Page: of 10

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

Digital exo terra thermometers? Not the strips? Strips arent that accurate. I use the exo terra. I use a range of different heatmats, microclimate etc etc. They all can go over 30 degrees if unstated and running constantly. As an experiment, I purchased one that I intended to use in a viv from pets at home. The girl in the reptile dept told me I would not need a stat as that particular mat didnt go over 30 degrees. So I set it up and thermometer-ed it. The temp was up ay 35 degrees.

Certainly no ones giving you a telling off. No one can tell you how to keep your corns, we can only but offer advice on what we view is a safer way to house cornsnakes. xxx

no i dont have the ones that stick to the glass never been a fan of them lol i know u are not having a go its my corns best intrest everyone has in mind i have had my corns 6 years ok a little wile but some have had corns 26 years and know a hell of a lot more than i do and im a big beliver u can never lean more till u ask :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok wrong page but here it is for you. i think a petshop did this with an unstatted faulty mat just to show what could happen.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:15:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SamanthaDean

i dont use one but i do find myself turning lamps off... i think its going to be my next investment to be on the safe side

Thats what I had to do, and mine were on a dimmer :( meant I could set it on low when it was cold in the morning and I'd come back later in the day and the temps could be way to high.

I use habistat heatmats, You can tell when the probe has been moved! Without a stat my mats get to 35c easily.

All I can say is then you must have some kind of extra special heat mat with an inbuilt sensor specially made to keep the temps just needed for corns and no other types of animals.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sue2012

[quote]

no i dont have the ones that stick to the glass never been a fan of them lol i know u are not having a go its my corns best intrest everyone has in mind i have had my corns 6 years ok a little wile but some have had corns 26 years and know a hell of a lot more than i do and im a big beliver u can never lean more till u ask :)

Couldnt agree more

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok im convinced lol where is the best place to get a stat and do i need 1 for each viv and fawn :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok cheapest i've seen is surry pets (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-mat-stat-thermostat-100w.html)?? or net pets shop if you're not getting a lot of stuff coz i think its free postage? just double check that one tho you don't need one for each as they can control up to 100w( smallest size) but only have one probe. shouldn't be a bother if mats are the same size just keep an eye on the temps in case of faults. best to tie the temp and stat probes together so you get the right temp for both.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:13:44  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you look on ebay you can get a brand new habistat on/off matt for £23.19 bargain!!

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool ill be looking for as soon as i fed the kids lol

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have 6 vivs/fauns you could split them into 2 groups of 3 and run 2 thermostats.

The Habistat 100 watt from Surrey Pet Supplies is as cheap as you will get anywhere. (Plus £5 P&P.)

Shout out if you need help in setting up multiple mats.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:18:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pulses are a bit more expensive but can control up to 600w, not sure ho many can fit on a pulse safely though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i might be in the wrong position to comment here but meh ill throw my two pence in :)

I have one of those plsatic Exo Terra Faunarium large things that came as a starter kit with my snake and i dont use a stat either. She has a heat mat on one side and one single exo terra thermometre right bang in the middle which shows the overall temp at 70 which is about 21c. (i should definatly get two so i can stick one in each end) but its obviously cooler at the cold end.

Had her over a year with no problems at all. sheds fine, feeds fine and shes growing fine. Each shed i measure and she increases in size roughly 10cm each time.

Oh and i use aspen bedding
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't like to try and balance 6 mats off a single stat.
I have 4x20 watt mats running stable on a 100 Watt Habistat.

Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  18:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok dare i answer this lol now everyone just remember that im asking about stats not housing my corns lol i have 2 vivs and 1 faun i house my girls togather and boys on there own i have a young male in the faun as to small for a viv (remember its a stat thred not a cohab thred lmao) so how best would i be to set up stats for 2 vivs and the faun

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  19:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When using multiple mats everything really needs to be set up the same. That is size of viv, size and wattage of mat.

You can run the vivs together if they are the same but the faun needs to be separate.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had two habistat stats from surrey pets, next day delivery as standard, they both work 100 percent, never fluctuate more than a degree x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  19:47:09  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys as promised here is a pic of an unstatted mat the mats a climate mat 7 watts 6x11 i used this for about a month before i swapped to bigger ultratherm mats i bought it brand new and its in perfect working order (when used with a stat lol) i left it on for a lil under ten minutes the temperature was still rising when i switched it off but it just goes to show even the lower wattage mats can still reach dangerous temps unstatted

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  20:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13838 damage to a snake due to unstatted mat. This cold happen to any snake

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  20:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two 4ft and six 3ft vivs and have spent £350 on dimming and pulse stats and wouldn't have it any other way. I spent a lot of time before buying my first snake reading threads on here and talking to experienced owners and came to the conclusion that is probably the most important piece of kit to have. As others have said you have been very lucky and agree totally with Mamma that no one can tell you how to keep your snakes but would urge you to get it sorted as soon as

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  22:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allso dont use stats its supriseing the temps they can handle, temps exceed above the recomeneded limit in the wild and they cool down elsewhere,burns happen rarely from mats unless you have set it up wrong they tend to usally come from uncaged bulbs.

On my fauns i just rasie the tank slightley with a tea cloth and a few sheets of kitchen roll and temps are fine with the mat well out the way and the snake has plenty of hot/cool spots ;)

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you even read the rest of the posts...?

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000