New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  00:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys i'm seriously contemplating building my own viv stack so i've drawn up a quick drawing and just wanted peoples opinions on measurements really...

also do you guys think it would be ok to put a lx24 viv that my leo is in on top of this stack?

Thanks for all your help

0.1 CB10 Snow Cornsnake - Galaxy ~(Currently MIA)
1.0 CB11 Ultramel Anery Consnake -Orion
0.1 CB11 Lavender Cornsnake - Star
0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.1 Jack Russell-T.J and Harley (Minature)
1.1 Cats-Rascal and Dizzee
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  00:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as it has a solid back on it should be good. i would possibly (if you have the room) make then 42" wide, just on the off chance you get a monstor corn. x

but i love that people are viv building. i think im going to draw some plans up. which now has to include and aboreal viv for goyle. xx

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  10:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it looks good

Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  10:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be concerned about the strength of the middle of your vivs if they're having smaller vivs put on top of them. You might want to put bracers across the top of the ceiling of the viv below to prevent it from sagging under the weight depending on your wood and how high you eventually plan to go.

Also make sure (you probably already know to do this) that you build the vivs with the top and bottom pieces being the biggest and all other pieces on the inside of them as this is stronger. So the top rests on the sides and the back and the back and sides rest on the bottom piece basically.

Edited by - a2c7 on 02/05/2012 10:33:25
Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments guys im only doing it cos my dad who is a carpenter challenged me lol and i thought i might possibley save some money if i can buy the wood on his trade card lol

0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  19:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ach, if you've got a Dad who is a carpenter I hardly needed to post what I did! Good luck and be sure to show us pictures when you're done - you could even make a how-to post for it.

Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a2c7, Hehe i will see what i can do about the how too im more one with my hands than words and calculations! lol and my dad is really busy at the moment so it will be more just giving me advice when i need it. but i was brought up round him building stuff and i love flat pack so im hoping it will be fine. I have now decided to put my leo somewhere else to eliminate the possibility of bowing :)

In response to Georgina, i was thinking of making it a little wider as my little one is quite long at the moment so expecting her to be quite big and my next is another little girl so potentially on the large size too.

Also what would be the best wood option? i was thinking the MDF route with yaught varnish?

0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant say for varnish, but MDF oh yes :D
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:28:56  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
will defo not be making vivs but i shall be making (with grandads help) a unit for my hopefully new additions to sit on :P

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  12:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MDF is the cheapest. Consider that over time it will deteriorate unless it's sealed really damn well (and even then over the period of many years you might find it gets softer with humidity). Yacht varnish has been recommended to me and I've seen several others use it. It's really damn waterproof and that's what you need for sealing your MDF, I've used it on polystyrene coated with grout.

Also consider aesthetics - if you can get your hands on some non-pine wood sheets (or ply) it might look better to use 'proper' wood, then you can have fun working with the grain and making sure it's stronger than MDF. Depends how much you want to spend really - if you check out the other thread to do with a viv build you'll see all sorts of things like prices and practicality discussed. MDF is ugly so you might want to paint it before you varnish it, which will only seal it better and make it last longer anyway.

I had the same with my Dad - he's always made things himself and was a DT teacher. I grew up with a bed made by him, sofa, bunk bed, toys....at one point in his history he made a new chassis for a car out of wood!! I love getting stuck in and doing stuff but I often find that materials (non trade) are just too expensive compared to what you can buy ready made or flat packed in the shops these days.

Go to Top of Page

copey1975
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  23:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built these two myself ...but I used Conti-board...so you don't need to varnish

My kingsnakes viv

My sons Garters viv

The pair together...I am currantly building another big viv for my Anery
Mark

Mark
0.1.0 Eastern Garter
1.0.0 Thayers King
1.0.0 Anery Corn
1.0.0 Florida King
1.0.0 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic