Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2017 :  19:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stressing myself out ( as usual )...

We are going away for 2 weeks, and my adult step daughter is here looking after the snakes...

To make it as easy as possible for her, l stopped feeding 10 days before we are leaving, so there's no poop whilst we are away. l have decided to switch off all the heating when we go,too, as l don't want them to move the stat probes or heap bedding on the heatmats and possibly causing massive overheating. My step daughter will change their water ok, but l doubt she'd be happy to reach in the Viv to move the probes etc. ( l do have a snake loving friend "on call" in case something goes wrong, to help my step daughter ).

Now l've noticed at least 2 of the snakes are going blue...and l don't know what to do. I normally mist the Viv if there's are blue, but with the heat off when we are away, l don't want them cold and damp...will they be ok with the heat off, and no misting?

I know in nature they would probably have colder snaps, and they are certainly chubby enough not to mind 24 days without food, but l still worry....

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2017 :  20:03:49  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can't you glue the probes down so they stay put?
And then add moss to the hides?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  11:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just the probes ( in my newer Viv's they are fixed to the mat cables, so pretty stable anyway ), it's also them heaping the bedding onto the heat mat. I caught Squidwood yesterday - he'd piled a massive heap of lignocell on, and when l moved it, the mat beneath was very hot indeed. It was still stated, but the bedding was on a different part of mat from the probes, so it created a hot spot.

This is not a problem when l check the snakes several times a day, but with my step daughter not really confident with them, l don't want her having to do that ( l'm glad she's changing their water )... l've never been away for this long, so l always left the heat on before...still not decided 100%.

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  14:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, back from holidays - and all of the snakes have coped very well indeed! Seb's even put on weight ( how- they haven't been fed for 24-26 days! ). They all went on the heatmats when l switched them on, and all fed a day later...Squidwood only hours after shedding. Twiddie has shed whilst l was away - perfect shed ( l was worried how he'd do without the Viv being misted, but he shed perfectly )... just goes to show they are tougher then l think.

I just remembered reading something ( it may have been in Czech snakes book ) that giving them a "holiday" during summer, when you switch the heat off and don't feed for a while is meant to be beneficial - as it's simulating the natural situation...in nature, there would be cold snaps, and they would go without feeding for long periods. Made me feel better about leaving them withou heat, anyway...

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom