New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Hope someone can help me.
I have a 4 year old female corn who hasn't eaten in about 10 weeks. Kadzo's feeding schedule was slowed down over the winter but she has eaten properly since then. She ate a few days before a shed about 10 weeks ago and has shed again since. I've tried a smaller snake this week but this still hasn't worked. After checking this website I've checked for mites and she hasn't got any. She's still really active and is moving most of the day, which is normal for her so I've not worried too much, but today I noticed her forming a loop and just going round and round quickly. I thought this was amusing at first but then started getting worried.
My husband moved in about 6 months ago and isn't fond of snakes. I used to get her out 2 or 3 times a week but now she gets out maybe once a fortnight. Do you think she's missing the contact with me as she loves keeping warm up my sleeves?
Bizarre maybe, but worried.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated.
Stephanie

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems a bit odd, though I assure you it wont be because she will be missing human contact. Could you video it?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to video it, may be a couple of days though.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  00:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you used insecticide or anything like that near her? fly sprays etc? it sounds very much like a neurological problem.
What are her temps like? hot end and cold, is her heat mat on a stat? If you could give us the actual temps it would be great.
How old is she? do you know her weight? her length, has she been with a male? is she on her own?
Would be really handy to know, then we might be able to be more accurate with suggestions.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:07:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kadzo

I've tried a smaller snake this week but this still hasn't worked.
I hope this was a mistake,but it does sound like a neurological problem like mike has said.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  14:17:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by kadzo

I've tried a smaller snake this week but this still hasn't worked.
I hope this was a mistake

I did wonder.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
am hoping it is a mistake :/ slightly confused.com

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:09:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't want to upset you but could it be a stroke?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Can snakes suffer from strokes? And if so would it not just paralyse them completely?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:20:27  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
erm i have no idea... i have never heard of it in a snake :/

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Can snakes suffer from strokes? And if so would it not just paralyse them completely?

No idea to be honest. I don;t see why not, it has a brain. I'm sure I've heard of a ball python having a stroke and a heart attack before :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  12:01:33  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dannybrown yes snakes can suffer strokes

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  14:03:28  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooooo ya learn somethin new everyday :D

did wonder... n thought they could but just never imagined it in a snake :(

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  05:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought Kadzo, and probably totally wrong....but are you sure she is a she? If she is a he then the non-feeding may be down to it being breeding season.

Also you say that she forms a loop....is this just in the viv or when she is outside the viv as well? Is she just circling the viv?

The way you describe her as being really active and moving most of the day (and the not feeding) describes my 2 horny males at the moment....I am just not sure about the turning in circles bit.

Maybe you could handle her more often and see if she does the same thing outside of the viv?

Also would be good if you could answer Mike's questions about viv temps etc....the more we know the more we can help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  11:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. Sorry it's been a while but I've had computer problems. Good news, she shed Saturday overnight, I had her out yesterday for a while and then she ate last night so I'm really happy. She's finished doing the loop thing as well , so that's good.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  13:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy days, thats good to hear.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  21:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats really good to hear..honestly was concerned that it was a serious medical issue but relieved for you that shes back to her normal self

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  15:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so good to hear Stephanie, I had wondered what the situation was with her and, like HannahB, was worried that it must be something serious. You must be so relieved that she has eaten and is now behaving normally.

Thank you so much for letting us know.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  01:39:17  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats great news and glad to know your snakie is ok now :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000