New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  20:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a female normal corn snake who always is aggresive. i also have a male corn snake who is perfectly calm. i handle them every day for 5 minutes and she is now a year old and most corns mature by then when i have looked to find any info on the intenet there all normal corn who are aggresive so is there a link? so any answers?

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  20:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they in the same viv? If so then sounds like they need separating.

Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  20:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well they are in the same viv but they get on really well and are always near each other and they have shown no aggresion towards each other
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  21:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Split them up, She is probably stressed. At a year, it's also possible she could have become gravid.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  09:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would certainly agree with what smart bunny and SexyBear have said Hayden. I know it might seem to you as though they are ok together, but her behaviour is very likely to be an indicator of the stress she is under.

This link sets out the problems with keeping snakes together very simply and I'd encourage you to read it Can my 2 snakes live together?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  14:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above. They really do need splitting up. At the worst, if she become gravid at her age it could have fatal consequences. Not trying to scare you, but you need to know this.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  16:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, if she is a year old you need to separate them asap before she becomes gravid (pregnant) as it would be highly dangerous to her at such a young age. The fact she is aggressive towards you is a classic sign that she is not happy, and the very reason I guessed they were in the same viv before you even said so! The fact they are 'always in the same place' does not mean they are happy, it means they are competing for the same spot. Please read the thread Kellog linked to before something bad happens to your female.

Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  16:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you im gonna separate them and see what happens but if any of u know anything else that can help me plz post it
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  16:55:28  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I expect seperating them will make a hell of a difference, shes probably stressed cos the male wants some lovin

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  17:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx guys for all the advice at the moment i have had to split the viv in two sections but on saturday im gonna get a new viv. and dont worry my viv is made to be split into two sections dont think i have just put cardboard down the middle
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  18:09:45  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the new section all heated properly?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2013 :  20:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hayden, I'm so pleased to hear you've split them . Don't be surprised if they seem to 'miss' each other and may even not eat for a few feeds. They will have become institutionalised to being together, so it will take time for them to adapt to being apart.....but it is 100% worth it in the long run.

I'm guessing you've moved the heatmat into the middle, so it's split between both 'vivs'? And that each snake still has a warm and a cold hide?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  05:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's all heated properly
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  07:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's brilliant news Hayden, I'm so pleased you heeded our advice - I expect she will calm down in no time now :D

Go to Top of Page

hayden764
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  07:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I held her this morning and at least she didn't bite me but she still flinched
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  08:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayden764

Well I held her this morning and at least she didn't bite me but she still flinched

That's positive Hayden . As I said, it is going to take time for them to adjust and for her to recover from the stress of the situation she was living in. It's just a case of being patient.....and it will be SO worth it!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000