New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samjam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  14:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am concerned that Oscar is always on the cool side of his viv . He is five months old weighs 41g in a four foot viv ( with lots of hides ) cool side is 24-25 deg warm is 28-29 . I have tried to move stuff around to see if he just has a hide he prefers but he still goes in the cool end . Is this normal . Any advise please .

samjam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I forgot to add he Is cold to touch when you get him out of his viv compared to the temp of my hands
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:09:56  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to start he will be cool to touch regardless. there body temp is lower than ours even if they have been sat in the warm end all day. but also thats a pretty big viv for a baby snake. have u got loads of folage in there for it to use to hide behind as its moving about. it might be he doesnt want to come out of the cool end hide because theres nothing for it to use to hide behind as he moves about

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

samjam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are lots of hides ,plants ,and other things to take up some of the room . Lots of places to hide and be able to move around hidden . I know snakes are cold blooded animal but he seems to always be colder than normal ??? He is never in warmer side even if I move stuff around ??? Any ideas ??
Go to Top of Page

samjam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When he was in his smaller viv he spent more or less equal time on both sides ??
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:47:02  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe theres a clue in that. id say he doesnt like the big space. id be enclined to either put him back in small one an see how he does or partition off the 4 ft to a more suitable size

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Boomslang
Hatchling

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  16:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well is he eating in the bigger viv? and you sure he's not going on the hot side at night?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
2.1.0 pygmy chameleons
Go to Top of Page

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  16:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well when I first got my snake his viv had a large hide in the cold end a sort of medium one in the warm end, and he spent pretty much all his time in the warm hide. After a while I replaced the large hide in the cool end with a much smaller one, just because I liked how it looked, and lo and behold, he now spends about 75% of his time in the cool hide, so it probably is something to do with how secure they feel (I assume a smaller hide makes them feel safer...)

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it too much so long as he's eating well and, more importantly, is digesting what he does eat properly (i.e. not regurgitating) I'd say you don't have to worry; they're clever enough to seek warmth when they need it and like Boomslang said; he might only be venturing to the warm end at night; I often leave my corn in his cool hide when I go to bed and the next morning I find him in the warm side :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

samjam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  17:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all . Yes he is eating ,shedding and no problem at all . I will not worry ,just thought it was strange that he is always on the cooler side ,at night ?? Who knows.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000