New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  13:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to cause all sorts of questions and criticism. But literally 15 minutes ago I was handling my snake as normal, puppy westie jumped up and the snake striked and caught his nose causing it to bleed.

Now what should I do to make sure the dog is ok? Is it likely he will be effected health wise? He's a 6 month pup

Cheers

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  15:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most people on here would avoid giving you criticism. That's not the point of this forum, the aim is to share knowledge and advice. Accidents happen and I expect didn't even think it was a possibility. From what I've read on here, I'm sure you're responsible enough to ensure it can't happen again

First of all, I would make sure there are no teeth left in puppy's nose. Sometimes when a corn snake bites, if the target pulls away it can break teeth which get left behind. Just that and making sure the wound is clean and doesn't get infected. Keep a close eye on the cut and if it doesn't heal properly then a trip to the vets is in order.

It may be best to keep an eye on Georgia too (I'm assuming it was her that was the snakey culprit?) just in case she damaged herself striking (unlikely but best to be safe). Just watch out for unusual behaviour such as holding mouth open and any discharge/swelling to the mouth.

I think that most likely the only long lasting affect to pup would maybe be a bit of a fear of snakes. My dog Zack was worried about snakes for a while when I got my first one but he gradually got used to them. Then he wanted to get too close to them. I didn't like that and I taught him (using treats as bribes of course) to sit quietly in his bed whilst I was handling snakes. Now when I get a snake out, he happily trots off to bed and settles to sleep, happy in the knowledge that when I'm done he'll get a tasty titbit

Hope I helped

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 02/08/2014 15:53:16
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  16:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as Moppet said, the first thing i thought of was teeth left in pups nose, to me, and this is only me, i wouldnt give advise to said you had to do this, but i know all my animals, and even though things can happen (luckily not for me ) but i like all my animals if it is possible to get used to each other. My staffy Lyla LOVES and is loved back by both my snakes, and my crested gecko! even in blue the corn will go to her, my other dog will have a nosey, now used to them will just ignore them.
When my cat was here, she would be around the snakes too, with a close eye on her, when she got the 'hunter' look she got a telling off, she used to rub against them.
I think this is a benefit if any reptiles escaped, the dogs/cat wouldnt hurt them.
Now though, when i had my ferret, all reptiles were kept well away from him!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  17:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moppet and SBB already summed it all up, and it might have an upside, too. Your dog may now be a bit wary of snakes, which could keep your snakes safer in future, and also your dog safer, should it meet an adder when out walking.

No one will criticize you on here for an accident like that. I had a close shave some time ago, when I didn't realize our old cat was in the garden, when I had Seb out for some sunbathing. I only just managed to snatch him up from the grass before the old kitty landed exactly where Seb had been.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the advice. I have checked the dog, does not seem like any teeth embedded. All that he has is a small cut. Lesson learnt for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000