BRB temp question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  09:01:15  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

After having a corn snake for 14 years I sadly lost her and have decided to have a BRB. I've bought an 18 month old male which my local shop is holding for me until I sort my viv out. However, I am a bit confused about the general temps as I have had two very different recommendations from my two local shops and could do with a third opinion.

I'm currently heating the viv with a heat mat with stat placed on the ground and getting a 30°C warm hide, 20°C cold hide. However my air temp, in general, is also 20°C. Is this too cold? If I use a lamp (which I also have) then I get the air temp up to, well whatever I like basically, but it ruins thermal profile. For example, if I put the stat on the lamp instead of the mat I can get a nice 28 - 30°C hot end but the cold end goes up to 24°C so I don't really have much of a cold end.

The vivarium is a 3x2x2 viv exotic that I have sealed years ago and holds humidity really well so thankfully that's not a concern. My stat is a habistat one and I also have a remote digital thermometer with two probes which generally agree with the stat setting.

The two conflicting options I had from my two local shops were:
1) Mat for primary heat with a lamp to top up if I can't get to 30°C.
2) No mat, use a lamp as BRB's need warm air.

Can someone just give me a clue here please.

I have searched the rainbow boa forum but I can't currently join (tried but never got a link back) and it looks like there very little activity these days.

Thanks,

Craig.

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  10:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Corn Snake

I can't help directly with your enquiry as I don't own a BRB (unfortunately), but have you read the Care Sheet on the Rainbow Boa forum? You don't need to be a member to get access to it. Here is the link, I hope it helps

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/Brazilian_rainbow_boa_caresheet.html

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  10:29:48  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Kez,

Thanks for that - I have read it and it kind of supports what I am already doing, its just one of snake shops told me air temp is critical and the other ground temp so I am just wondering what keepers actually do. You know what its like when you get a new snake, you want to make sure everything is right.

Thanks,

Craig

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  15:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, I understand. Unfortunately, some retailers give incorrect advice so it's good to check sorry I can't give any advice myself.

There are a few members on here the own BRBs so, hopefully, one or two of them may come online and be able to offer their advice and assistance

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2014 :  16:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a look at this thread and see if that helps http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27565

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  21:43:35  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. I've settled on a heat mat and lamp. Its giving me a warm end at 30 -32, the lamp keeps the air at 25 and the cool end naturally settles at 20 - 22. So just need to persuade my BRB to show himself now. Put him in the viv two weeks ago and he's lived in the moist cool hide every since? Definitely moving around in it but I've yet to see him on the outside.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000