New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  13:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, it's my first experience of the breeding season with an adult male, and my GOD.
He won't sit still. He hasn't eaten in two months (I'm not fussed about that, he's a porker anyway), but I'm concerned because he's hurting himself trying to get out to find some laydeees.

He's pulled up some scales on his head and neck (he's only just shed too ;___; ) and he's full on rubbing his nose on the corner of the door trying to open it. What can I do to settle him down before he really hurts himself? Or should I just strip the viv to the bare minimum to limit damage?

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have no construtive help, but i can imagine you padding out his viv like a cell! x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  18:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing useful here either! Give him a lend of your laptop and let him blow off some steam :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  21:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I haven't got much help either, sorry. But you could take out hard/rough objects and maybe put felt or soft material along the bottom inside of the glass? Not sure how you would attach it though. Good Luck x
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  11:33:02  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Spreebok,

I'm afraid you are just going to have to sit it out, I'm going through my second year with Rhubarb, he's now gone 13 weeks without eating and still trashing the viv every night. I have put paper binders on the doors to stop the nose rubbing and I have still got some spares if you want some just drop me your email and I will send some out for next day delivery.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  12:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ozziesmum,

I guessed as much, I'm hoping he'll calm down a bit now, as one of my yearling females was in shed, and I considered that he may have been attracted to the hormones they supposedly give out, as he's been worse whilst she was in blue. She's shed now, and he's actually in his hide for once, so we'll see!
And thanks for the offer, but his trying to get out via the corners, not the middle, so I'd have nowhere to put it! But thankyou very much though :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  13:36:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just wait until you hears the crashes and bangs from climbing on object ad falling off lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  13:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already experiencing it haha! All I could hear last night was *thud* *squeeeeeeak* *thud* *thump* *squeak* *thud*

I had a look and his was switching between rubbing his nose all over the glass to throwing toilet rolls and his log about!
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  19:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, Holl's viv has been de-funned and made all bare and slightly safer haha!

From this:

(Can you spot tube-ception in this one? He did that himself somehow!)

To his (had to keep his big tube though :D):

And lovely dig on his head:

(Resisting the urge to pull it, I'm a scab picker haha! Also, don't mind the flash, only way to get the bleeding photos to come out!)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  19:52:31  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooh dear that looks sore :( hope that sorts him out

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  19:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, less for him to poke his head on, no doubt he'll find another way though! :P
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:20:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Already experiencing it haha! All I could hear last night was *thud* *squeeeeeeak* *thud* *thump* *squeak* *thud*

I had a look and his was switching between rubbing his nose all over the glass to throwing toilet rolls and his log about!

Imagine the thudding and the nose rubbing but all year round... that's what having a king is like haha.

Looking at his head though I am trying to resist the urge to come round and super glue it down!

I love the massive chube, where you get it from been looking for a cheap massive one for the pink budgie.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, I was considering the nice Mexi Black they have in my local as well! :P
I know right! I don't know if I should pull it/cut it off to stop it catching more, or just leave it!

And I picked it up for like, £2.50 at my local garden centre, as I was there at the time, but most petshops usually sell them too! They're for like, rabbits and small furries like that! They have bigger and smaller ones too :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:35:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd leave his scale, it will sort itself out.

I'll have to look round, I've seen the giant/jumbo sized ones for like £7 though in petshops :o

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's barely a scratch in snake terms lol. A memeber of TRP suggested inventing CORNtraceptives and just throwing the males in with accepting females.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but it's the biggest he's ever done haha! And hey, that's a bloody good idea! We should give females The Coil! (OOOHH Snake puns!)
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  14:34:45  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

That's barely a scratch in snake terms lol. A memeber of TRP suggested inventing CORNtraceptives and just throwing the males in with accepting females.

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Yeah, but it's the biggest he's ever done haha! And hey, that's a bloody good idea! We should give females The Coil! (OOOHH Snake puns!)

Like and like!

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  16:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a nightmare when they get to this time of the year.

This pic shows the rubbing wound that Plissken done to his snout last year, and this is after about 3 sheds worth of healing....

Adding the loss of appetite (he didn't eat for 2.5 months!), and it all gets a bit stressful!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  16:30:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehehe I'm kinda lucky, my 14 year old boy corn despite being horny and trashing his viv and everything has never missed a meal in his life (probably explains why he is so fat!)

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  16:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not just the the boys with the rampant hormones. Blaze happened to catch sight of Big T when I had her out last night. She went absolutely mental trying to get at him. Even when I put her back into her own viv she stayed in the 'active hunting' mode which she usually only shows at feeding time. I don't know if she was offended by Big T's apparent rejection, he just looked at her and blew her a snakey raspberry.

Normally she is very calm and docile but this blatant floozie behaviour was shocking.

I'm calling Blaze 'she' although hasn't been probed but does have the typical step and narrow tail of a female.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  21:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sniggers at thread*

Oooh ouch at the wounds though :(

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly