New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamesogt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  00:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So usually my corn spends probably 23.5 hours a day happily curled up in her shoe box inside her viv.

The last week she has been out non-stop almost. She rarely goes in her warm hide but has been alternating all day. In between she is burrowing under her bowl, knocking her plants over, moving rocks etc, and generally all around her viv.

She has never been so active. I am assuming it being March April she is looking for a husband maybe!

Temps, food and sheds are all fine, just a little hormonal I think!

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  02:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is that season James ! You do need to be sure though. You say temps are fine, what are they? How old is she? Is she eating ok? If it is due to her wanting a mate then she may well start being fussy with her food and stop eating, but it's totally natural. Just keep an eye on her weight....she shouldn't lose too much, if she is then its not a natural fast and you need to look for another reason.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  09:15:54  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like she's looking for her man!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  09:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really enjoying this breeding season malarky - normally we don't see Corno unless we get her out from under a hide - at the moment she is out ALL THE TIME :O It's so lovely to see her out for a change (if a little sad that she is stuck and won't be getting a boyfriend lol!!).

Go to Top of Page

jamesogt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  11:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

It is that season James ! You do need to be sure though. You say temps are fine, what are they? How old is she? Is she eating ok? If it is due to her wanting a mate then she may well start being fussy with her food and stop eating, but it's totally natural. Just keep an eye on her weight....she shouldn't lose too much, if she is then its not a natural fast and you need to look for another reason.

Xxx

As always, 28.5 warm, 22 cool. Eats large mouse every 12 days, 5 yr old pretty big female. The only time she wont eat is when in blue. She also poos like clockwork 2 days after eating!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24581

Edited by - jamesogt on 28/03/2013 11:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  11:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesogt

As always, 28.5 warm, 22 cool. Eats large mouse every 12 days, 5 yr old pretty big female. The only time she wont eat is when in blue. She also poos like clockwork 2 days after eating!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24581

Going by that I'd say that you knew the answer before you asked the question.....she's definitely feeling a bit hormonal . Sounds like her set-up is just right and it looks great, especially since you added the plant and gave her more cover in there.

She is absolutely stunning ! A real beauty. I'm awful with morphs, what is she?

Only comment is....do you keep a record of her weight? It's just helpful to have to make sure she's not getting too big, to make sure she doesn't lose too much weight if she does stop eating over this period (like my little one just has, and she can't afford to lose the weight ) and its also helpful if there are any health problems.

Just keep doing what you're doing, offering her food every feeding day and hopefully she'll take it....if not then you know why, she wants a male not a mouse !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

jamesogt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  13:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't actually weighed her ever! Though I do have all the records whilst in my care of feed dates, blue to shedding and full viv cleaning.

She is still eating fine, I was just posting as I had read a few others had mentioned theirs were also a little livelier than normal.

I need to get some scales to see just how big she is. I generally keep an eye on her 'Shape' and I think she is OK.

I will borrow some scales from work and let you know what she weighs though....She measures circa 5ft.

I am not sure on the morph, I took her from a friend who had her from small, I have had her 2 years. Though I have been the one to update the viv with bulb, plants, lighting etc!

As you can see she is a fairly normal brown colour with slight yellow tinge, her underside is more chess board like white and black.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  16:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous looking anery I'd say - or possibly a charcoal if not anery.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  22:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesogt

I haven't actually weighed her ever! Though I do have all the records whilst in my care of feed dates, blue to shedding and full viv cleaning.

She is still eating fine, I was just posting as I had read a few others had mentioned theirs were also a little livelier than normal.

I need to get some scales to see just how big she is. I generally keep an eye on her 'Shape' and I think she is OK.

I will borrow some scales from work and let you know what she weighs though....She measures circa 5ft.

I am not sure on the morph, I took her from a friend who had her from small, I have had her 2 years. Though I have been the one to update the viv with bulb, plants, lighting etc!

As you can see she is a fairly normal brown colour with slight yellow tinge, her underside is more chess board like white and black.

It's good to hear that you are keeping records of feeding dates, sheds, etc. Would be good to add weight to that, just so you have an idea. Weigh her before each feed by popping a shoebox, or something like that, on digital scales, zeroing them and then adding her.

Sounds like you've done a great job since you got her from your friend....she is certainly looking good :-). As I've said, I'm terrible with morphs but would GUESS she might be a ghost http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/ghost/ If you want to know for sure just post some clear pics, showing her belly as well, in the morph section and ask. 'Those who know' will be able to give you the right answer .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000