Worried and need help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  12:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have had my corn snake for 3 years now without any issues but as of about 2 weeks ago he has been acting a little strange, a lot more active then usual and as of about a week ago I have noticed a strange small black scab on the side of hes mouth. Also he hasn't eaten for a few weeks now. I have tried everything to get him to eat but he will not.

This is the first time I have had issues with the snake since I have gotten him years ago and i am quite worried it will get worse.
I have images of the scab but I don't know how to upload them any help would be greatly appreciated.

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:03:08  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for the best answers people will need to see if the images, do u have a photo bucket account? if not make one www.photobucket.com upload the image to there then it wil give u a IMG code, copy and paste that code into a reply on here, hope that helps.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:23:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pics would definitely help

has anything changed recently?

could the scab be caused by something in the viv? or could it be a mite?

what have you tried so far re. feeding and how often are you offering a feed?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  14:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have tried feeding him live and dead mice and with the dead ones i have tried warming them with my hands i have tried leaving him and the dead mouse in a dark room and he shows no interest what so ever.this is why i am quiet worried because he has always been such a healthy snake and never turned hes nose up at food until recently.This all did happen after I re arranged hes cage. no hes cage is clean so not a mite. I am worried he will continue to turn hes nose up at food and also that this problem could get worse. thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  14:17:51  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a look in his mouth to see what its like in there,use something soft to open his mouth like a cotton wool bud stick,might have a bit of mouth rot.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  14:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how will i know if he has mouth rot? thanks
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  15:03:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking along the same lines as lee now i've seen the pics.......

look for any cheesey or white/creamy yellow stuff in his mouth
if it IS stomatitis / mouth rot he'll probably need a course of antibiotics

alternatively, if it's just the bit pictured, it could be a result of over-zealous shedding behaviour - your snake looks like it's currently in blue - due to shed. the damaged area should heal and shed out with time, maybe with a little assistance shedding in the future

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  11:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a look in hes mouth and everything was fine but he still wont eat. I have read that you can use betadine diluted with water on snake sores I was wondering if this would help him at all?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  12:11:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to be honest i'd just leave it, it's scabbed over and will shed out, just keep an eye out for any swelling, soreness or discharge

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  14:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has finally shed and the scab has fallen off and I have tried feeding him but he still wont eat. he is starting to get very limb and weak.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  23:50:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you say you've tried everything to get him to eat what do you mean? What have you tried? We might be able to come up with some extra ideas to try....
Have you had him from a hatchling, making him 3 years old now?
I'm just wondering if it might have anything to do with the seasons and his age......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  08:46:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in the meantime you could try critical care formula or reptoboost in his water, or a bath of 50% powerade and 50 %water

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I have had him since a hatchling. I have tried live and dead mice, dead mice warmed in my hand to resemble freshly dead mice, try leaving him in a dark room with the mouse for hours on end next thing I am thinking of doing which I have read about is force feeding him and I do not want to resort to that as it is stressful for the snake and myself. thanks and your help is appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:04:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are so many more things you can try such as braining a car ride and scenting.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:53:39  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try warm the deam mouse with a hair dryer, it will get alot warmer than doing it in ur hand, hope he gets eating.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  12:40:54  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some of the basic tricks you could try, as well as those already suggested, are wash the mouse in warm water, rub some tuna or chicken skin on the mouse, if you keep lizards put some of their scent onto the mouse,try giving a smaller sized mouse. These are easy things to try. Give them a go before going down the force feeding route. Hope this helps.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  08:42:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
warming it in your hand puts your own scent on it which could be off-putting to the snake
i only directly handle food items to get them out of the freezer, after that i handle them with tongs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000