New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JC07
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  04:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, my name is John I've lurked here on the forum for a little while and I have got the impression that the members of the forum are very welcoming and friendly and eager to answer any questions you may have. My birthday is in a couple of days and I was thinking about getting a pet corn, I saw the animal a while back in a store called "Pets at home." And was wondering if anyone had any experience with the store and their animals (and if they do) could you please share you're experience, I've seen and heard a few bad reviews about pets at home's animals and naturally I'm a bit nervous from buying from there. Also any tips and tricks about buying and what too look out for would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  07:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum :-)

The P&h stores vary, not every one is bad, it all depends on the people that work there. I got one of my snakes from P&H. One good thing about them is - they insist you have a set up running for several days, before they sell you the snake, just to make sure you temperatures are settled.

I'd say do you own research first, that way you have all the info you need. The "Stickies section" on here is very good :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  09:11:09  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.
I agree that research is the best thing you can do.
We are a friendly forum and if you have any questions after researching then just ask.
Happy reading......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  09:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you've decided to stop lurking in the shadows John . What Razee has said is right, the P@H stores can differ a lot. Mine is very good and helpful. I've never bought an animal from them though.

It's brilliamt that you've spent your time researching before buying . The suggestion of getting your set-up first and making sure it's running correctly before you get your snake is a good one.

If you can't find what you want to know using the search option, then please don't hesitate to ask. We don't bite, much . In the top right corner, by the search option, is 'Active topics'. You can use that to access those threads that have been commented on since you last logged in.

And a word of warning. Your first corn won't be your last....they're addictive .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  11:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome along.

I've never been on a friendlier, more helpful forum! I'm sure you'll find the same.

P@H, as has been said, varies from store to store. You can pick up some good morph deals if you're lucky as all morphs are the same price. I haven't shopped in my local, not for my snake anyway!

If you get set up first, as has been suggested, ensuring that the temps are stable, then the hardest bit is waiting a week before you can get the snake out Of course, you can reserve the snake while you get the setup right, just in case you see 'the one'...

I did a lot of research first, but then discovered loads of things I hadn't considered and found this place to be priceless; even using the search uncovers a goldmine of information.

Go to Top of Page

JC07
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  13:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the excellent reply people :D.
When i was in the store i asked too have a closer look at the snake and was able to handle and pet the animal, The feeling of the snake moving through you're hands is just so strange lol but in a good way. The staff at my closest P@h store were friendly and helpful and told me like you said Razee require, "have a set up running for several days." quick question coming you're way razee ;), when you purchased you're snake from there what was the purchase form like the questionaire thingie like you got given?

i was also told the snake was aprrox 6 months old can't remember the gender exactly. I have a picture on my phone of him/her that i'll put up later on, and see if one of you guys could identify the morph for me please. :) Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  16:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  16:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  19:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No questionaire ( although I got something weeks later through e mail, it was a customer satisfaction type thing ).

They just wanted some proof that the temperatures are settled and correct. I took a picture of the little set up on my phone ( I used 3.5 ltr sandwich tub with lockable lid and lots of little holes drilled for ventilation ), showing also the digital thermometer with the right temperature on it, and the thermostat probe. I've also written down the temperature readings over couple of days, and they were happy with that. :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  20:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just seen your picture in the "morph section" - blimey, he is big for 6 months, though maybe he looks bigger on the photo... no sandwich tub for that one! Squidwood - my P&H purchase - is 5 months old now, and still tiny, though he's grown a lot with me, and has just moved to an XL faunarium :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  21:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000