Always check probes.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  18:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
While doing my rounds today, I noticed that Mr Hisslehoffs viv was at a shockingly low 21c on the warm end, and 18c on the cool end.

Something is amiss thinks I, so I check.

The probes for the temp and stat had been moved, don't ask me how as I don't have a clue.
Anyway upon putting my hands onto the glass where the mat was I was genuinely surprised at the heat.

Here's the heatmat exposed:

This is the temperature reading from the IR thermometer:

Bear in mind they are Celcius temperatures!!

All because a probe got moved, this is why it's always important to make sure stat and thermometer probes are secure.
If it wasn't for the low reading on the warm end, I probably wouldn't have noticed for another day or 2, wonder what damage could've happened if I hadn't noticed.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  18:40:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not only does this show that you must make sure that probes are secure, either by sealing them to the mat or weighing them down but shows why thermostats are needed as we all know there are far too many pet/rep shops that say they aren't.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  19:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glue them down with aquarium selant.

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  19:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crikey!
I hope the hiss (or the hoff?) was ok
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  19:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess you can't fit cable ties well in a glass viv..
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  21:34:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I didn't think you could do that as the seal acts like an insulator of some sort? I have no idea it's just what I read probably somewhere on the dark side...

Looks like Mr.Hisslehoff has been having some fun of some sort :D

A bit off topic but how is your cool end so.... cool?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  21:54:51  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats a very good point to bring up and an excellent demonstration of why we needs stats. I make it an issue to check the probes are still in the right place held down with the hides every day when i straighten their aspen. They are both devils for forcing their way behind the wires and often move the probes. Thankfully not actually off the mat yet

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  22:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My probes are usually sandwiched between the mat and the polystyrene and wood thats underneath.
As of yet, I haven't figured out HOW the probes got moved, they could only have been moved by hand from outside influence on the viv.
My missus isn't in for me to ask her, but she may have inadvertantly pulled them out when moving a light.
As it stands I get my cool end that cool by having the viv in the lounge in front of the fireplace, when a window is open you get a lovely draught going down the chimney which keeps the cool end low. As soon as the window is shut (the draught goes) and the cool end creeps up to around the 21-22c mark.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  23:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok it does show why stats are needed due to the high temps, but i think it highlights more the requirement to have a propper thermometer monitoring the temps, no point in having a stat if you cant check what the temps are.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  05:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely agree with Graeme on this one - not only does it show how vital the stat is but also the digital thermometer. Have just corrected someone in another thread who was suggesting that only a stat was needed, not a thermometer as well.

I had a similar thing happen with Silvesta....only in his case the thermometer probe was in the right place and showing 31oC. Checking it out I found he had managed to slide under the stat probe and it was poking up into the air, so was reading the ambient temp rather than the heatmat temp. If I hadnt had the thermometer monitoring it I would never have known.

Both probes are now well weighed down with rocks and pebbles which he cant seem to move, although, like Kdlang, I check they are positioned correctly every day. I dont like the thought of glueing them down as I am not sure how safe that is electrically and also it must make it harder to do a viv clean?

I am just so pleased you noticed it as quickly as you did and that Mr Hiss was ok. I pity the missus once you start interrogating her....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  07:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I didn't think you could do that as the seal acts like an insulator of some sort? I have no idea it's just what I read probably somewhere on the dark side...

It works fine, you only have to use a very small amount to keep the probe fixed.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  13:24:33  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use a glue gun and stick a small blob of it on the mat the push the probes down on it, goes cold within a few mins and holds the probes well but its also weak enough that i can break it of the mat and probes if im having a move around

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:28:44  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Constant pain to me this is I got mine weighed down by a heavy hide but they still get moved by Colin now he is getting big. Just goes to show tho about how hot a mat can get unregulated regardless what the manufacturers say.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000