Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  16:06:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes XD my dad has tried several times to get them and missed though :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  06:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Does that mean next time i'm up my uncles we should dust off the air rifle hehe.

I always laugh when I visit my Yorkshire uncle - his back fence is decorated with the skins of the grey squirrels he has shot....supposedly they are there to deter other grey squirrels, but personally I think he just likes showing them off !

My OH once electrocuted a grey squirrel, but not enough to kill it unfortunately . It kept destroying the nuts we put out for the birds, so he rigged up some wiring and when the squirrel hung upside down holding onto the wire....we pressed a button and ZAP! Certainly made it jump! He was just cross he hadnt thought to position a barrel of water underneath to drown it when it fell....

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 29/04/2010 04:51:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  22:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grey Squirrels taste very nice as long as it is big enough Squirrel. The best meat being from half the body down to the back legs.

I must shoot about 30 to 40 a year and a friend of mine will prepare them for eating. You will see them in a lot of menus in Country pubs and restaurants. TASTY

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  14:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
squirrel on toast sounds nice. though they do look nice when they cook it on cooking shows. like a little meat kebab.
anyways dan i would of prob thought its a case of liek alot of species when they transported and traded with other countries on ships they were on board and gradually got introduced to this country. not that thats a good enough answer but its most likely.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  11:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad someone else has found out about the black squirrels - I was at a party with my friends a few months ago and they were talking about Grey squirrels and I said that they were now in trouble from the black squirrels and they all thought I was joking!!!! At least now I can point them to this thread and they know I didn't make them up

Poor grey squirrels being shot for fun. I quite like them and would only have one killed if I was planning to eat it. Although I once had squirrel on a bbq and it wasn't that nice. It might have been the chilli marinade that did destroyed it though.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  04:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Poor grey squirrels being shot for fun. I quite like them ..........

I am quite surprised at your attitude to grey squirrels Kaz, would have thought you would be a supporter of the native red squirrel and against the invaders !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  19:04:46  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
theres no such thing as too much chilli!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  22:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Poor grey squirrels being shot for fun
quote:

Sorry if I have offended you I did not mean to. I forget sometimes that not everyone would agree with me shooting them. I do it for the greater good not just fun. I have seen first hand a Grey Squirrel destroy a Blackbird nest and kill the mother that was bravely defending her chicks. Not a nice situation to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  22:44:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't want to eat squirrel for the same reason I wouldn't want to eat pigeons although I don't know what reason it is...

They don't get shot for fun, they get shot to keep the numbers down as are rats, pigeons, seagulls, mice and rabbits, they are classed as pests because they destroy and multiple a bit too well. Anything my dad shoots end up on the lawn where the fox takes it away and I presume give it to their cubs or cats have a go at it or black birds and other pigeons will eat it so XD

The method of getting rid of birds is less mean in cities, they get a gun ans shoot the nest and aim for the eggs.

I need to do more research on the black squirrel.

Edit: According to the lovely wiki, black squirrels are just a different coloured grey squirrel and the black ones can come from grey litters and grey ones from black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel

Edited by - Sta~ple on 29/04/2010 22:46:43
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  10:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

I am quite surprised at your attitude to grey squirrels Kaz, would have thought you would be a supporter of the native red squirrel and against the invaders !

xxx

It's probably because I regard them as the same as Cane Toads. Hated because of human fiddling.

Humans do a lot of damage to this world and I think sometimes successful creatures bare the brunt of our own mistakes. Squirrels shouldn't be hated for being successful, it's the Victorians that released them purely for novelty that should be looked down upon. We are SUPPOSED to be an intelligent species after all.

I'm not against culling though in problem areas, I just wouldn't harm them myself when the only ones I see are in the local graveyard and don't seem to be causing any problems. As far as I know Red squirrels are more secretive, so they wouldn't populate a residential area anyway. Bolder greys don't seem to mind people and probably make a few people smile on a daily basis as the graveyard is a common walkway into town for many people.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  18:01:45  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

xxx

It's probably because I regard them as the same as Cane Toads. Hated because of human fiddling.

Humans do a lot of damage to this world and I think sometimes successful creatures bare the brunt of our own mistakes. Squirrels shouldn't be hated for being successful, it's the Victorians that released them purely for novelty that should be looked down upon. We are SUPPOSED to be an intelligent species after all.

Completely agree with you there, Kaz.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  05:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueTongueDan

quote:

[/purple]

Completely agree with you there, Kaz.

Am with you 100% Kaz and Dan....we have a lot of explaining to do for the damage we have done and continue to do to our planet, when we are supposed to be protecting it....a lot of it being done knowing the consequences now.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  00:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UK hatred of the grey squirrel was shown on the US nightly news tonight. It showed brits culling and eating them. I guess you Brits love your red squirrel. I live in the USA and I love the grey squirrel. We put out special food for them. They are so tame that they eat out of our hands. It's a lie that they hurt trees since our trees are just fine. WE love grey squirrels. The difference between you and us is that if we ever see a red squirrel we'll love it also.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  02:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never known anyone to eat grey squirrels.
Reds are great, greys are not as great.

As for culling the squirrel population, I can see that happening, they breed like mental here, we can have a small colony in the spring to hundreds of the things come late summer.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  08:59:27  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are far too much now! Nottingham University Park used to be packed full of wildlife, now just squirrels, and it gets worse and worse because loads of parents around here take their children to feed them. Drives me crazy, I was scared of them when I was little though, I just played on the stepping stones. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  19:41:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by somerssalt

The UK hatred of the grey squirrel was shown on the US nightly news tonight. It showed brits culling and eating them. I guess you Brits love your red squirrel. I live in the USA and I love the grey squirrel. We put out special food for them. They are so tame that they eat out of our hands. It's a lie that they hurt trees since our trees are just fine. WE love grey squirrels. The difference between you and us is that if we ever see a red squirrel we'll love it also.

Eating them? Wow never heard of that! Although why not? By law if manage to "catch" one you have to kill it so why not eat :D
The problem is that some of the grey squirrels here aren't so friendly :( Maybe as they have a bit more competition here?

Tif, are you on about the actual Nottingham uni park or the Trent one? The real Nottingham uni park is great :D the geese and baby swans feed out of my hands!

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  19:50:44  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Notts uni, didnt know there was a trent one. But when you walk through all of the forest bits all you see is squirrels! It is great there, but I hate squirrels and they are everywhere there! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  20:39:48  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i thought they came over with the romans, as they ate them as a delicasy

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  17:28:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Notts uni, didnt know there was a trent one. But when you walk through all of the forest bits all you see is squirrels! It is great there, but I hate squirrels and they are everywhere there! :P
Tiffany-x

I unno if there is a Trent one either XD lol. If you see a deranged woman in the park trying to stroke a swan or a man offering a goose a banana, say hello XD

Edited by - Sta~ple on 19/12/2010 17:29:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000