New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  13:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little guy is usually the most trusting snake in the world lol he's so lazy, he usually constricts the first and then sits open mouthed below the tweezers as I put the second into his mouth and hold it upright while he swallows it down (if I drop it he loses interest). Today, however, he refused to take the first and after ten minutes I gave up, dropped it into the tank with him and went to find some methods online to get them feeding as he's never ever refused food so I was clueless. I came back and the little bugger had started to eat it. Same again with the second, he wouldn't touch it while I was sat near the feeding tank. His behaviour has changed drastically seemingly overnight. I left him a week since moving but didn't expect the change in behaviour to be this big afterwards as it's the same feeding tank etc. Is this normal?

Nagini Salazar Apollo

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  17:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So long as he ate, I wouldn't be too concerned. I sometimes think they change their habits just to worry us a bit

It might also be that he was a bit stressed by the out of viv meeting the other day....might be nothing to do with it, but it was different for him and who knows what snakes think. It could be, there was another snake around the other day, I'd better watch out; or it could be there was a hot chick around the other day, I'd rather look for her than eat

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your answer Wheels .

As has been said, as long as he's eating I wouldn't worry. I had to shut Silvi in a box this week to get her to eat and she hasn't got the excuse of a move or of meeting another snake. Treat him as usual and hopefully he'll be back to his old self next feed day .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  20:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks guys :) figured I shouldn't worry too much I just love him to pieces and don't want to miss anything if somethings wrong

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  09:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand that and it's good knowing how important your snakes are to you .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  11:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could also be the time of year. I find my snakes are less enthusiastic about food when it starts to get colder and winter really sets in. As long as he's eating, I wouldn't worry too much

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  17:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about worrying I laughed as I typed my last reply, it was definitely do as I say not as I do! I worry about everything: do I bother him too much, do I get him out enough, is he warm enough, is it too warm, do I feed him enough or often enough....you get the picture. It's normal (at least I hope it is or perhaps I should just get some therapy).

Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  21:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :)

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  13:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant to post after the feed but have been busy with work and family all weekend... but anyway... hes back to his usual self! All that worrying over nothing! Fed him this week and we're back to normal, happy to eat with me next to his feeding tank and only eating the second if I hold it for him - he's so lazy after the first! So glad I got my happy little guy back, guess a move must be more stressful than I realised.

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  19:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad he's back to where he was . It's always worrying when they change behaviour and such a relief when they start behaving. I'm sure they just like to make us worry .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  08:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had just never seen him behave so strangely, he even gave a little tail rattle when i tried to force the feeding issue by plonking the mouse in front of his nose. So so glad hes back to his happy old self... means im less stressed for the new arrival this Sunday... have maybe become rather a rescue center for poorly looked after snakies!

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2014 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that if the snakes can smell the mice when they are being defrosted it tends to put them into feeding mode and they are already in feeding mode once you offer them the prey.
I guess it's a bit like us in that we might not be hungry until exposed to the smell of some lovely food!

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2014 :  07:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found with mine that warming the prey item definitely encourages them, which isn't surprising. I don't usually warm their mice unless I'm expecting a problem, except for my 'little girl' who gets hers warmed and brained every time because she's been such a fussy eater and she needs to put on as much weight as possible.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  20:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose that braining the mouse is the equivalent of you or I walking past the chippy"

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  21:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Havent had to brain mice yet with any of my snakies... but always - without fail - plonk them in hot water before feeding... as this way I shouldnt ever have a problem lol

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000