Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Steph7990
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  08:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to say that my husband was extremely happy to have witnessed our snake shed mid afternoon and right at the front of his home, as if putting on a display for him
Go to Top of Page

mjones
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2013 :  10:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all, just bought our first corn 3 wks ago, he is doing brill, seems settled, feeding we;; so far(although not spotted any poo yet in the faun)just wondering when he will shed? according to his records, he shed 4 wks ago. Would appreciate any advice on this matter, oh just to mention he is an 7 wk old amel.

mjones
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2013 :  13:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjones

hi all, just bought our first corn 3 wks ago, he is doing brill, seems settled, feeding we;; so far(although not spotted any poo yet in the faun)just wondering when he will shed? according to his records, he shed 4 wks ago. Would appreciate any advice on this matter, oh just to mention he is an 7 wk old amel.

Hmm.. it's very concerning you have not found any faeces. I recommend laying newspaper / kitchen roll as substrate, as this will make it easier to spot. Mine shed on average every 4-5 weeks. But this does get more infrequent the older they get. Mine also go around 2-3 days after a feed just for a point of reference.
Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  15:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have read this a hundred times but as a noob its just so reassuring while the first shed happens.

0.1 Corn- Carolina- Lady Sybil Deidre Olgivanna Vimes (née Ramkin), Duchess of Ankh
1.0 Corn- Granite het charcoal- His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.
1.0 MBK- Feegle
1.0 corn- anery/ghost motley, Pewsey Ogg
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  08:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad it's been helpful LadySybil . I know I was totally unprepared when my first corn shed and the amount of times we get questions about the fact that the eyes have cleared up but there isn't a shed, could the snake have eaten it !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  19:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum... Old skin... lol

I know it will soon become old hat but the first one is so exciting, everyday is like christmas eve on groundhog day lol

0.1 Corn- Carolina- Lady Sybil Deidre Olgivanna Vimes (née Ramkin), Duchess of Ankh
1.0 Corn- Granite het charcoal- His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.
1.0 MBK- Feegle
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  04:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that was exciting...

Had to help her cos it just wasnt happening for her, it seemed like it was stuck with super glue!
Damp face cloth to the rescue following the advice on here and no panic at all, just assessed the situation, saw she needed help and I knew what to do thanks to this thread!
She knew I was helping her as well as I could feel her pushing against me.

I cant see her head piece in her faun so I am going to clean it out properly tomorrow and see if I can find it but what she had managed to get off herself was all bitty and broken up, plus her eyes are really really shiny so I think she managed her head but I am double checking just in case.

1.0 MBK- Feegle
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  08:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Sybil had a problem shedding LadySybil, but so glad you were able to help her . I know what you mean about how she seemed to know you were helping her. I've only ever had to do that once with mine and instead of fighting me, like she normally would, she worked with me the way Sybil did.

It would certainly be good if you were able to find the head piece, although going by what you've said it may be in such small pieces it's hard to find or identify. Hopefully you should be able to tell if she has any retained on her head and it sounds as though she doesn't. Better safe than sorry though, if possible.

I'm always aware that my snakes sometimes have more issues with shedding in the winter and wonder if it's got to do with the central heating being on, drying out the atmosphere. It may be worthwhile upping the humidity in her viv next time you notice her going blue to try to stop this happening again.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  13:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had been putting damp paper towels in a hide in her warm end but that obviously wasnt enough for her, I am definitely buying some of the moss for next shed.

She is so strong for such a little thing, amazing how their muscles work. After we had finished our first shed she curled up in my pj chest pocket and popped her head out, if I didnt know better I would say she was thanking me for helping her. Soppy sod, I know lol.

It doesnt look like she has any retained head shed (lol) but Ive taken a couple pictures, which I will upload later, to see if I have missed any. I cant find anything obvious in the faun just flakes here and there, not one big bit so I am hoping that its just unrecognisable/ too small for me to see against the aspen.

1.0 MBK- Feegle
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  08:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done for putting in the damp paper towels. I've never used a 'damp' hide before but have found that adding an extra water bowl on the heatmat, putting a damp flannel over the warm hide and misting the warm end lightly once a day works really well. I've got 2 snakes in blue at the moment but know my chances of seeing either 1 shed .

And yes, you are a soppy sod....like so many of us .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  13:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For next time I will use a moss hide and an extra water bowl in the warm end. Might even give her a bath, it has to go better than bathing a cat lol.

I hope you do get to see one of them shedding and not because they are having issues!

1.0 MBK- Feegle
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000