First feed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hypo
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  10:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so Emmet is due his first feed with us tomorrow, I have everything I need ready to go. After reading that snakes can ingest the aspen substrate I think it'd be better to feed him out of the viv, that way I can also weigh him at the same time to start his record keeping. My problem is how do I get him out? He has a hollow log in his viv which is about 30cm long ish, he loves it and clearly feels safe hiding right in the middle of it as that is where he is constantly. I don't want to have to tip him out of it as I think it's great he's found a safe spot but I can see any other options. Anyone have suggestions? I'm beginning to think the log was a rookie mistake!

Edited by - Kellog on 05/01/2015 09:44:09

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  13:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed Squidwood - who is my newbie and a hatchling - in his tub. He only has aspen on the cold side, and kitchen towel on warm- so I just entice him on kitchen towel and feed there. He follows the mouse very well :-) . You just hold the mouse in tweezers, around its waste, and make tiny, short jerking movements, as if it was alive and walking and sniffing around. That gets the sakes attention, and by moving the mouse away, he'll follow.

If Emmet is in his log, you can easily feed him in there, if there's no aspen, or you can always put the mouse on a large piece of cardboard, paper plate etc. It's better than stressing him out, trying to pull him out - as he might then refuse the food, especially as he's still settling in.

Don't worry too much about aspen, as long as the mouse is fairly dry, not much will stick to it. I used to really worry about it, but unless they are tiny hatchlings, they can usually deal with it very well.

I do prefer to feed my snakes out of Viv, but if it means stressing them out ( like if they've wrapped themselves around something and refuse to come out, or when they are new or nervous ), I just feed in the Viv, on a cardboard ( though mine are so food orientated and naughty, that they always pull it off anyway ).

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Hypo
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  13:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the advice, I have followed it successfully! Emmet was out of his log and struck his first pinky on a piece of cardboard really quickly, it was amazing to watch him eat it. He seemed a bit scared of the second but his breeder did say he usually left the second one for Emmet to eat at his leisure so we've done the same. Hopefully he'll eat it soon
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  14:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good :-) It's fascinating to watch, isn't it? They do amazingly well, considering how huge the food is, and them not having any paws/ claws to hold it, or big teeth... Before I had snakes, I thought I'd find it upsetting, watching a snake eating poor little baby mouse - but as I started with hatchling on pinkies, it wasn't so bad :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  09:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad Emmet ate ok . It's always a relief to get that first feed out of the way. You got given brilliant advice from Razee, unsurprisingly . You could do a few feeds in his viv and then see if he'd feed out of it if you wanted to, although there isn't anything wrong with feeding him inside it. I like the fact you can weigh them before you feed them when you feed out of their viv. And you get better feeding photos .

Did he eat the 2nd mouse?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000