Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  09:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, its me, again

Am rescuing a little guy this Sunday as I have a spare viv and I cant bear the thought of him continuing to live in a viv 3 times too small, with only one hide, a heat mat covering the whole floor space and hutch straw as bedding.

I am also trying to get hold of another viv (preferably 3/4ft by 1/2 ft) for another rescue - as its being kept in a viv they freely admit is massively too small and have used leaves for bedding - without sterilizing them.

(I live in Suffolk by the way but am willing to travel a little bit if anyone has a spare viv for sale? Preferably fairly cheap as im totally skint and cant really afford to do this anyway!!)

Anyway, back to topic. I am concerned about mites for obvious reasons. They will be coming in a week apart and the plan is to ditch their previous vivs outside in whichever bin I come across first (as they are both in a shocking state)... and transport the snake in the rub straight into a bath with fairly liquid (as Ive heard this helps?).

In doing this, and then putting the clean snakie in isolation into a brand new, disinfected viv. Should this kill off the problem before it begins or are they likely to survive on the snake?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Nagini Salazar Apollo

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  20:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You might be best just keeping the newcomers in RUBs for a while using paper as substrate whilst they are in quarantine. If you do have any mite issues or anything then it is much easier to clean and manage. This will also give you time to get their forever vivs set up in your own time and things like the mat and stat can be swapped over from the RUB to the viv when it is time to do so. I always use RUBs for quarantine and then into vivs when it is time to leave.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  08:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donnie has made a really good suggestion. I've had to deal with mites once with one snake. It's not something I want to do again. Not only will you be able to keep a closer eye on them but, as already said, it gives you longer to sort out their final vivs.

I'm sure you'll let us know how they get on .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  17:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :) ill keep you posted!

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  09:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the new guy - Apollo - didnt have mites but somehow Nagini got some... (before he arrived). Neither Salazar nor him caught them though, but all three are on paper towels in case I missed any... but it would appear bathing and squidging off mites did the trick :)

Nagini Salazar Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that there doesn't seem to be a major mite issue. Be aware that you won't be able to see any eggs that have been laid so you will need to wait for the full cycle of the mites to be over before you can be sure of being mite-free. If you checkout the threads in this section on mites it'll give you an idea of how long that could take.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Amberino
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  11:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks :) was planning on two weeks to be sure but will read up on it :) just surprised how quickly they appear to have gone. Guess I was lucky enough to spot them quickly... as I have the snakes out every day for a good 30 mins to an hour - unless fed - and there were only 4/5 on her. Might have got lucky by catching it early!

Nagini Salazar Apollo

Edited by - Amberino on 12/12/2014 11:05:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000