New owner with a few questions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrT
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  21:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we've just got a corn snake 2 days ago. When we got her back home she was very active and inquisitive for about 15 minutes but since she's just been sat ontop of one of her hides under some leaves. Is this Normal behaviour? Thanks

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  06:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably just settling in after a look around. They are not the most active pets most of the time, especially during the daytime. Cola comes out of at evening to night time. And if we walk in the room she hides and if she is out freezes and just watches you. Maybe sneak a peek before going in the room. But sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  08:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tk72 is right, your snake is behaving totally normally . Originally she'll have been exploring her new surroundings but now she's hiding away as she works out where she is and whether it's safe. We suggest you leave a new snake for a week without handling or feeding it, to allow it time to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to its new home. It won't bother her if it means missing a feed. I know it's frustrating but it's better to start out the best way possible.

I'm interested that she's sat on top of one of her hides. Is she a youngster and in a faun? Are you using a heatmat, controlled by a thermostat and monitored by a digital thermometer? What is the temp in the warm end? Sorry for all the questions but getting the set-up right is vital.

And please keep asking questions. We don't bite, much .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Haybop
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2014 :  10:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, sounds normal for the inactivity, mine did the same and still isn't the most active (until I've gone to bed... then if I sneak down and peek he can be caught doing things ;D)

1.0 Amel corn (Leonidas)
1.0 Fire Belly Toad (Gimlet)
0.1 Cat (Mercy)
Go to Top of Page

mrmagicpants
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2014 :  13:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing things? Like what? :P
Go to Top of Page

Haybop
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2014 :  14:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well he uses the lip where the lid meets the top of the tank to do his regular laps or he's poised above the water bowl and won't move the whole time I'm in the room. He just freezes as if caught in the act of doing something suspicious. Quiet as you like during the day when I'm around though :S

1.0 Amel corn (Leonidas)
1.0 Fire Belly Toad (Gimlet)
0.1 Cat (Mercy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000