Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  00:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys! I bought this corn snake a couple of weeks ago and the shop owner said this was a rare type of corn snake called a Mega Corn, I thought his coloration was amazing so I got him over the more common types. I searched what a mega corn was and I found out that its a cross between a rat snake and a corn snake! I was just wondering if this is true and whether Gino is in fact a mega or one of the morphs?

Most of the pics were the first ones I ever took of him but he was due to shed so he looks a lot more duller, the last pic is the most recent one of him

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  00:50:59  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In some he looks like an ordinary Anery, and in others, a Carolina. I can't see any indication of rat snake in there, but I guess I could be wrong. For a definite answer on whether there is rat snake in his ancestry, you'd need to do a scale-count, which I believe can be found on a rat snake site that is linked in another thread here. If you ask me though, he's straight up Carolina, and you've been played *.*'''

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  00:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He just looks like a normal corn to me.

I hope you didn't pay mega bucks for him!
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  01:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh

In some he looks like an ordinary Anery, and in others, a Carolina. I can't see any indication of rat snake in there, but I guess I could be wrong. For a definite answer on whether there is rat snake in his ancestry, you'd need to do a scale-count, which I believe can be found on a rat snake site that is linked in another thread here. If you ask me though, he's straight up Carolina, and you've been played *.*'''

Hmmmm, do all carolinas have the yellowish dots in the coloration, if so then I don't think he's that as he doesn't have those....ah well whatever he is I don't really mind love him regardless lol would be nice to actually know what he was though if I were to breed him

Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  01:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

He just looks like a normal corn to me.

I hope you didn't pay mega bucks for him!

Not really he was only about £5 more than the ordinary ones the guy had

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  01:36:59  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Carolinas vary a lot - to be honest ALL morphs do! I have a Carolina who is very pale and also has 'frosting' in some of his saddles (paler patches). I have an Anery that is 'bluer' then many that you see photos of, a very high diffused Hypo Pewter and Granite and a very low diffused Bloodred. His markings and colours suggest Carolina, possibly of a pale form, but in all honesty, they vary so much, he could be a number of things, especially with some of the photos you've provided! Try, now the sun is coming out, getting out in the garden and taking some photos out there with no flash, and just natural light. People will be able to make some better assumptions then ^^

By the way, how much did you pay? Carolinas are pretty cheap, in fairness - some are going for just £15 from some of the breeders that advertise here! Amels and snows for £10 if you're eeji x.x

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  01:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm maybe i will take some pictures outside and wow i paid quite a bit more than that for mine

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:57:11  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Once you have a pretty standard answer, I'd go back to the guy and show him some of the images from iansvivarium.com, the outside photos of your snake, and say you want some compensation if you paid over maybe £30 for him? Its not right that some shop-based sellers try and convince people new to the breed that they have an 'uber rare morph' and then it turns out its possibly the most common one going :C If you go in confident and speaking as though you know what you are doing, he shouldn't refuse you some monetary pay-back for misleading you.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of 'mega-corn' but yours looks very much like a rootbeer which is a corn x emoryi hybrid - maybe its a different name for the same thing?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  14:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I've never heard of 'mega-corn' but yours looks very much like a rootbeer which is a corn x emoryi hybrid - maybe its a different name for the same thing?

Yeah Rootbeer is the other name for a Mega, but some sites say a rootbeer is corn/rat snake mix :/ that's why I'm not entirely sure

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  14:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carmichael6

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Yeah Rootbeer is the other name for a Mega, but some sites say a rootbeer is corn/rat snake mix :/ that's why I'm not entirely sure

Yes, thats what eeji said, a rootbeer is a hybrid in other words a corn cross rat.
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, so if I were to breed him to get more rootbeers, what would I breed him with?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is a rootbeer and you bred him, the babies would all be hybrids, not corn snakes.

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:16:31  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Basically, rootbeers, unless you got some hets in there. Also, you'll find it hard to sell the offspring, as a lot of corn snake owners will avoid hybrids in their collection, especially if they breed. He's probably better off being a pet for you, rather then a breeding snake, unless you find a community of hybrid breeders that would take on the offspring! The was one individual here who breed hybrids, but she's gone, I believe. Still, rootbeers are not overly rare, and you shouldn't have been made to pay over the top for one!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks guys

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  19:42:52  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carmichael6

rootbeer (sometimes called 'copper') is cornsnake x great plains ratsnake (elaphe emoryi)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  00:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this what you think he his?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  01:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its deffo a hybrid, too many dorsal saddles for a start, the face has a leopard look to it also, which would also account for the number of saddles.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  15:10:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
has leopard x corn been done?

Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  22:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's a leopard look like?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  23:44:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have a mooch on google for Zamenis situla, they are awesome looking snakes

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000