Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at getting my little sister (shes 13) a pet. I want something that is relatively cheap and easy to keep, doesnt smell and that she will be able to look after herself. Any suggestions?
Sorry to go off topic

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  19:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how about Giant African Land Snails very easy to look after and very cheap..

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spiny mice are good if she likes the cute and fuzzies, but they dont smell, which is awesome!

African land snails are cheap and easy but they can mate like mad, plus they might lose their appeal as they are not as visual as other pets.

erm......there's probably lots more choices, what sort of animals does she like?

zan x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably more towards the small and fuzzie, something she can play with. she does love my corn tho
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, hamsters are easy to look after and don't smell aslong and they're kept clean. As long as they're well handled they don't bite, but there's always that risk.
Rats are great pets, friendly, intelligent and pretty easy to look after, first pet I got was a rat, she used to stay with me all the time, loved being handled and was such a sweety. Course she ended up coming to rattything thanks to my mum lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  22:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the initial setup my snakey is cheap and easy to keep and doesn't smell at all *nudge nudge*

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  06:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerbils can be another fun choice, if you keep them in a gerbilarium then they're really fun to watch, and dont need cleaning out as often. Plus as they're usually kept in pairs they can keep each other company if she gets bored of them later on.

Hamsters are generally good pets, but some hamsters can be little b*gg**s and their bites dont half hurt when they get going.

Rats are good pets, but I think because of the size of the cage they need they can be tricky to clean out compared to a smaller pet, plus they can get smelly quite quickly if you dont keep on top of the cleaning out. They're very interactive and super-friendly, but she might struggle to keep on top of the cleaning, it just depends on how organised she is really.

Guinea pigs are super friendly, even thought they're a bit bigger, they make very friendly and interesting pets. They dont smell too much either and are pretty easy to look after.

ermmmmm...........you could try going to a pets and home store, they do little leaflets for free that give you the lowdown and basic care for each pet, perhaps that will help you decide. They tell you how long each pet lives, what equiptment/housing/food they need etc etc.

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ferret!

...although they do smell sometimes

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I find my ferrets don't smell cause they're bedding is washed every 3 days, they're bathed once every 2 months and cleaned out daily as well as all neutered lol. But with ferrets you don't want to get a baby if its for a child, you have to go through nip training and if its not done you end up with a nippy ferret. But rescues usually have some very nice older ferrets (And they usually live up to 10 years so its not to bad getting older one) if you get one about a year old, they usually come neutered already and they are usually real big softies. First ferret I got, teddy, was a big baby. They sleep a lot but its like having a kitten for 10 years they're great fun, playful, cuddley. I don;t think I'll ever be without a ferret now lol I'm on a ferret forum that has a lot of rescues as members.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  12:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake, easy.

just the weekly, or monthly poop might stink that tiny bit..

But I have a consistent, cold.. Ahh the delights of a blocked nose.
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  12:38:32  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lol I'm lucky to have no sense of smell o.o though recently i have been smelling things like bacon and running ot the bathroom haha!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had rats when I was little, they were fantastic- intelligent, clean, never ever bit and loved being out and about.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:29:33  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive recently jsut got my hamster on saturday and i forgot what wonderful pets they are! Affectionate, playful, funny as hell, rarley bite, and don't take up much space. And the males don't smell!

Wonderful little animals

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at a Degus, they are in the small and cute category and are more unusual than hamsters and mice.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  12:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the degus ..there funny little things like a cross between a gerbil and a chinchilla

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, i love Degus too!

Bio has a large old cage that he used to keep rats in so i may need to get one or two sometime!
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My mate has got some Degus and they are quite cool. Very active little fellas

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  23:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love degus. They're social animals though, so you'd have to get at least two (oh what a shame). I had hamsters when I was nine and then gerbils, but the gerbils were mean little b'stards and would go for you as soon as look at you. My hamster was wonderful and more than twenty years later I can still tear up thinking about when she died *sniffle*

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had degus, chinchillas, rats, hamsters, gerbils, budgies, cats,dogs, gineau pigs, rabbits lol
fish?
hahaha
I had fish as well lol we had so much as kids lol
x
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get a mouse.. they are so cute and you can get those big rotastack houses for them..i had two when i was 16 and loved them..didnt live for long though - bout a year and a half but they were cheap and so cute..eventually had them feeding out of my hands and letting them loose in their hamster ball together was entertaining when they tried to run the opposite way to eachother.. only problem was they were poop machines so becareful

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guinea pigs r lovely gr8 personalities mine was 9 when he died ive had cats, dogs, gerbils, hamster, russian hamsters, fish, terrapins, rabbit,budgies, ****atiels,iguana,and snakes.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: