New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  21:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone breeding ( their snakes, of course :-) ) this year? I've been thinking about it for so long, and I'm so tempted... It's just both Twid and Baz are so beautiful, and I'm sure they'd produce some stunning babies.

I'm really put off by the fact that there are simply so many corn snakes out there, and also, being an awful worrier, I know I'd be worried about Bazilishka.

But I'd very much like the experience ( at least once ), it would be nice to let the snakes do what they'd do naturaly, and I'm prepared to take care of the babies for as long as necesary ( in fact, I know I'd find it difficult to let them go )

Bazil is 5 this year, and Twid is 4, both in great condition - and this is the first time Baz is really looking to mate, too. Twid is simply going bonkers now. I even thought about letting them together, and then freezing the eggs, but that would be unfair on Baz, I think.

Still can't decide ...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2015 :  20:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really is a wonderful experience, i havent found anything yet to rival the excitement of looking in to the incubator and seeing the first pips. It beats even my dog having puppies, because so much effort goes in to providing the eggs with the perfect environment to hatch, and to keep the female healthy too. I'm not breeding simply because I still have some of 2013s babies, I can't quite bring myself to let the last 4 go. I do certainly plan to breed again and I can't decide whether to bring in a new male with some genes to compliment my babies when they are older, or to get a female beauty snake and try breeding those. I'm thinking first one, then t'other.

Have you thought about only incubating some of the eggs if you breed? Luna laid 15 fertile eggs and all of them hatched, it was a lot of mouths to feed for someone who had never had hatchies before. If you incubate and hatch only a few, it's less work, less snakes to find homes for should you decide to move them on, but you still have the joy and experience of breeding your own babies.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  11:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question if you don't mind me hijacking the thread! And a bit of a daft one.....if you bred your snake, they laid say 15 fertile eggs, and you only incubated a few, what do you do with the other fertile ones? How far along are the eggs at that stage?

I feel ridiculous asking this lol.....but I'd always fancied (in the future) breeding Oscar and Emmy, but decided against it as I couldn't handle all the babies. And I would worry about not finding them homes, with the amount of corns that are already out there. Would it be like killing the baby snakes if you didn't incubate some of the fertile eggs, is basically what I'm asking!

Sorry for the idioticness of this post lol.

1.1.0 Corn Snakes, Oscar the Golddust Motley, Emmy the Ultramel Anery
2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, Masuka
1.0.0 Western Hognose Snake - Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  19:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a silly question at all. If you don't want to incubate some ( or all ) of the eggs, you put them in the freezer for a day or two, after they are laid. At that point, there are still no babies in them, so you aren't really " killing baby snakes ", just stopping the eggs from starting to develop.

In the first 24 hours, the embryo is only a cluster of cells, that gradually migrates to the top of the egg. Then, sometime between 24 - 48 h, the embryo attaches itself, so if you were to turn the eggs after the first 24h, it'd kill the embryo.

I did think that only incubating some of the eggs would be the solution....

Has anyone ever bred corn snakes with them just being on heatmats? Or would I need to raise the air temps with bulbs as well, for the female during pregnancy, and for the laying box to be the right temperature?

P.S. Typical. I have almost decided to go ahead, and Twid has stopped roaming completely in the last 2 days, just sits in his hot hide. He might be going into shed....

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  20:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luna was only on a heat mat. I gave her no special attention when pregnant, just added the laying box when she went into her pre-lay shed. She was a bit finicky with food towards the end but then she was fat and cranky, so I don't blame her.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Freddiesmum
Sub Adult

1083 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Razee! Good luck if you go ahead

1.1.0 Corn Snakes, Oscar the Golddust Motley, Emmy the Ultramel Anery
2.0.0 Cats, Yoda and Ed
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, Masuka
1.0.0 Western Hognose Snake - Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  16:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not breeding this year. There are loads of corns out there and with getting a puppy this summer I decided to give the snakes a year off. (although apparently nobody has told them that, glass dancing and roaming around their vivs looking for a partner!)

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  21:54:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave up breeding a few years back because it got ridiculously difficult to sell hatchlings, and got to a point where I couldn't give them away :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  22:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in two minds whether to breed. I would have some interesting offspring. At worst I would have 25% Carolina, 25% caramel, 25% tessera and 25% caramel tessera. There is also the possibility of Motley, stripe, hypo and amel to thow into the mix. However, I am also concerned about getting rid of offspring. Do people who sell at shows sometimes take others hatches and sell on commission?

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My room is in no condition for me to be able to haha
Maggie and Sheldon are certainly up for it though!
Next year :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly