Settling in period.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  17:50:19  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A girl on this site has just bought a snake.
She's handling it straight away without a settling in period.
And because some snake owner has told her that the snake isn't stressed and he's had "20 years experience" she seems to think the settling in period doesn't apply lol.
What are your guys/girls thoughts on the situation?
I don't mean to stick my nose in but the main priority has to be the snake.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be very honest I did also handle Nimbus before the 7 day settle period was over. We gave it just 4 days and even fed him on day 4 as he was due. He has been great since. No problems, not stressed, just one very happy snake.

Nimbus is 6 months old though and very used to being handled as the shop staff loved him. I kept a close eye on him and felt sure he was ok to start handeling earlier than suggested.

If he had been a younger hatchling, not so much used to being handled, then I would have waited the full 7 days and taken things much more slowly.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:18:52  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To me it looks like a hatchling, but only seen a small msn DP picture.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK she's finally told me...
It's 12 weeks old.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handled my yearling snake straight away no settling in period year ago, I didn't know any better. If I had know, I would have given him that time as now it is obvious why he rattled his tail at me when I didn't let him settle in.

I think it can depend on the snake, some are fine without it. It also depends on the species of snake I imagine, I bet some are more stressy than others and are recommend to have an even longer settling in period. They don't tend to show stress right away though, it can take a few days. All animals should really have a kind of settling in period, just because reptiles don't tend to show it very well doesn't mean they don't need it. Would she rather leave the snake for a few days knowing that it would make the snake feel better or keep touching him and increase a possibly of feeding problems, striking and tail rattling

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:50:56  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
think the settling period is more of a guideline/advice rather than a golden rule. although i personaly have found it does help! :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  18:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, your opinions count :).
I thought I was right, but the fact the person said just because her friend has more experience then I must be wrong lol.
But you lot confirm it :).

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  19:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I'd resisted the temptation to handle Pliskin soon after his arrival but I didn't realize the importance of letting him settle in, felt racked with guilt for stressing him he seems much happier now though, he's had 7 days of being left alone (bar essential water fills and peeps through to check on him) and he's so much better now, out of his hide more and quite chilled looking

If I get another snake in future(an increasing possibility!) I'd definately leave them alone to settle x

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  20:28:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

I wish I'd resisted the temptation to handle Pliskin soon after his arrival but I didn't realize the importance of letting him settle in, felt racked with guilt for stressing him he seems much happier now though, he's had 7 days of being left alone (bar essential water fills and peeps through to check on him) and he's so much better now, out of his hide more and quite chilled looking

If I get another snake in future(an increasing possibility!) I'd definately leave them alone to settle x

I think that answers your question very well.
(Also noted the bit about increasing possibility of another snake!!!)

To be honest it will depend a lot on the snake. Some will really benefit from a settling in period and others are fine no matter what!
I would always go on the side of caution with a new snake and give it a few days to see how it reacts with me.
I would suggest the person with 20 years experience is lucky to have had such a long time with no 'issues' at all. I had one hatchling who wouldn't eat and would have really freaked out at being handled without a long period of settling, over the suggested 7 days!
But in this world it's each to his own.
I do think it's wrong of somebody to put you down when you only had the snakes best interest at heart. But I may well be the one in the wrong for saying such a thing.

All you can do is gently give your opinion and hope the snake will be ok.
Don't forget they are quite hardy little creatures and can, if they unfortunately have to, take a fair amount of ill advised treatment!

Be reassured that you have done your best.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  20:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just can't help it herriotfan! They're such lovely creatures x

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  21:01:12  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

I just can't help it herriotfan! They're such lovely creatures x

Too true....couldn't agree more and all that!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  21:18:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i personally think 'the 7 days rule' is a load of **** and don't handle any new arrivals until I know they are eating well. This would be a minimum of 2 1/2 weeks - one week without food, a feed, then another week, then another feed, then a few days to digest properly. If after the 2 weeks the new arrival hasn't eaten twice then they get left alone until they have done in consecutive weeks.

As a side note, my snakes aren't 'handled' (sorry, I don't much care for that word!) very often at all, only for essential maintenance (cleaning etc) and the occasional photo shoot to keep any unnecessary stress to a bare minimum :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000