Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  08:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking around on the forum, ive found a few posts, including a 3 month old corn 22g in weight, taking fuzzies.

My corn is almost 6 months old (only owned her 2 weeks) and she just had her first 2 pinkies on saturday. She is about 14" long and 20g.

Is she really undersize? And if so is this because shes been in a pet shop for so long on 1 x pinkie a week? Is she likely to have a growth spurt now shes in a faunarium and having 2 x pinkies every 6 days?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  10:22:46  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every snake has its own way of growing. I must admit earlier I was a bit concerned about Fluffys weight, becasue i saw some other photos of a year old snake on here but everyone reassured me that some snakes use food for wieght and some for muscle. When she gets to about 17/18inches, you will be safe feeding her 1 fuzzie. She will probably get bigger than she was as you are feeding Her more.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  12:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think she will be okay on double pinkies now then? She took them both okay on saturday. And she did a small pooh this morning. It was smaller than the one she did after 1 pinkie last week though, lol.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  12:10:40  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if she was from a pet shop you may find that they only feed her minimum sizes so she didnt really grow much that way its cheaper for them and you get the pleasure of the grow spurt

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  12:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

All breeders I've come across so far were only feeding once a week. I feed hatchlings every 5 days.

My Stella moved to two pinkies at 15g, and to small fuzzies at 20g. The guidelines say 2 pinkies at 16g and small fuzzies at 24g, but Stella hardly had a bump and looked still hungry. It tried, and it's a success.

Put your snake on 2 pinkies every FIVE days. That's what she needs right now. Once stable with 2 pinkies, I'd move her onto small fuzzies asap: she would gain by then a couple of grams at least, so should be ready.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  12:52:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would give it 4-5 feeds of 2 pinkys to let the stomach adjust then move up to a fuzzy as long as its not 1.5 x thicker than the thickest of the snake

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  13:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, will start giving her the 2 x Pinkies every 5 days from now on.

Is there much difference between 2 x pinkies and 1 x Fuzzy?

Or is it just nutritonaly better?

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 30/11/2009 13:05:35
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  13:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, there is a difference, both in terms of nutrition and snake's ease of taking it in and digesting.

Don't try to rush it, a gradual change is best so what you're planning to do is good.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  13:14:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a fuzzy will contain more calcium as the bones are more formed

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  13:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all.

I will carry on with my plans then and move onto fuzzys slowly.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  15:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has got me thinking my corn was fed weekly, has been all his life instead of every 5 days when he was a hatchie..

Looks like its already been answered though, go on what these guys say Gaz, can only agree that what theyr'e all saying is true.
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  15:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there, just to put you at ease, I though Tiny was under developing as I saw photos of younger snakes that look bigger than her. Tiny is just over 4 months old and grows at about 2cm a month but doesnt put that much weight on each week. I weigh her before every feed which is every 5 days and she will stay the same for a few weeks and then jump up a couple of grams. I started her on 2 pinkies before 15g, on the basis of the size of the bump and that she still looked hungry after just one pinkie.

I get the feeling snakes are like kids, some are tall, some short, some fat and some skinny so as long as your snake is healthy I wouldnt worry about it. I started to slip in the the copetative parenting as such and kept comparing sizes of peoples snakes on here but at the end of the day realised that Tiny is a healthy snake and ultimately it doesnt matter how big she gets or how fast she gets there as long as she is healthy and happy.

anyway just thought I would share my little experience with you.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  21:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

if she was from a pet shop you may find that they only feed her minimum sizes so she didnt really grow much that way its cheaper...

a snake that's been on a maintenance diet for example, in a shop or with a breeder (or even ill-informed owner!) for any length of time will be considerably smaller.
in the past i've bought yearlings not much bigger than my own hatchies and 2 year old the size of yearlings......they just get enough nutrition to survive rather than to grow.
the slower growth-rate is probably more natural for them, and yes they usually have a growth-spurt with an increase in food, this is often shown my shedding more frequently as well as weight-gain you can monitor on scales.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  08:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot to all who have replied. This has put my mind at rest.

I was getting worried this morning. I fed her on Saturday and she hasnt been out of her hide yet (except in the night on sunday to poo). And last night i tried to handle her but she was really grumpy and not interested. But this morning she came out and crawled over her water bowl and started rubbing on things, so im guessing she is going to shed today (she is deffinitely due a shed).

Is it common for them to be a bit moody and not want to be handled coming up to a shed? If she sheds today will it be okay to get her out for 5 mins tonight? Or leave her to recover from shedding?

Thanks alot,

Gaz

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 01/12/2009 12:37:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  17:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nothing to worry about. A lot of them don't want to be handled while in shed, especially when they're blue but otherwise too. Yes, once she sheds you can handle.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  21:57:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
during the shedding process their eyesight is poor, even when their eyes clear after going cloudy but still pre-shed. whether you offer a feed during this time is optional, and down to the snake whether it does actually eat or not.........some will, some won't. and handling is best kept to an absolute minimum to avoid undue stress to the snake and the possibilty of you getting tagged as a nervous response

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning she still hadnt shed, her eyes were clear and her skin is still looking a bit on the dull side. I was changing her water and she came to my hand so i got her out for 5 minutes and she was fine :-)

Cant wait for her to be all shiney for the first time! Lol.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:09:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
after her eyes have cleared expect her to shed within about a week

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  08:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I woke up this morning to find she had shed!!!!

I was over the moon, and its feed night tonight so shes all shiney and ready for her pinkies! hehe.

I got her straight out of the faun (only the 3rd or 4th time of handling) and she was great, seemed really happy, hissing and trying to crawl all over my arms, lol.

I measured her skin and it was 16" long, when i measured her before i only got 12" or so, but obviously thats because shes not stretched out fully.

Just thought id let you all know anyway, will try to get some good pics tonight of handling and feeding.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont take the shed length as her length as it obviously stretches as she sheds. I think you need to take away 10% of the measured shed to get the length of the snake.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the shining Stella!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh rite okay, wasnt aware it stretches. Thanks for that.

Will try to get some decent pics tonight.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000