Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:28:58  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this was started on the darkside but as usual ended up with everyone getting banned/hating each other and all the other things that are standard

my opinion is its good that young people are interested in reps as they dont really have a good name to them anyway. but i do think is stupid when teenagers get big snakes like boa's

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:35:56  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you ask me, i think its an awsome thing! earlier the better! Just as long as the parents a prepared to take over and care for the rep when/if you get bored.

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:38:09  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont think i can get bored :) i love working in my rep shop and meeting all diffrent sorts of reptiles :) if i do go uni my dad isnt scared of snakes at all so i know i can still my snakes and that there at a good home :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont see age as a problem, as long as they are caring and respectfull.

Snakes of any size demand respect, what i also disagree with is ppl getting the larger snakes as first timers....

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also say that having children interested in animals is a good thing and teaching them about their care and having them actively involved in their upkeep is teaching them responsibility. As long as they understand the animals that they are keeping then I see no problem in allowing children the opportunity to own a pet. Though I wouldn't say that a reptile is a starter animal, thats what goldfish are for.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread and guarenteed to get mixed replies!

My personal view is that its always good to have people interested in reptiles, I've had to wait until 23 before I could get a corn as my parents dislike reptiles! With young keepers there may be more of a tendency to impulse buy, which may be a problem. If they can care for a big snake then all to the good, but if it rapidly outgrows their ability to house it, then its having to find a new owner or struggling to keep it that could be difficult. I must admit I hate to think people buy big snakes as status symbols!

For me safety has to be key for the animal and owner, quite young handlers might need adult supervision to ensure the animals safety and if they have a large python etc, a young kid should really be supervised when handling just to minimize any potential risk should the python etc give them a loving hug by accident!

But only my views these

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

Edited by - Newbie on 15/01/2011 21:43:46
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:55:33  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Though I wouldn't say that a reptile is a starter animal, thats what goldfish are for.

my friend looks after his beardies soooooooooooo well but his fish he just left to his dad :/

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

this was started on the darkside but as usual ended up with everyone getting banned/hating each other and all the other things that are standard

my opinion is its good that young people are interested in reps as they dont really have a good name to them anyway. but i do think is stupid when teenagers get big snakes like boa's

Certainly don't think its a bad thing in general but like everything else it does have variables. My brother got his first snake at 13 and is great with them. Better than some of the older keepers i have seen.

I know people somewhat local who have supposedly been keeping snakes for almost 10 years, but you tell them the importance of a stat and they look at you like your an idiot.

As for them keeping larger snakes, i guess that depends on just how large, i think he would be fine with some as large as a BCI but not much bigger, atleast not for the mean time.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Doogle
Yearling

United Kingdom
617 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Doogle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think its a good thing! I have sold 3 now to youngsters and when i hear off there parents now i find they love them and treat them as well as anyone!

I find the ones that usually want a snake is the ones that take the time to read up and learn what the snake needs!

I have even just donated a snake to a school for the science department and the teacher came and picked it up!

He had loads of great ideas and no child was aloud to hold it etc intill they passed a handling course! Thought that was a great idea! (Heard from him not so long back and they love it) So do the teachers!

But it all depends on the maturity and attitude of the child in the end!

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

My brother got his first snake at 13

i got mine at 14 but 2 months research was well done before i even thought of going out to buy one

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think it's a great thing if kids are into reptile and their parents give them the go ahead to get one.

The parents do have to be involved though as depending on the age of the child it will be up to the parents to buy the food, viv and equipment.

Also the parents and children have to understand that some reptiles, like our corn snakes, can live for many years and if a child gets a snake at say 13 years old, that snake will still be around and need caring for when the child is in their mid twenties and older!

I wish I had been allowed a snake when I was younger but my parents always said no. I had my daughter quite early so that kept me busy, but now at the grand old age of 32 (nearly 33 argh!) I am finally able to start owning snakes :)
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  22:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok interesting thread!!! My 7 year old has asked for a corn snake of her own,,, I have said NO! HOWEVER I this very evening have allowed my 3year old with special educational needs to hold Gollum this eve under extra supervision (both me n dad were on hand to intervene). My 7yr old has slept out tonight but no doubt it will be her turn tmorrow!

From this I have made a conclusion I shall allow my kids to hold the snakes under supervision and have agree when myeldest reaches 13 she can have one of her own....

Again this is on the guideline I will know what I am doing and be prepared to take on the snake shoould they be pushed aside at a later date but I only see it as a good thing. If they have parental consent n their parents willing to take the overall responsibility why not?
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  23:37:17  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think age isnt important, providing parents are there to support and are prepared to take over as said previously. I think its great to encourage responsibility and respect for such creatures. BUT I do think that the child/children should have the capability to show minimal maturity just the make sure that they arent going to poke and pull and stuff, but it is great, I will encourage my children to have pets when I have them, even though I am only 17 atm! xD
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:02:53  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say, with some experience working in a pet store, that kids are NOT always that trust-worthy where animals are concerned, and it really does depend on the child as to whether the novelty of 'pet snake' will wear off. I don't have an issue with FAMILIES owning snakes, but personally, I would not feel comfortable having one particular child 'own' a snake over the other members of the family. I mean, all children at some stage will want a hamster. Then they'll want a rabbit. Then a dog, and so on. Sure, as a 'starter' pet, a hamster may be great, but what happens to that hamster when the child decides it wants something better; more sociable, more handleable, something that won't keep them up all night? Iunno, I guess I come from an area where the novelty of these pets wore off real quick, as the amount of 'rehomes' we had to do with rabbits, hamsters,gerbils and guineas because the children involved no longer 'liked' their pet was astounding. A snake lives for a LOT longer then a hamster or rabbit, and so, is a much greater responsibility.

I agree, it teaches a child to be responsible, owning a pet, but think, if there is a parent that really doesn't do well with snakes, or reptiles in general, but agreed that so long as that child looked after it, in their own room, they could have it, and the child then decides, actually, I want something else, or even I don't want that any more? What can that parent do but fret themselves sick over handling and feeding the reptile, or else trying to sell it on in a climate where they don't tend to sell very well, especially if they are an older snake - everyone wants hatchies, don't they? They want to 'see it grow'. Iunno. As I said, it REALLY does depend on the family and the children/teenagers (I'm sorta lumping kids and teens together for the point of this discussion - in fact, I would probably say teenagers are worse for impulse buying, later realising how much these pets cost in terms of heating and then disregard it, sell it on, no longer interested). I guess I'm just a bit of an old fart and believe that, as lovely as corns are, they CAN be quite wild, and I know if a child is bitten, that's it, isn't it, for that snake, especially in families completely in adept at coping with the situation, and even for snakes that suddenly start raising the bills of their family. No amount of research will necessarily explain to you that your electricity bill is going to go up, same as it doesn't when you keep tropical or marine fish.

I seem to be a bit of a loner on this side of the fence, but that's my point of view. I feel snakes are too much of a responsibility to allow a young person to say 'yes, I want it', unless you can guarantee 100% that they are going to be trustworthy and not lose interest within a year or two. Snakes live too long to just become some room ornament that gets ignored most of its life, and then the one time it is disturbed, bites the wrong thing and becomes 'an issue'. Like I said, maybe I come from an area where the novelty of pets gets lost too fast, but if I was a breeder, I would want to ensure that selling to a young person, there is a support network that is strong about them, meeting family and parents especially, to ensure that if that snake is later disregarded by the young person, it will still be cared for, not just chucked at the nearest pet store to be rehomed, or sold for stupid prices to the next person that thinks that a pet snake is awesome and a right bragging right!

Please don't brick me XDDDD

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kids (9 and 13) both have snakes (corn and royal each) and beardies. They look after them, feed them, water them, handle them and clean them out. BUT that is because I know what is involved in their care and what responsibilities goes with it. I wouldnt expect my kids to pay for food or VETS bills (yet).

quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh

[center]
I seem to be a bit of a loner on this side of the fence, but that's my point of view. I feel snakes are too much of a responsibility to allow a young person to say 'yes, I want it', unless you can guarantee 100% that they are going to be trustworthy and not lose interest within a year or two.

I agree to a fashion but there is now way you cant guarantee that anybody, let alone a child, will not lose interest. We have seen it on this forum from adults.

Edited by - gmac on 16/01/2011 00:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:14:56  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think generally people presume younger people are always more likely to be involved in the negative, but from experience, its usually the minority and in fact adults can be far worse. It sure is a shame, but oh well. :/
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:18:21  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly not saying it is just kids and teens that lose interest, but you know, that's what they thread is about, so I stayed specific, lol! I am fully aware there are going to be people, especially like yourself, who breeds and have an expansive collection, that are going to always be there for those children that have their own reptiles, and because you know the care that is needed, will be able to chastise your children into the continual care they need, without it being an issue, until it becomes second nature to those children to do the necessary checks, feeds and regular handling. Some parents, however, are definitely not so knowledgeable, nor do THEY do the research involved to understand their child's pet, then have no idea what to do when something goes wrong. I know I'm generalising, but you know, I can't personally evaluate every living individual that owns snakes, and allows their children to own them XD And there are going to be parents that DO expect their kids to help pay for food and the like - after all, they wanted it, they have to help pay for it!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My little man is only 4 months but im planning n getting him int snakes. But I will only be keeping corns/kings ect. Anything that cant cause to much damgage if it did decide to strike.. I think its good to get kids to understand diffrent types of animals!
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:42:05  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
also i think its good as most reps dont have good reputations to start with and adults seeing kids handling royals and corns makes them more confident with reptiles :) plus it is another generation of reptile keepers who will be hopefully helping future reptile keepers :)

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  00:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my first reptiles when i was 11
Of course i didnt pay for their food then, but i cared them by myself (just like i do with my zoo now!)

As long as the animals (reptiles or otherwise) are getting the proper care and the owner knows how to and is willing to care for them then i dont see age as an issue
Go to Top of Page

MickyB
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  09:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got my first when i was 13/14 cali king hatchling raised it til i was 19 never had a problem but like others say thats down to previous research infortunatly had to go when i impregegnated the missus and new house woudnt accept pets jus ordered the faun getting a hatchling corn this year as new house does accept pets
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000