She won't eat :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jake_The_Snake
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jake is a 4 and a bit year old snake that we've owned for almost 4 years.

Last year she went a couple of months in the spring time without eating, but I coaxed her with mouse fluffs and she got back to normal quite quickly, so probably just the time of year.

This year she stopped eating about March again, but she ate one rat fluff about 6 weeks ago otherwise hasn't touched anything since. We've tried different sorts of food, braining, warming them up and she's just not interested. Her temps are fine and nothing else has changed. She's starting to look dull and skinny, and I don't know how long to leave it before trying a vets - should I just wait her out or is there a risk that she will actually starve herself? I have some reptoboost, should I put that in her water?

I also have another corn, and he's been 100%.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Jake_The_Snake
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't let me edit for some reason, but just wanted to add that we have replaced her stat in case it was malfunctioning so think that's ok (currently 28.5, cycles between that at 30ish), and she has been in super-active-randy-snake-on-the-rampage mode for pretty much the entirety of the time she hasn't eaten.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going by her behaviour it is a natural fast, due to breeding season. One of mine stopped eating at the end of February and has only just started eating. Two others are still constantly on the move and one of those isn't eating. I know someone whose snake went 6 months once!

Do you keep a record of her weight? It's a good way to tell what's happening. During his time they shouldn't lose too much weight so if she has a significant weight loss it should be investigated more. You say she's looking dull, could she be due a shed?

The ideal cross-section body shape for a corn snake is loaf-shaped. If she is more triangular, with her spine noticeable, then it is a bit more worrying.

You say you've replaced the thermostat. Are you using a heatmat or lamp? Where is the thermostat probe? What are you using to measure the warm end temperature?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Jake_The_Snake
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  11:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks :). Her setup is pretty normal - heat mat, probe on heat mat (wedged under her cork hide so she is less likely to move it by wriggling), probe on stat is banded to a temp probe with a digital read. The stat was replaced because it was starting to show some discoloration around the white casing, so I thought might as well switch just in case, I didn't see any issues with the actual temp.

We stupidly haven't kept a record of her weight, but she is starting to look a little triangular. She looks as though she is definitely due a shed (and has a little scale damage around her nose from trying to push into the tiny gap in the glass doors!), but equally she doesn't look as though it's particularly imminent.

Thanks again - what do you think about the reptoboost? Just had another thought - we keep her in the same room as the male snake - do you think it's worth putting his viv in a different room in case smelling him's making her worse?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  11:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you're set-up is ok. They can begin to look a little 'worn' by the end of the season. Not surprising with all the activity.

How often are you trying to feed her? I suggest you start weighing her before each feed. That way you can keep track of how much she might be losing.

I use Reptoboost with my female during this time of year because she lays infertile eggs. I would definitely recommend it to give her a bit of a boost. You can use blue Powerade but I prefer to use something that's made for reptiles.

Personally I don't think having the male in the same room will make much difference. My first male did it when I didn't have any other snakes and it didn't get worse when I got my female.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Jake_The_Snake
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  12:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks :) she's now got reptoboost. We have been offering food once a week, will start weighing her, and try not to worry as long as she's not dropping quickly and still active?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  16:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I'd suggest . Obviously keep a close eye on her and any change get her checked out.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000