New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daboyracer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 2yr old amel died last thursday R.I.P Daisy :( she had been off with her food for about 4wks i had to leave it in her viv over night then she would eat it she was a great striker but after reading other websites decided this was the norm too my error, have now got a hatchling ghost but have put her in Daisys viv (i did clean it!) with 1.5" of aspen 5 hides and alot of plants etc is this ok ?

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  19:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know what was cause of death of Daisy? Its young for a corn snake to die so I can only assume illness. In that case the vivarium would need to be extremely well disinfected.

On a another note a hatchling in a vivarium might cause problems, they are super escape artists and vivs just aren't as escape proof as they should be and by the experience on here they generally don't do very well in such a large space. How big is the vivarium? What heat source are you using? Do you have a stat?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Daboyracer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your reply, everyting was done to the 't' habitat wise alot of time and money goes on my lizards n what was my snake, only thing i noticed was that she looked as thougth she was sheding when i took her out?? have also been feeding her in her viv which by most people is a no no so that will change, my new ghost seems fine with the hiding she had her 1st feed yesterday struck 1st then went for the meal... i just thought as they dont like the open space if i had enougth hides etc she would be ok?

The viv is 60*45*60 approx lighting at the top and stat controled mat stats inside on both sides

Edited by - Daboyracer on 14/03/2011 20:08:48
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be vary wary of putting any new snake into the viv of one that died of what are still unknown causes. As above also, vivs are pretty awful for containing and housing hatchlings properly- they often escape through the overlap in the glass doors.

I would advise that you get a suitably sized RUB for your new one.

As a side note, I feed all of mine in their vivs with no problems at all.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Daboyracer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou both for your posts.. what length on avg is a hacthling only i think she maybe older than i was led to believe, handled her 5mins ago and she was fine. daisy was easier to find with the bright colours though had the whole viv out LOL

0.0.1 ghost motley - Peppa aka Peppa pig, 0.0.2 Royal Pythons - Jasper and Alice, 0.1.0 spiny tailed uromastyx - Pakka, 0.1.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Nancy, 1.0.0 Jack russel - Jasper, 0.1.0 Cat - Tula, 0.0.1 Goldfish - Spot
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  08:30:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daboyracer

The viv is 60*45*60 approx lighting at the top and stat controled mat stats inside on both sides

can tell you're into lizards lol put the mat on the floor where your snake can sit on it to get warm

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000