Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andrew.1994
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  13:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi im new to this site,
but about a week ago i saw a corn snake advertised on the internet so i got talking to the people and they came and delivered it to me today on the advert it said 'corn snake a setup' so i thought everything came with but i asked just incase and they still said it did. so anyway today they dropped it of and it had no heating the tank was filthy and the snake was stone cold i said were's the heating and they said the snake has never heating so i still took the snake because i thought they were mistreating it im really worried what do i do? ive put a temp heat lamp over it

1.0.0 Anery Motley Het Hypo Corn Snake
0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
2.2.0 Budgies
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
1.0.0 Royal Python

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andrew,

first things 1st you need someway of measuring the temp whilst using that heat lamp (ie a digital thermometer with a probe),but most importantly you need to get the following as soon as possible (today preferebly)
you need to get yourself a heatmat, and thermostat, either a habistat matstat or microclimate ministat would be fine.
with these at least you can provide your new snake with the appropriate heat gradient.
hides and substrate you can find around the house, newspaper for substrate and something for them to hide under, kitchen roll tube is very acceptable.
this should get you started. i'm sure one of our more experience forum members will be along to give further advice but this will do for a start.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good on you for probably rescuing a snake from a not so happy end! some people should be banned from having pets at all! All you can do is clean the viv out (dettol disinfectant MASSIVELY diluted will do. a vetinary disinfectant would be better) change substrate (newspaper will be fine if you have nothing else around) and get a heat lamp and stat set up asap. You mite struggle a bit as its sunday but "pets at home" are open till 4 in most places and will have most things ud need. Other than that check to see if the snake seems healthy (tounge flicking and moving around are good signs). if you have any other snakes, id keep this one seperate until you've ascertained his exact health and condition.

sounds like you did the right thing and you've come to the right place for advice!

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

andrew.1994
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice the first this i did was get the snake out and clean the tank. my uncle is on his way over to bring me a thermostat thanks for the advice and your right some people shouldn't be able to keep pets

1.0.0 Anery Motley Het Hypo Corn Snake
0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
2.2.0 Budgies
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
1.0.0 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good on yah Andrew, nice save

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  14:55:40  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm really new to corn snakes so can't offer any more advise than you've already been given, but I just wanted to say well done for rescuing this poor little guy. It's amazing he has survived this long in such awful conditions.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000