Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  14:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A really useful guide...thank you...I appear to have acquired a fat snake....that is easily remedied...cheers
Go to Top of Page

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  18:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more like little "dints" in the scales nohin big
and if u cut it in half it would look like an arch
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  19:44:03  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it appears alot of people have had trouble with over weight corn snakes, i myself am going through it with blake and i would have never ever considered myself to have power fed him, i fed him one appropriate size mouse once a week until he got to about 3 years old and 3 and a half foot long, i then considered him as an adult so changed to once a fortnight, however slowly over the oncoming months i noticed him slowly increasing in fat in his rear quarters which is where the main fat reserves are stored in this species of snake, he is now currently 4 and a half foot long or over and he weighs 800grams, for the past month or so i have cut his feeding down to one medium to large mouse every 3 weeks but to this day he still weighs 800grams so im gonna have to space out his feeding even more. and give him more excercise

however, i dont think people realize sometimes that their corn snakes are over weight, coz lets be honest people, snakes are a long serpent shaped animal and for a beginner whos never had experience in caring for snakes for long would probably believe that the girthier the body of the snake the more healthier and more impressive looking it looks. i got a local pet shop you see and when they have some big adults come in they look huge but i been looking a bit more closely now and alot of them are more over weight than what my precious blake is. but a corn snake should be a slender snake, obviously not as worm thin, but not like a german sausage either, obviously royal pythons are totally the opposite, from experience what i have seen they are supposed to be very chunky.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Edited by - heatseeker872591 on 29/11/2010 19:46:38
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  20:57:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heatseeker872591

however, i dont think people realize sometimes that their corn snakes are over weight, coz lets be honest people, snakes are a long serpent shaped animal and for a beginner whos never had experience in caring for snakes for long would probably believe that the girthier the body of the snake the more healthier and more impressive looking it looks. i got a local pet shop you see and when they have some big adults come in they look huge but i been looking a bit more closely now and alot of them are more over weight than what my precious blake is. but a corn snake should be a slender snake, obviously not as worm thin, but not like a german sausage either, obviously royal pythons are totally the opposite, from experience what i have seen they are supposed to be very chunky.

I totally agree. I think most of the problem is people comparing the girth of a corn to a boa or python of similar length in size and thinking that there's is too skinny.

I'd say 1kg+ is obese, anything past 800 is a bit big for most corns I would think unless you have a naturally muscley one or a huge long one. Although it is all debatable. If you compare the weight of people who have corns as "pets" to the people who breed many snakes, you will find that the breeders corns are more lower in weight and generally healthier which is quite interesting.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2010 :  22:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know its slightly off topic, but on the flipside how do you know if your feeding amount is right? after feeds my girl still seems to be hunting, how do i know if she's still hungry?

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  16:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I think I may be able to add to this post!

A while back I was pretty ill for a while and had to let my mum look after the snakes-problem is she has a history of over feeding things....pets....the birds outside...her children.. She saw an annaconda in one of my books once and beleives all snakes should be that big!

Anyway, my male snake, (aptly named Cornelious) put on weight and is still pretty big! When I first saw bumps on his sides I went down to the reptile store near me who before I could ask what it was-said that he was overweight!

Anyway, he's on a diet and has a strict exercise regime (slides in and outside his viv, slides up and down branches, slides through tubes and slides in the living room when nobody is in)--does anyone have any other ideas on snake exercise or should I just keep at this one?

Im now going to try add some pictures (hope it works..me an technology dont mix!) Oh and apologies for a long post..I do talk a lot

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  17:26:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

i know its slightly off topic, but on the flipside how do you know if your feeding amount is right? after feeds my girl still seems to be hunting, how do i know if she's still hungry?

Corns are greedy, they will always have a hunt round for extra food. In the wild if they came across a nest of mice for example, they would try and eat them all as they don't know when the next meal shall be. The only way you can kind of guess if it is the right amount is by age and size of mouse, kind of.

Chris the exercise seems fine to me :D there is also swimming that apparently works, have't tries it as forcing a snake too swim seems like it would be a bit stressful specially if the snake doesn't really like swimming in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  12:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, never seen a snake with a belly like that on it. I really like your idea with the toilet tubes. That looks like great fun. Im gonna try and make a good exercise viv for my little corn. He is handled very regularly so is already getting plenty of exercise, but he is very inquisitive, and I think he would enjoy that. Great topic, thanks. Jonny

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  12:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just got a 5yr old corn yesterday and noticed 2 bulges on it near the bottom of his tail. i have been told that it had been eating weaner rats but hadnt had anything for the past 2 weeks as he moved to the place i got it from. he weighs 800g. what do you recommend that i feed and how often??
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  18:02:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pictures would be helpful and how long is he? Some snakes can carry about 800g and look fine while others can look porky. If you also know how often he was fed rats it might give an idea.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  10:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say he looks pretty similar to the snake in the first pics on this post. he would be around 46 inches long. to be honest im not sure how often he was being fed before, but if he was previously got where i got him they would have been told to feed weekly.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:56:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Weekly is too much on weaners eeep. If you think he needs a deit, you could try a medium mouse every 2 weeks or 1 large every month and see if he drops any weight.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  18:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great will try and see how it goes. thanks
Go to Top of Page

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what and how often do adult corns need to be fed coz mines is 4 foot long weighs 500+ grams (thats all the scales go up to) but she takes 1 large a week

do you think that i need to feed her bigger things less often or is this alright

any help greately appreciated
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey stapey, would you mind re-uploading the picture that's been deleted off photobucket?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:21:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Opps! Must have happened when I had a jiffle around! If a mod could copy this picture and put it in the place of the deleted one :p Need to take better pictures really.

quote:
Originally posted by connorg96

what and how often do adult corns need to be fed coz mines is 4 foot long weighs 500+ grams (thats all the scales go up to) but she takes 1 large a week

do you think that i need to feed her bigger things less often or is this alright

any help greately appreciated

Depends really how old they are as even though it's an adult it may still be growing. At about 4 years old, my adults get fed every 2 weeks with a large or Jumbo mouse. I know others who feed their weekly on medium or large mice.

Go to Top of Page

ScottLola
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  23:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, you have come to my aid. Bad advise I was given has made my snake bulge near her hips. I of course thought the worst but you fantastic people have set my mind at rest... Time for a diet methinks!!!
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  17:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys, pretty sure Silver is a fatty!
I got the impression a week or so ago, and that shape giude has confirmed it.
He'll be on a diet from now on, and I love the exercise ideas!!
Going to use the toilet roll tube thing!

So I agree, not a silly thread at all, a very good idea infact :D

I'd love to hear more exercise ideas from people...

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  12:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help me as to how much I should be feeding Marley, She is 6 mth old, weighs 26 grams and is 19 inches long, she is eating 2 pinkies once a week and she almost inhales them they are gone so quick. Thanks

Victoria. Mum to 3 wonderful kids and :-
1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
0.1.0 Caramel Corn, Molly
2.0.1 Amel Corn. Harley and Dillon and Olly
0.2.0 Anery Corn. Marley and Daisy
0.3.0 Carolina Corn, Nesta and Doris and Rosie
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
3.1.0 cats, Harry, Kara, Henry and Rory.
0.0.1 Asian Flying tree frog,
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
0.0.2 Giant African Land Snails, Amira and Amiri
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  13:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vllb

Can anyone help me as to how much I should be feeding Marley, She is 6 mth old, weighs 26 grams and is 19 inches long, she is eating 2 pinkies once a week and she almost inhales them they are gone so quick. Thanks

Do they leave a bump in her belly after she has swallowed them?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000