Grand National
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  14:57:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any put any bets on?

I got, Comply or Die (7)- Each way 13/1

State of Play (23)- Each way 15/1

Nozic (13)- Each way

Nozic was my wild card, odds were about 40/1

Moved

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - matty18714 on 10/04/2010 22:12:40

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, the grand national was on!!!
That will explain why the missus said to me this morning "Beat the boys, Comply or Die" I didn't realise she was talking about the horses.
Just hope the bruises on the kids go away quickly.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:16:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No bets. Feel sorry for the horses when they whip them shame the horse can't whip back !!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

No bets. Feel sorry for the horses when they whip them shame the horse can't whip back !!

Its ok they dont actually whip them, i always thought that till i found out a few years ago.
It looks like they whippin them but actually there not, the whip actually goes past the horse and the horse is trained to know its rider wants it to go faster when they do that, thats what i learnt anyway lol

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:29:40  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
isnt that called show whip or something (i think) i used 2 work in racing but not 4 long :( but that also kicks in2 there instincts in the wild as they will get attacked from behind :)
But none of the horses will get hurt... (unless they fall over n hurt themselves)

Feeel soooo sorry 4 Ruby thou... poor bloke but well done to AP 15th try n finally won :D

Just glad every1 got home safely :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

isnt that called show whip or something (i think) i used 2 work in racing but not 4 long :( but that also kicks in2 there instincts in the wild as they will get attacked from behind :)
But none of the horses will get hurt... (unless they fall over n hurt themselves)

Feeel soooo sorry 4 Ruby thou... poor bloke but well done to AP 15th try n finally won :D

Just glad every1 got home safely :D

Yeh think its sound of the whip crack from behind like you say

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:54:23  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had a bet for toda 2 pound each way on snowy morning just my luck finished 6th makes a change though normally fall by the 6th fence lol but well done AP 15 years lucky lol

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every year i've won about £15 - £20 and today i broke even lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  01:35:40  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha... i didnt have the money to bet this year

i hoped ap would win but my horse came either 3rd or 4th lol (i think) but then i chose i think about 3... then when they started i completly 4got who i picked lol... typical :/ i cant even remember if i went with the winner i remember thinking about it but i just cant remember lol :/

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  05:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

quote:

Its ok they dont actually whip them, i always thought that till i found out a few years ago.
It looks like they whippin them but actually there not, the whip actually goes past the horse and the horse is trained to know its rider wants it to go faster when they do that, thats what i learnt anyway lol

I am not so sure Andrew. After reading this I googled and came across these articles....

Firstly about how jockeys use a whip (and it is not how you suggest) - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/ALL/596/. I know it seems a lot to read through, but the most interesting bit is Part 2: The Whip, where they actually describe how the whip is used, what it is made of and what the regulations are. Now I am aware that this was done in 2003 and I am hoping and praying that things have changed since then.

But then I found this, dated September 2009 - http://www.thestar.com/sports/horseracing/article/689156

And this - http://www.rspca.org.uk/media/news/story/-/article/EM_Safeguarding_horses_at_Grand_National_Apr10....which, admittedly doesnt make it clear as to whether the whip is used to hit the horse or just to 'encourge' it, but either way the RSPCA still has concerns.

And it is obviously still an issue in Australia where a jockey was fined for using the whip twice more than allowed (and this was just last month) - 'Jockey Nick Hall was fined $1000 for striking the winner Zipping 10 times in a forehand manner before the 100m, twice more than permissible. Smith felt he and his fellow owners should have been made aware they could lodge a protest and felt the infraction helped Zipping win the race.' And this article was a response to it - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/bugger-the-poor-horse-its-just-wealth-before-welfare/story-e6frg7t6-1225842098739. 'The Australian Racing Board is expected to allow horses to be beaten willy-nilly in the final 100 metres of any race, every race throughout the country. That's a lot of whipping.'

That was enough googling for me and I couldnt find absolute proof as to what jockeys in this country do in this day and age, but unfortunately I dont think it is 'show whipping' but whipping for real .

I stopped watching the Grand National years ago - I didnt care about the jockeys that fell off but it broke my heart seeing the horses fall and knowing that some would have to be put down because of their injuries....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:29:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

haha... i didnt have the money to bet this year

i hoped ap would win but my horse came either 3rd or 4th lol (i think) but then i chose i think about 3... then when they started i completly 4got who i picked lol... typical :/ i cant even remember if i went with the winner i remember thinking about it but i just cant remember lol :/

State of play come in 3rd, thats how i broke even lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  14:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

quote:

I am not so sure Andrew. After reading this I googled and came across these articles....

Firstly about how jockeys use a whip (and it is not how you suggest) - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/ALL/596/. I know it seems a lot to read through, but the most interesting bit is Part 2: The Whip, where they actually describe how the whip is used, what it is made of and what the regulations are. Now I am aware that this was done in 2003 and I am hoping and praying that things have changed since then.

But then I found this, dated September 2009 - http://www.thestar.com/sports/horseracing/article/689156

And this - http://www.rspca.org.uk/media/news/story/-/article/EM_Safeguarding_horses_at_Grand_National_Apr10....which, admittedly doesnt make it clear as to whether the whip is used to hit the horse or just to 'encourge' it, but either way the RSPCA still has concerns.

And it is obviously still an issue in Australia where a jockey was fined for using the whip twice more than allowed (and this was just last month) - 'Jockey Nick Hall was fined $1000 for striking the winner Zipping 10 times in a forehand manner before the 100m, twice more than permissible. Smith felt he and his fellow owners should have been made aware they could lodge a protest and felt the infraction helped Zipping win the race.' And this article was a response to it - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/bugger-the-poor-horse-its-just-wealth-before-welfare/story-e6frg7t6-1225842098739. 'The Australian Racing Board is expected to allow horses to be beaten willy-nilly in the final 100 metres of any race, every race throughout the country. That's a lot of whipping.'

That was enough googling for me and I couldnt find absolute proof as to what jockeys in this country do in this day and age, but unfortunately I dont think it is 'show whipping' but whipping for real .

I stopped watching the Grand National years ago - I didnt care about the jockeys that fell off but it broke my heart seeing the horses fall and knowing that some would have to be put down because of their injuries....

xxx

It might well be. Trouble is just watchin them you cant really tell if they are or not and what they get away.

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  14:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know in this country you cant whip them to much as there will be a stewards enquiry and you can get suspended/disqualified etc, im not to sure on all the rules tho

im not to sure in other countries thou :(

the only thing i hate about watching any racing is if the horses fall n get injured i hate it (spec with bestmate, i think i actually cried lol) but i suppose id rather a horse to get put down n stop all the pain then be in agony although i dont believe in the people putting there horse down just because it prob wont ever race again ( i know thats what most tbs get breed 4 but not all as there are not eventers that are tbs) that just p***** me of >:(

Lol Danny i think that was one of the ones i backed lol but still cant remember... i was impressed with my self on the old cup cos i chose the winner, 2nd n 3rd but stupid me didnt put a bet on and ma bro didnt bet on the winner either and he was kicking himself sayin he shud of listned to me haha :D

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  14:55:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If they whip them how they are supposed to whip in the proper place they can't really feel anything, it's like a cheeky slap on the bum. Athough there will be stupid people that will do it wrong.

Anyway, I don't watch as I don't really like horses... their teeth...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  15:06:08  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lived and have family members who work in the racing scene in newmarket. most the horse seem to love it. look at the horses that fall they still run. and before they put the slips next to the jumps they would jump as well

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  15:17:19  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
lived and have family members who work in the racing scene in newmarket. most the horse seem to love it. look at the horses that fall they still run. and before they put the slips next to the jumps they would jump as well

they do indeedly, they always get hyped up when its time 4 them to get on the gallops when at home training, you can always expect a lil happy buck.. they love it :D
some horses more than others obv tho
Also with some of the horses i would imagine its also to do with natural instinct as they are a herd animal :D

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  19:34:18  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I won £16

DONT PUSH IT!

Didnt even watch it, just picked my favorite name out of the newspaper

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  05:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

I have no doubt that they love it, they are doing what they were born to do in a sense....and there is nothing more beautiful than watching a horse in full gallop (unless you are on it and it is running away from you *she talks from experience *)....I guess I just worry that winning the race gets put before the horses' welfare....hopefully I am wrong.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000