you going for?

Corns, burms, king, KSBS, Rosy boas, Common boa, Leos, hamster, mice and rats
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  00:46:17  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hahahaha tap my TaLuLa on the head i can promise that will equal bite's!!! not hurty bites but bites non the less!! lil sh1t!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic