Colombian rainbow boa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  10:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have a friend that has just been given one of these and it doesnt look like it has been looked after very well, he has asked me for advice but there is only so much that will cross over from corns.
she is around 5 foot with a point on the top where her spine is which leads me to believe she is under weight the rat he was given to feed her looks way to small (probably small wiener)i have for now suggested large wiener although she could probably do bigger.
she was going through a really bad shed and could not complete it her self i have read the need high humidity but this poor girl has had none also the viv is around 2x5 foot by 2 foot high and is being heated by a 100w reflective bulb with out and cage or covering this seems extreme to me advice would be appreciated. is bulb or mat better?

my friend has just got this snake, he has rescued him but with very little knowledge and has asked for my help he know changes need to be made so no abuse please

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  15:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, I can't help unfortunately as I've never kept one of these, but have you tried looking at the Rainbow Boa site that is affiliated with this forum? There will be a care sheet on there that may help, it's worth a look

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2014 :  18:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't got a rainbow boa myself, but I think couple of members here do, so someone might be along shortly to help.

All I know is that rainbows really need a decent humidity ( so I'd go for orchid bark as a substrate ) , and higher air temperature than corns, so I wouldn't go for heatmat. As to what kind of bulb - your friend will need to measure the temperature at various points in the viv, and find out what kind of bulb wattage would work best, get a guard and a thermostat.... other than that, someone experienced with rainbows will have to tell you, but have a look at the link above.

Hope it all goes ok for your friend - and don't worry, you won't get any abuse on here, for just asking a question :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2014 :  18:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As was suggested the rainbow forum, and as Razee said, no matter what is asked on this forum there is not abuse, id say this is the friendliest forum ever!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rainbow forum is a good place to start.
I have Colombian Rainbow Boas, these are kept on cocohusk (but may swap to orchid bark)
To help with humidity I supply two moss hides (one at each end of viv, hot and cold)and a large water bowl that is big enough for my snakes to soak in.
Currently I use heat mats for my heat source and the hot ends are around 28 centigrade.
My two are just two years old and are on large weaner rats, soon to be moved up to small rats.
Hope this is of some help to you, hope you get the snake sorted as they are beautiful and very under rated

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page