Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  11:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My snake is just over 4ft and weighs 480g, he dosn't look fat at all!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

stroodsue
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  00:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya! am new to snakes! I have an amelanistic corn, George, around one year old, just under 25inches long, 53g empty yesterday, I am at the moment feeding him a fuzzie weekly, I have just been told he is underweight..?? do you agree? here is a photo taken this week of him. his body is like an arch not a circle and defo not a triangle! so i am confused folks! help,
should i be feeding him on bigger?? hoppers? 5 days between? or amybe 2 fuzzies at a time for wee while? bear in mind I dont have his true age!

here's pic.

waiting for advise please as i seem to be getting conflicting comments on another page grrr..

thank you
Sue

Edited by - gmac on 23/09/2011 00:43:06
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  09:21:05  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good and healthy to me (beautiful too)...i would like to ask who told you he is underweight, and what that persons snakes look like...

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

stroodsue
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't on here, another snake forum, did make me a tad nervous as i have looked a t a chart thingy, and i reckon he'd an arch shape, certainly NOT triangle shape, underfed, NOR circle shape, Over fed!

So i not overy concerned anymore, but its interesting that from a photo someone, well 3 came up with he looks underweight/fed grrr

Sue
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  19:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A snake that size is not underweight, he is a good body shape. What they may have been referring to is that he is a small snake for his age but that's not a good or bad thing, snakes grow at different rates, for example my year old corn is around 150 grams but there is another snake on here that is the similar age that's double that again so it does vary quite a lot. A fuzzy does sound a bit small for him though, does it leave a good sized bump in the stomach? If it doesn't then you could consider moving up a size or feeding 2 fuzzies, its hard to get yor head around just what they can eat, my guy is on medium to large mice. The guide is the mouse should be around (but no more than) 1.5 times the thickness of the snake at its thickest point, this does sound wrong with corns having such small heads but they do just fine eating something of that size once a week.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  20:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he looks the perfect shape to me :)

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page

manda88
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1002 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  14:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sta~ple, do you have an update on Venom's progress? I'd be really interested to hear how he's getting on!
I think a few of my corns are getting a little on the chunky side, but not like horrendously...whaddya think?

He did need a poo here, but his lower 3rd/4th is a bit squidgey, the rest of him seems fine though, like if I cut him in half he'd be bread shape

And this girly is the same as above squidgey-wise

She's bigger than him at around 200g and 3ft+, and he's around 150g and the same length. He's currently on small mice every 7-10 days and she's on small mice every 2 weeks so I am trying to slim her down. I've got one other boy who is FAT haha, got fat lumps from his bottom half down, he's on small mice every 2 weeks but I should probably make that 3 weeks, I get too over excited about feeding them!

Wanna know what animals I keep? Check out www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles :)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  16:29:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow those are gorgeous snakes! I don't know to be honest, I wouldn't like to guess with snakes that aren't adults, they just look like they need poops lol.

Venom now weighs about 907g, so he's lost about 286g. Through deiting he has been fed one large every month and the next year was like 1 medium every month. I'm changing his feeding to one small mouse every 2 weeks to see if that speeds up his weight loss because it may speed up his metabolism.

That's how his bum tapers now

That's his muffin tops :P still got the same amount as when he started but cimpared to what it was, they look a hell of a lot better. Before his scales had like broke off at the tips or even in half as he was that fat, now he has whole or almost whole ones that are just folded.

Over all body shape :D he look loafy in the hold half of him, it's just the bottom half which the fat seems to be very spread out all over, it's not just in one area.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  01:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, I'm glad I came back to look at this again- its nice to see the update/continuing progress of venom's diet- and the pics- he looks fantastic in these latest, compared to the first ones! doing well, sta~ple

I came back for a slight concern about my 3yo carolina girly- she has an almost permanent bulgy bum-a bit like manda's top pic, but slightly more so. and its all the time, not just pre-poo.
is this a sign that she's overweight? cos I read in another thread somewhere a comment by somebody along the lines that females have more bulgy bums anyway, its a gender thing. is this true?

I also weighed her again recently an she's put on 80g in 6 weeks,(from 301 to 381) it seemed a lot to me, but I'm no expert.. (hence the questions!)
I haven't measured her length before/after, so don't know if she's grown in proportion to the weight gain- though she did shed in early february, which indicates some growth, I think??

she's been having a large mouse weekly, occasionally a jumbo one, I'm wondering if I should drop her food size? or feed her less often. Opinions, suggestions or ideas, please?

thanks in advance. if I can keep her healthier just by acquiring a little extra info it would be fab.

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  08:01:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was males that had more bulgey bums due to the hemipenis and all that XD If you can measure her with http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure or get a photo. How often you feeding jumbos? I know jumbos can make them a bit tubby if fed too much.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kimmeywooo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  11:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great post! i was a little worried on how to know if mine were getting too fat/too skinny, as I see lots of snakes of the same age as mine and all different sizes! but now I know they're okay, I was just being paranoid :)

1.0 standard grey x black velvet chinchilla, Gizmo
1.0 lavender corn het diffused, Loki
0.1 striped amel corn, het hypo, bloodred & lavender, Juno
1.0 dogue de bordeaux, Hooch
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  13:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, he's looking a lot better there Stapey!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jenn
Hatchling

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2012 :  05:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very cool post, I would have missed it due to no new posting, so TY for the update! Venom looks Phenom since the first post!!!! You should be so proud of him and buy him a ladder , or pool or some sorta exercise equipment for his progress, (since an extra mouse would go against his diet!) It was awesome to see everyone elses posts also, now I know what to look for and how to diet my 6... (7 tomorrow!!!) I am thinking maybe...my Anery is a bit obease and my male but, poor little snow is underweight, shes been the only egg layer this year so shes a bit skinny still. Feeding all adults 2 adult mice weekly and my yearling 2 hoppers. Hatchies are every 3-5 days as you all have reccomended, with the exception of one of them who got a .. pink/fuzzy, sorta in between, he did it no issues and hes 6... wow 6 weeks. He is the only one I sold out of the clutch and an awesome feeder, all on shedule etc. when do you start slowing down hatchie feeds????

Go to Top of Page

Jenn
Hatchling

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2012 :  18:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so after reading, I said yes, and went today to pick up a male snow. HOLY LOVE HANDLES!!! lol. 2 Jumbos every 3 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Jenn
Hatchling

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2012 :  19:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm think hes a fatty?

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2012 :  20:14:06  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh my :P

Did you get asked whether its bum looks big in that?

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2012 :  21:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor snake, he is a bit of a porker

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Jenn
Hatchling

Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  07:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, so just weighed Gummy...663g @ 4'. I am going to do reduced size ( one normal adult) every two weeks, he definatley has the bread loaf going on!

Go to Top of Page

monalisa70
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  18:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey was just wondering about my corn saber 3 years about 700g 4 1/2 ft she is not on mice as she wont eat them.she is on 1 rat weaner a week but she doesn't look too chunky

4.2.5 corns
2.1.0 royals
1 BCI
1 MBK
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  23:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - I just noticed with Rosie that she is looking paler on her back as there is white showing around the scales. She is 6 months old and just moved up to fluffs. I have been feeding her every 5 days. I can't decide if there is a slight bulge to her bread shape or not. Is this a sign that she might be over weight or is it just that she is now growing quickly?

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000