New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  01:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her temperatures in her cage is fine. We are misting often and have bought shed aids. We tried soaking her for almost 3 hours but she got really cold. We have tried helping her with paper towels

She has shed everywhere but head and tail. Her tail is really hard and her head is starting.

I cannot afford to take her to vet (just took a guinea pig, and it died a day later :( ) and cannot afford a mist machine.

Hoping for suggestions. Its been going on for about 3 weeks now :(

Edited by - Kellog on 03/06/2015 07:39:03

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  01:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add she is 3 years old and has never had a problem shedding before
Go to Top of Page

smudger71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  22:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey raven. My shelby is facing the same problems where he hasn't shed properly and it's come off in bits and pieces.

I've spent a couple of hours trying to help shelly with the shedding by putting him in a pillow case with a warm damp towel and then in his RUB with one as well, but that didn't seem to release it much so then let him run through a damp towel which seemed to release some of the skin but there are some stubborn bits that still won't come off.

Have put him back in his viv for the night now and will further research the matter tonight before trying again tomorrow night.
Go to Top of Page

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  23:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for getting back to me! I haven't read any forums anywhere with problems as severe as mine! I am going to take her to vet as soon as we get paid, but I am sure that will go no where, I do this daily and won't quit! Its my sons snake so he is getting quite upset
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  07:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry you're having this issue, Kathy. It does sound to me like your snake might need to see a vet. My concern is that their may be problems with her eyes if the eye caps have been retained and she is also at risk of a respiratory infection with the constant raised humidity. When did she shed?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  19:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she shed most of it 3 weeks ago
Go to Top of Page

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  22:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some research on google and it looks like she has generalised dysecdysis This website I am about to link her skin looks like that but not flaking like that and harder (second picture, orange snake)

http://www.ashcroftvet.co.uk/15.html

is that something that can be helped or are we looking at putting her down?

Edited by - raven21ca on 03/06/2015 22:54:40
Go to Top of Page

smudger71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  08:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you've tried it yet raven but that site recommends a warm water soak for several hours on a daily basis until the retained shed starts to soften and can be peeled away
Go to Top of Page

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  20:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my 4th day soaking her... first day was for 2 1/2 hours... next day was only 30... but yesterday I did it for an hour.. didn't realize it was for a couple hours... I just put her in one now

If I don't see a difference she is going into vet on Monday
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  18:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy. This really is a case where you need expert advice on what's going on and what to do about it. My concern is all this soaking will actually be doing more damage than good. Personally I would leave her alone for the weekend and get her to the vet on Monday.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

raven21ca
Snake Mite

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  08:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't going to soak her any more after today, I was worried I might make her get a respiratory infection. After I soaked her for 1 1/2 hours I asked my son to bring her up to her cage and we were going to leave her be till we could take her in and without me knowing my son (I was starting to cook dinner) helped her finish the shed. I was relieved then got scared and inspected her, she seems alright! I had never had to have the talk with my son about sheds and not forcing a shed. Luckily he didn't force it he just took a towel damped it and spent a good time with her until the shed came off. I did inform him we shouldn't be doing that again, a professional should. I warned him about the eye caps and injuring scales.

Thank you for all you advice! I really appreciate it, I was really worried it was more severe than that.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2015 :  20:24:42  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any updates?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly