Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic of conversation so far. Personally I think it's an incredibly entertaining race, living in Epsom of course I'm going to appreciate horse racing. However, whichever side you're on you have to appreciate that these horses are bred for a reason, and treated very well up until the point where they are put through their paces. Of course however I feel a loss for each and every animal that falls, however they are killed because it's the humane thing to do at the time, rather than just selfish owners not being bothered.

If you believe it's too harsh to breed animals to with them as we please, then by the same logic (up to a point), we wouldn't have any food, any dog races, any pets. In each instance, animals were never designed to be controlled by us, they're all wild.

But at the end of the day, we live in a world where we have the ability to decide how we feel, and partake/not partake as we choose. Don't put bets on, be a vegetarian, etc. We are all allowed our own opinions on every conceivable subject.

Isn't that something to be happy about?

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  15:52:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Not impossible stapey no, although this obviously depends on the break itself. A friend of mine's horse broke his leg, Solo was his name. He had to be harnessed to the ceiling for 6 months to let it heal. Obviously due to the industry of racing this isn't possible for most thoroughbreds. They're competition horses, athletes! They generally don't do well as pets. You couldn't simply leave them in a field to fend for themselves like. That's where we have the issue of starving abandoned horses starting!

As Georgina said, thoroughbreds are bred to run. Specifically they are either flat bred or national hunt bred (jumps). The latter is a stockier type of horse with a natural ability to jump fences at speed. (We have one of them in training at the minute). To say lotabob, that national hunt racing is the act of ''forcing a horse to jump fences'' is an ignorant statement and shows that you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I wasn't trying to start a debate here, I was just passing comment about one of the most highly profiled races on the calendar, in the hopes that maybe there are people who share my interest.

Ah ok makes much more sense now. Never really been interested in horses you see they scare they hell out of me so I just kinda presumed it would be like fixing a dog legs or something. I don't mind it as a sport or whatever, just wish there was a better output for any horse that did get hurt that's all, specially since you hear about all these dumped race horses and stuff. Not saying everyone is bad just obviously some are.

Shame they didn't shoot it so it could have been used for food for something.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  19:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Not impossible stapey no, although this obviously depends on the break itself. A friend of mine's horse broke his leg, Solo was his name. He had to be harnessed to the ceiling for 6 months to let it heal. Obviously due to the industry of racing this isn't possible for most thoroughbreds. They're competition horses, athletes! They generally don't do well as pets. You couldn't simply leave them in a field to fend for themselves like. That's where we have the issue of starving abandoned horses starting!

As Georgina said, thoroughbreds are bred to run. Specifically they are either flat bred or national hunt bred (jumps). The latter is a stockier type of horse with a natural ability to jump fences at speed. (We have one of them in training at the minute). To say lotabob, that national hunt racing is the act of ''forcing a horse to jump fences'' is an ignorant statement and shows that you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I wasn't trying to start a debate here, I was just passing comment about one of the most highly profiled races on the calendar, in the hopes that maybe there are people who share my interest.

Ah ok makes much more sense now. Never really been interested in horses you see they scare they hell out of me so I just kinda presumed it would be like fixing a dog legs or something. I don't mind it as a sport or whatever, just wish there was a better output for any horse that did get hurt that's all, specially since you hear about all these dumped race horses and stuff. Not saying everyone is bad just obviously some are.

Shame they didn't shoot it so it could have been used for food for something.

Would have gone to the meat factory alright. They get bolted. Same as shot but it's a reusable gun.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the National, the people saying the jumps ought to be made smaller obviously don't know a great deal, but I do think the field needs to be made smaller.

Always loved racing, always will.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page