Vets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I rang Ashleigh vets today, they want over £60 to tell me the sex of my 3 snakes,
Two adults that need probing
And one baby (not from the adults) that needs popping!!!

She tryed to tell me at on the phone that they needs blood test to determine sex of snakes,
I suggested them being probed instead and she asked me what that was....................

Hummmmmmm it seams over priced and they don't know what they are doing
I'd rather take them too a vets but from what I heard on the phone they are trying to rip me off at best, at worst the receptionist is clueless????

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try a local reptile shop. They may probe the adults for you and pop the baby.

Do you need to know the sex (for breeding etc).
Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

The baby out of curiosity

But the adults I need to know because I would like to breed them, I bought them together and was told they were a male and female and had always lived together...........I personally think they are both boys.....
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, a local reptile shop will do it for you for a lot less. Some may even do it for nothing if your buying some stuff while your there.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lealou1

quote:

But the adults I need to know because I would like to breed them, I bought them together and was told they were a male and female and had always lived together...........I personally think they are both boys.....

The adult pair you may be able to tell by comparing their tails. I can tell with mine.
Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lealou1

quote:

The adult pair you may be able to tell by comparing their tails. I can tell with mine.

I tried that, they look the same, which is why I think they are both boys lol
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:16:57  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would stay well clear of that vets lol

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that's dear!! A local rep shop to us does it for £1 but they only do adult corns as said to us they won't pop just incase as there's a chance of damaging reproductive organs

***oversized sig removed***

Edited by - gingerpony on 29/03/2011 17:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  16:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

i would stay well clear of that vets lol

Oh I plan to!!

Followed louise's advice and rang a local pet shop
That gave me the number for another pet shop
They gave me the number for another
And another
Found a pet shop in the next town that does probing for £5, they also do not pop so not to hurt the snake

Its not just cost but after talking to them they seam to know what they are on about

Well we will find out tomorrow!!!!
I'll keep you all updated and we will know if my "she" is really a "he" so I might have a she-male lol

Thankyou all xx
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  17:20:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the price is effectively 3 consults, one for each snake

IF we did reps at work it's how we'd charge.......if you took 3 dogs in to be looked at individually it'd be 3 consults too........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  17:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

the price is effectively 3 consults, one for each snake

IF we did reps at work it's how we'd charge.......if you took 3 dogs in to be looked at individually it'd be 3 consults too........

I understand there point of view, but they are healthy, the don't need looking over
Just sexing which would take a few mins tops
You wouldn't take a domestic cat or dog to be sexed only when they are poorly and you need to know what it is and a solution

I personally think a minimum charge of £60 to sex my snakes only is a lot for what it is
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  17:40:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's a flat consult fee, regardless of what you specifically want the vet to look at, a broken leg, a lump, to determine sex or whatever. would you expect a vet to sex them but miss something critical health-wise and the vet risk being sued?
you're using the vets time & expertise, admin staff, computer system, phone system, building, gas, electricity......you actually get a lot for your money! but it's definitely NOT the cheapest way to sex snakes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  17:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

it's a flat consult fee, regardless of what you specifically want the vet to look at, a broken leg, a lump, to determine sex or whatever. would you expect a vet to sex them but miss something critical health-wise and the vet risk being sued?
you're using the vets time & expertise, admin staff, computer system, phone system, building, gas, electricity......you actually get a lot for your money! but it's definitely NOT the cheapest way to sex snakes

It's mainly the persons lack of knowledge on the phone that was off putting
I understand that she's not dealing with my pet but her lack of knowledge and attempting to argue with me that the only way to sex a snake is a blood test, I had to ask her to go Check please
Came back and said we do, do probing (no apology for telling me no you cnt probe a snake, only blood test)
But as the first point of contact for the vets I wasn't filled with confidence at all

I like a vets I can trust as my pets mean a lot to me, I don't mind paying the price but only if the service is right
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  23:14:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
replied on your other thread :)

I'm in atherton and depending on how old the babies are I can pop them for you (I can't probe), or if you call viper & vine in prestwich they will sex them for free for you - they did 7 of mine on a mega busy sunday afternoon :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Lealou1
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  00:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a place in Wigan that probes aswell which is a bit more local! They only charge a £5, but if you recomend there then I might go there instead
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000