New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

june62
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  16:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am new to snake keeping. We got our son a snake for xmas after much thought he is over the moon with him. I as a mum would appreciate a little advice. Sunny as my son has named him began to shed but only shed his head and a little of his neck. We increased the hummidity but nothing. I took him back to where we got him the staff we good kept him over night said they had soaked him and put him in a moss box and managed to get the rest off. However now five days later his skin seems very dry dull and flaky in parts. Can anyone help as to what else we can try ? By the way he is about seven months old and about two and a half feet long. Thanks in advance for reading .

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  17:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's dry, dull and flaky then I would suggest that they didn't in fact get the shed off, or at least not all of it. Did they show you the shed skin? There are a number of things you can try, I would suggest a bath in lukewarm water to loosen any skin left then allow him to run through a damp flannel or towel, the friction will help get the skin off. I recently invested in some repti shedding aid for one of mine who was having difficulty shedding, and I cannot recommend it enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-WFC-20-Repti-Shedding/dp/B0002DJ0B0

I sprayed it liberally on the affected snake, rubbed it in, and left her overnight. The next day the skin was soft, flexible, and easily peeled away. She was able to have a complete shed with no problems. Some people rub olive oil on the affected parts to loosen and moisten the skin, never tried it myself but it probably couldn't hurt. You could also add a splash to his bath.

Next time I would definitely add a moist hide as soon as he goes blue, you can use sphagnum moss which holds the moisture really well, or just put damp kitchen roll in and spray it as needed. Make sure his bowl is big enough for him to get in if he wants, some snakes like to soak in their bowls when they're due to shed.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

june62
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  02:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for the reply I have bought some of the repti shedding and are going to give it a go thanks for the help will let you know how we get on.
Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  05:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That shed stuff from zoo med is very good and can't recommend it enough

1.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 royal python
0.1.0 hognose

Who moved the light at the end of the tunnel
Go to Top of Page

june62
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  13:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks that is the one I got.
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  20:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see another one from the North-East Hello and welcome

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

june62
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  20:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply. Have not been on for a while. Unfortunately my sons snake passed away dont know why seemed fine one day and was gone the next. My son was devastated. We have since got another one and a little bigger and older no problems up to now thankfully but we are a little fearful and over protective of her. But thanks for the support
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2014 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear about your son's snake June . That must have been such a shock for you all. It wasn't as though he was a baby, being 7 months old. Had he been feeding ok?

I'm glad that it didn't put you off keeping corns and I think it's a good idea to have gone for an older, more established, snake . I'm not surprised you're a bit over-protective about her. Please don't hesitate to ask anything if you're worried. Even if you think you know the answer it a good to be reassured. That's what we're here for .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000