Hatchlings in a larger Vivarium debate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  22:41:15  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was browsing sites for a basic Corn Snake setup and on one site at the bottom of the product page it said this

quote:
We always advise our customers to buy the advanced kits as it will save money in the long run.

Don't listen to the so called experts who say "you can't put your reptile in a big vivarium as it will get intimidated"

This is not true, think how big the tank is if the reptile was to hatch in the wild, as long as you provide the reptile with everything it needs, basically the correct thermal gradient, correct diet and places to hide the reptile should thrive.
The above is an old pet shop trick of getting you to pay for the set-up twice as you would have to upgrade the tank later in the reptiles life.

So.... how can you tell if your corn snake is stressed due to the enclosure being too big? Surely if you provide enough cover from the warm side to the cool side it will feel safe?

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  22:44:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
problems with handling...........

problems with feeding............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  23:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is true that the outside world is the biggest viv you can get, but how often have you seen a snake sitting completely out in the open??
They can often be seen on the edges of open space, but they are always close to somewhere where they can hide quickly.

I for one have never seen a snake in the middle of a school playing field, but have seen them regularly in the hedgerows on the sides.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2009 :  23:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there always debate on the dark side with this, some saying its stressfull and others saying the wild is bigger than a viv. yes its possible you could get problems with feeding and handling but i guess like anything its personal choice, when i got liquid he was a couple of months old at about 20" and he went straight into a 15x30 viv (and still is) and i never had any problems

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  01:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think that the wild excuse is really valid, as all the corns talked about are born in captivity and that is all they have known, so they dont know what it is like to be outside in the open. I still believe it is best to size your viv to the size of your snake....it just isnt worth the chance of stressing your snake. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  04:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me lastest adittion came to me at nine months old and around 18inchs long and he was already in a 3ftx2ftx2ft viv and it didnt seem to cause him any probs but when i put my young snow in a bigger tank than her rub she went off her food again for a while. in the future i am sticking to upgrading gradually. (empty tanks to me are always an excuse for more snakes)

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  09:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake was 10 weeks, roughly 15cm long and went straight into a 24"X20" inch viv (can see pics on photo section). I was told not to feed him for first 5 days until he gets accustomed to it. Mostly he sleeps under the log all day then comes out at night and rests his head against the glass door, so I let him out for 10min to explore then back into the viv. He seemed abit stressed on first day he went into the viv or it could of been curiosity, im no expert on snake behaviour. :)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  13:04:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally keep small snakes in small tubs, but as long as there is plenty of cover (not just the two 'basic' hides) then small snakes will happily live in a bigger enclosure.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  23:42:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

As in reluctant to be handled?
And reluctant to be fed?

Seems as though there are varying opinions on this, not just from this site but from other sources as well. I'm seeing starter kits with both fauns and vivs 24" x 18" x 20". o I think maybe it's more to do with the snakes security rather than how much space it has.

Although my pre buying research is leading me toward an exo terra large flat faun, Imean, they are only about £15 anyway. But it is still tempting to buy a viv instead and just provide dense cover and lots of hides. And buy a faun as a back up.

What about putting a faun in the viv, haaf on and half off the heat mat with a hole cut in the side so the Corn can at least have the option of leaving the faun and exploring further a field?

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  10:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bilbo is in a 36" wooden viv and seems happy in there i have no problems holding him or any problems at feeding time. but i have 7 hides in there for him and loads of cover all the way across the back of the viv so he can move from one side to the other without being see. i should think if its a 3 foot viv with just 1 hide each end and loads of open space then you would have a stressed snake.. would be nice to have a post going to have pics of other viv set ups...

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  12:41:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
handling isn't an issue here, because its not often they are out :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had mine in a 1.5 foot, then a three foot, now a four foot. all were properly packed and decorated, heated etc and never caused any obvious problems.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  15:39:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

As in reluctant to be handled?
And reluctant to be fed?

as in refusing to be fed, and being difficult to find in a big viv, them having plenty of room to escape being handled which often refults i them being grabbed and or dragged roughly which makes handling a horrible experience they won't want to repeat.....which can end up with them S-ing up, striking and generally acting defensively...........as well as being off their food.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000