New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zippy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  12:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new here and don't have a corn yet but I have plans for the near future. Just a quick question about heat mats. I always thought that heat mats could not go inside the viv and so wooden vivs were inappropriate for corns as the mat would not work from the outside. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the mat can infact go inside under the substrate so long as it is controlled with a mat stat. Could anyone confirm this and explain briefly how to set up a wooden viv for a corn. I do have a spare 3 foot wooden viv but had thought I couldnt use it. Thanks

1 anery corn snake
2 dogs
4 rescue rabbits
6 gerbils
1 leopard gecko
1 bearded dragon
1 garter snake

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  13:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
take one wooden viv, place heatmat inside so it covers around 1/3 - 1/2 the floor space on one side, make sure thermostat and thermometer probes are on the mat (can be weighed down by a hide or tied together) and that they are both working, put a super light covering of substrate over the heatmat and build it up to around an inch on the cooler side (aspen or beech chips are good), put a few hides in and some vines/logs etc to make it comfier and cosy and there you go!
oh and dont forget the water bowl

the heatmats have a protective4 covering over them so as long as the viv is kept relatively clean and any spills/poops etc are cleaned up quickly there shouldn't be any issues with them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  16:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is also possible to place the heat mat on the side of the viv( they work via infrared and radiate heat.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  17:02:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No it is not. Heatmats work to heat by contact, not air. Think of a heatmat as a hot water bottle. Won't warm the room but if you snuggle it, you will be warm.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  17:46:08  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The heat mat should be on the floor in the inside of the viv.

If you find the snake goes under the mat you can use aquarium sealant to stick it down or even pin the clear edges of the mat down using drawing pins (it was someone on this forum who suggested this and I thought it was a great idea).

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  17:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

pin the clear edges of the mat down using drawing pins (it was someone on this forum who suggested this and I thought it was a great idea).

Its a great idea until one gets lose, comes out, and the snake falls on it.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  18:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Think of a heatmat as a hot water bottle. Won't warm the room but if you snuggle it, you will be warm.

Brilliant!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

zippy10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  18:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know this sounds like a stupid question but how do you get the plug from the heatmat to the outside to plug in?

1 anery corn snake
2 dogs
4 rescue rabbits
6 gerbils
1 leopard gecko
1 bearded dragon
1 garter snake
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  18:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a viv but I think you can put the mat in before you put the lid on when you assemble it. Or just take the plug off, push wire through hole then pop plug back on. :)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  18:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately a lot of new heat mats have molded plugs on them, so when you cut the plug off, you cant reuse the same one.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  18:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

if you have a wooden viv, the plug runs up the back on the inside, and you will find at the top ont he back 2 x semi circle cut outs, u put the wire through this (before putting the top on) and seal the remaineder space with aquarium sealant

I think you can turn that back bit upside down so the holes are at the bottom. Saves having the wires running up the back of the viv.

Also don't forget to seal the viv before you use it.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  19:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

if you have a wooden viv, the plug runs up the back on the inside, and you will find at the top ont he back 2 x semi circle cut outs, u put the wire through this (before putting the top on) and seal the remaineder space with aquarium sealant

I think you can turn that back bit upside down so the holes are at the bottom. Saves having the wires running up the back of the viv.

Also don't forget to seal the viv before you use it.

My Gosh I will actually have to try that Lou *_* I wish I thought of that! Just will have to seal up the cable holes super duper so substrate doesn't fall out of the holes

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

other option is cut the plug half way, and then join it using insulation tape,

or wire it into a new plug,

the latter is the safest, but the first idea is best

Don't ever just use tape to connect wire together, you can buy connectors from B&Q but the best bet is to keep wires in tact from a to b and put a new plug on.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  22:06:44  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I blocked my wire holes with a shaved down piece of wine cork lightly glued into place. That way if I need to put any other item with wires in then I can easily do this. Not sure how easy it would be with sealed in wires etc.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  22:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucyloop

I blocked my wire holes with a shaved down piece of wine cork lightly glued into place. That way if I need to put any other item with wires in then I can easily do this. Not sure how easy it would be with sealed in wires etc.

Do you have a lot of wine cork knocking about? lol

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  22:41:44  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by lucyloop

Do you have a lot of wine cork knocking about? lol

welll...there is a fair bit tbh!
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:19:10  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

never ever join electrical cabling with just tape, as all it takes is a small miscalculation or slip and there you have it an electrical fire or worse, someone or something dead.
if you wish to cut and rejoin wires, use terminal connectors from any shop that sells tools (even poundland sells them).
i have actually seen the after effects of an electric shock as thats my specaility due to my father being a fully fledged electrician and doing whats been suggested is just plain stupid and dangerous.

sorry all if that seems abit harsh and going off the thread subject but playing with electrics is the same as playing with someones life

Edited by - ilovemypets1988 on 04/03/2011 07:19:51
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

never ever join electrical cabling with just tape, as all it takes is a small miscalculation or slip and there you have it an electrical fire or worse, someone or something dead.
if you wish to cut and rejoin wires, use terminal connectors from any shop that sells tools (even poundland sells them).
i have actually seen the after effects of an electric shock as thats my specaility due to my father being a fully fledged electrician and doing whats been suggested is just plain stupid and dangerous.

sorry all if that seems abit harsh and going off the thread subject but playing with electrics is the same as playing with someones life

Um, possibly a bit Unnecessary seeing as it was already pointed out by lotabob!!

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:

Don't ever just use tape to connect wire together, you can buy connectors from B&Q but the best bet is to keep wires in tact from a to b and put a new plug on.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000