Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  21:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,very new to forums, and snakes, ha. I now have Sydney he is 8 months old seems very healthy and eats well,I have been told to feed him in a separate tank, but he seems stressed after dinner? Anyone can help would be great, cheers

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  21:25:38  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can you elaborate please and tell us what you do with him after a meal?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  22:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,I leave him for about 2hours in his feeding tank. When I try to transfer him to the Viv, he seems stressed and rattles his tale. I have been told to feed him the I've. What do you recommend? Thanks Dan
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  10:14:39  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't leave him in there that long. Just until he's got the food around halfway down his body. He will be a little grouchy as they are slightly more vulnerable after a meal

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  11:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,thanks for replying, that's useful to know thanks,I have had people tell me to just feed him in the Viv,what do you do? Cheers Dan
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  14:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sydney, two reasons that feeding in the viv is not a good idea:

a) The snake could ingest any substrate that may get stuck on the mouse and if this happens, it could cause impaction and this can be very serious, even fatal. Putting the mouse on a sheet of kitchen towel to avoid the above is also a very bad idea; it has been know for a snake to take some of the paper in whilst eating the mouse.

b) Feeding in the viv can cause your snake to expect food and go into 'eat/hunt mode' every time you open the doors, even if it's just to de-poop, change water, move mat stat etc. This can cause unwanted behaviour (but not in all cases). However, if you take them out and feed them in a separate viv, that will avoid this particular problem becoming an issue at all.

I hope this helps

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kez

Thank you so much for the info. I was torn between which way to so it as I am a complete beginner. I have done feed in the viv last night and was so worried about the aspen, I am now going back to a separate tank the way I started. Sorry, I have so many questions to ask, I just want to ensure that Sydney is being well looked after. Just a couple of questions:

When feeding day is due, if he is hiding can I just still take him out for feed or wait for him to come out?
I was told to leave him in his feed tank for 2 hours after feed, is this correct? He always seems stressed when I get him out! Otherwise he is calm and friendly.

Thank you so much for your help.

Dan

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  16:50:13  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yup, just pull him out of the viv.
As i said above, I just leave them until the visable bump is at least half way down their bodies and then I put them back into their vivs

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, I will try this next time, little worried how he will be as I fed him in the Viv last night. Let you know how it goes next weekend.

many thanks

Dan
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  16:55:18  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One feed in the viv shouldn't have made a difference in his behaviour :)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  17:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan, no problem, ask away! We will always try to help when we can

It's a natural thing for snakes to do, hide away; after all, in their natural environment, they are prey for many predators so it's what they do for the majority of the time unless they're out hunting for food. You could find yourself waiting a long time for him to come out of his hiding place of his own accord, so it's fine to just gently bring him out and put him into his feeding tub. Just be confident about bringing him out; if you hesitate, he could end up becoming nervous of you and you don't want that .

As for the length of time to leave him after he's eaten, once he's slithered around for a bit to move the food down his body (about one third to half way), gently pick him up, supporting his body where the food item is located, and put him back into his viv. You'll then want to leave him for at least 48 hours before handling, so that he has time to digest. If you handle him any earlier, you could stress him out and cause a regurgitation; if that happens, it then takes 10-14 days for his gut flora to be ready to digest a food item again.

I hope the information helps to explain. Anything else, please ask

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  18:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your help, I am so glad I found this forum.

Many thanks Dan
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  18:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're very welcome. It's a fab site and a real hub of information, it's just a shame that it's much quieter than it ever was since Facebook came along

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  19:13:36  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kez

You're very welcome. It's a fab site and a real hub of information, it's just a shame that it's much quieter than it ever was since Facebook came along

It is although there's been a bit more life the last few weeks

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  22:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long may it continue

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  08:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all,just seen a Viv for sale,3ft wide by 18inch deep,do you think it is roomy enough for a full size corn snake? Many thanks Dan
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd go for 4 foot, even if your corn snake ends up smaller as an adult ( and he might end up larger than usual, you can't tell ), they are still pretty active snakes and need the space. My smallest adult rescue corn is in 3 foot Viv, and he seems pitifully cramped in there. I have a massive Viv ready for him, just haven't finished installing everything yet.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  09:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great,thanks for the advise, he's still only small,8 months old, so have time to look, many thanks Dan
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  09:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re feeding in or out of Viv - you just have to work out what suits you and your snake.
When mine were tiny hatchlings, they were on kitchen roll as substrate, to make sure l can monitor any problems with poop -and l fed them in their tubs, to minimise stress. Once bigger and more confident ( like yours ) l started feeding out of tubs ( by then l knew they were pooping ok, and they were on aspen ) to stop them eating bedding and getting impacted.

With my adult snakes, they all get fed out of Viv in RUB, apart from Baz. She is so stressy, that l save her the hassle, and she normally sits in her cave so no substrate to eat...ha. So l thought. She became so used to being fed there, she now explodes out of the cave if she so much as catches a whiff of a mouse. Cue mouse being dropped, Viv decor flying everywhere...so it is becoming a problem now.

I have to feed the other 3 out of their Viv's, as1) they really are very keen strike feeders, and in the Viv end up rolling mice in substrate, ( one got piece of aspen stuck in his mouth just after feeding and couldn't close his mouth, cue battle with freshly fed cheesed off snake still in feeding mode , to extract the sharp piece of aspen. They are now on lignocell, but still., sending half of their hides and Viv decor flying isn't all that good. 2) l only fed them in their Viv's 2x out of necessity, but even in that short time, Twiddie came to expect feeding every time the Viv opened - and l got bitten. Feeding bite. The only time in his life he'd bitten me.
Seb is a rescue, and he ended up fed in his Viv in his old home - and biting. It took well over a year when l got him, for him to learn that Viv door opening doesn't mean that mouse is entering. He would always longe towards you, stopping only in the last moment when he realised l wasn't a mouse...

I leave mine in feeding boxes until the food settles in their stomach, and in Seb's case minute or 2 longer, until he stops trying to bite at my hand through the tub if l move :-). Then l simply open the tub and let them crawl into their Viv's ( l can pick up 2 of them, but with Seb, you are risking a feeding bite ).

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  15:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for that, its a great help as I have been in such a panic as the whether I have been doing thins right or wrong.

I was so worried about the aspen, on Saturday I fed him 2 pinkies for the first time and haven't seen him since.

Many thanks

Dan
Go to Top of Page

Sydney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  15:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will see how he is on his next feed out of the Viv.

Many Thanks

Dan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000