Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  09:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 16 and I've always had pets. Weather it be a parrot, goldfish or a dog so I've grown up since I was born to be respectful towards animals as they're living creatures too! I think the younger you introduce children to animals especially reptiles the more they'll understand about them...especially that they're not the ugly slimey things people think they are! Both of my parents were fine with me getting a snake as long as I read up on them for a good few months to show I was committed! Plus they've both said when I go to uni in a few years time they'll look after her for me

Medusa the Carolina Corn and Bert the Bearded Dragon.

Edited by - saamicaat on 16/01/2011 09:17:03
Go to Top of Page

RyanL
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  09:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think being responsible is just down to age, I have friends in their 40's who I wouldn't trust to water a plant let alone look after an animal! Where as my 11 year old is excellent, he looks after our Tarantulas brilliantly and now we have a snake he does the same with her. My 7 year old is possibly even more into it and loves helping me when its my turn.

0.1.0 Human wife.
2.0.0 Human Children.
3.1.0 Smelly cats (seriously they stink!).
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea (Chile rose).
0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi (Mexican red knee).
1.0.0 Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly hair).
0.1.0 Corn snake.
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  11:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh

As I said, it REALLY does depend on the family and the children/teenagers (I'm sorta lumping kids and teens together for the point of this discussion - in fact, I would probably say teenagers are worse for impulse buying, later realising how much these pets cost in terms of heating and then disregard it, sell it on, no longer interested).

Well im 18 now and i've had reptiles for years! My parents can barely tell one end of a snake from the other so i take care of everything myself. The same goes for the horses, which take lots more work than all the reps put together! At the moment i have 2 corns, a three year old red tailed Boa, a beardie, and a tortoise (which i bought my sister for her 7th birthday)
On that point, i dont think you could have a better owner! Young children are the most enthusiastic keepers in my opinion! That tortoise gets looked after to death! I swear to god if she checked that animal's water any more often she'd be wasted away from running up and down the stairs to her room!

Regarding teenagers, i have no intention of ''disregarding'' any of my pets! And let's face it, snakes and their equipment doesnt come cheap! Rarely will a part time job holding teenager fork out all their cash for a snake that they aren't willing to look after!

I suppose if you are talking about reptiles being bought for very young children with no parental knowledge, you are probably right! But i think every situation differs. And more often than not, a parent wont invest in a snake for a child that they know nothing about..!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  12:38:07  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can I point out, Katie, that was no attack on any people here - you can see through posts a lot of people make here they are (for the majority) extremely careful with their pets, and take great care of them. I in no way mean to insult those of a younger disposition here - hell, I'm only barely out of my teens myself, but it is my general opinion that teenagers can be extremely careless with their pets. Take the staffie situation at the moment - so many young lads are getting these dogs as a power symbol, treating them rough so they are a scary 'legal street weapon', and then you wonder why those dogs get a bad rep? I know full well those dogs can be the soppiest, dribbliest dogs in the whole world, but there are those select few that will bring the whole lot down in reputation. Its by no means to say that every single teenager everywhere is a bad keeper, its simply not true, but like I said, I can't assess every owner individually. You hope by being here, giving opinions, helping out those that are older sometimes, those younger owners HAVE done their research, and do know explicitly what they are doing, but there will always be those that don't really research or prepare, or decide 'that snake doesn't get big enough, I want a different one' but then don't have the experience for such a snake, and that snake ends up being treated poorly.

I waited myself till I was old enough to pay my own way with reptiles to get mine, because, as you say, they are a very expensive hobby, same with the tropical fish tank, but there are some that will get such pets and expect their family to help with money. All these people that are saying they have kids with snakes and reptiles, they are still THERE to help, and take the overall responsibility, so to what degree can you say that child is completely responsible for that life? If they don't do something they should on the off occasion they forget, their parent is there to do it for them, or chide them into it, make sure that snake does get the care its needing. There will be some families that don't - I mean, I'll even bring up the experience of my own brother here for this. He works full time, I agree, but he is actually quite irresponsible for his three beardie girls. Their bathing, cleaning and sometimes even simple things like feeding and turning on their lights fall to my mum, who has to chase him up for EVERYTHING! Now, I'm not saying at all that he treats them badly, they are VERY healthy, and extremely friendly, but he is nearly 20, and the fact my mum has to remind him to do these things is shocking. It is lucky she likes them so much (its because of them that she now has her two chameleons) and is willing to take them out, bathe them when they need it, feed them, go in in the mornings to turn on their lights. But still, is it right that because he has other responsibilities and 'forgets' even though he is in that room constantly when not out at work, that a lot of their care is falling to my mum?

I, like a lot of you, have grown up with animals all my life. I am looking to work for the RSPCA, which some people have seemed quite negative towards sometimes for their 'lack of care', but that's what I want to do. I have heard from my parents we even had brown anoles when I was a child, which I don't even remember! I agree, getting children 'involved' when they are young is a great idea, what I don't personally like is the idea of children having specific animals as their own. If I were to ever have kids, and they wanted reptiles, they certainly would not be specifically theirs - the animal would be the family's as a whole, so that I can be sure that they are well looked after, and the child won't then turn at a later stage and and say 'its my pet, I can do what I want with it'. Perhaps I'm just paranoid against kids, who knows.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  12:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you're paranoid against kids Tehbunneh! I reckon a lot of this debate will fall to the experiences of each individual, if one person has seen lots of kids and teens loose interest/not adequately care for/neglect pets etc, they will naturally base their views on what they've seen, whereas if people have kids who are great with their pets and wind up knowing miles more than their parents then they'll base opinons on that

All individuals are different so I'd probably sit on the fence here, my 9 yr old cousin is more capable of caring for her pets than most adults I know, but when I was at school I knew an 8 yr old who forced his hamster into a toy car to play racing, and the hammy died xx

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  13:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can I point out, Katie, that was no attack on any people here - you can see through posts a lot of people make here they are (for the majority) extremely careful with their pets, and take great care of them.

I do understand that you are not attacking any individuals, it just came across rather generic! But i see your views clearly now.

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  13:40:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanL

I don't think being responsible is just down to age, I have friends in their 40's who I wouldn't trust to water a plant let alone look after an animal! Where as my 11 year old is excellent, he looks after our Tarantulas brilliantly and now we have a snake he does the same with her. My 7 year old is possibly even more into it and loves helping me when its my turn.

This, A thoundsand times. An impulse buyer or person that goes in and out of fads will almost always do that no matter what the age, it's just at being younger kids can nag parents to buy it for them while adult may think more carefully about their own money. In know a guy in his 40's that in-pluses buys and never really reads up on anything! Also common sense and some level of basic maturity isn't always an age thing.

I think at though if kids do get a young pet, that it is the parents responsibility to know abut that pet too for incase kid gets bored, won't clean it or when child grows older and moves out and cannot take pet with them. I got my first one for my 13th birthday, my mum knew that I had love snakes since of a child of about 5, and she likes them too. At 13 no I didn't pay for food, bedding or anything for it, I do now though. She got me this snake despite of me having rabbits that I would only stroke once in a while, feed and water every night but never clean out and gerbils I hadn't really touched for months and a fish I never cleaned out and only fed a couple of times a week. Although I never bought any of the stuff for the snake, I fed it, cleaned it out with help any everything and I still have my beautiful baby :3. I researched when I got my snake as much as I possibly could however with no internet and limited crappy books available, the information wasn't right, just because you research something in google or in a book doesn't mean it's 100% right! This ment my snake went without a "proper" stat for 9 years.

My mum said that if I ever did get bored of him, then she would look after it. It's kind of the parent thing to do. My boyfriend and I were talking about this what pets we would have when were old and pets for kids, the conclusion was the ids would only be allowed pets that we ourselves wouldn't mind owning incase they got bored of it.

Saying that, I do dislike younger people getting big snakes as the first snake, awfully I start think that the person is trying to compensate for something even though that won't always be the case. I do think that petshops should take into care though who they sell animals too and make the parent aware not just the kid of it's needs.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  13:51:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I come from a family where we always had animals when we were growing up and my own children always had their pets. It was up to us to make sure they were taken care of, although mum & dad kept a very close eye on us. We did the same with our children. As a result we all grew up to be very responsible animal lovers. It was very clear that all creatures be it dogs, cats, reptiles or whatever needed to be respected and cared for properly. We had to 'find out' all about any pet before we were allowed it and had to prove that we understood it's needs. Above all we learned to love our pets.
I quite understand that not all families are like this and there will always be the cases where the adults should never have pets, let alone their offspring.
But I still think that having animals when growing up teaches children so much and is good for both child and pet. There is something very special about the relationship we have with our pets as children.
I'm very pleased that I was allowed my pets as a child and I know my own children were happy having pets while they were growing up.
One day I hope to help teach my grandchildren about the wonderful world of all creatures great and small!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  14:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

One day I hope to help teach my grandchildren about the wonderful world of all creatures great and small!

So THAT'S where your name comes from! i was wondering haha! I love a bit of James Herriot:D Don't think he'd have been too good with snakes though..:P

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 16/01/2011 14:02:06
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:04:15  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

So THAT'S where your name comes from! i was wondering haha! I love a bit of James Herriot:D Don't think he'd have been too good with snakes though..:P

Yes Katie, that's where the name comes from!!
We used to have a vet just like him when I was growing up.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lad has wanted a corn since he was 7 or 8 and was always told no way until he was 13. Well he never loss interest and read up loads with books and on the internet, as did I. He's been 13 now for about 4 months and we now have 3 corns and set-ups. He still needs a prod or 2 now and then, so in my son's case I think 13 was about OK as I have an inerest in snakes myself and would be more than happy to look after his if it didn't go to college/uni with him.
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:45:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm certainly not saying it is just kids and teens that lose interest, but you know, that's what they thread is about, so I stayed specific, lol! I am fully aware there are going to be people, especially like yourself, who breeds and have an expansive collection, that are going to always be there for those children that have their own reptiles, and because you know the care that is needed, will be able to chastise your children into the continual care they need, without it being an issue, until it becomes second nature to those children to do the necessary checks, feeds and regular handling. Some parents, however, are definitely not so knowledgeable, nor do THEY do the research involved to understand their child's pet, then have no idea what to do when something goes wrong. I know I'm generalising, but you know, I can't personally evaluate every living individual that owns snakes, and allows their children to own them XD And there are going to be parents that DO expect their kids to help pay for food and the like - after all, they wanted it, they have to help pay for it!

I couldnt agree more with you here, but as I said previously, I think that this is then the parents problem. Being a parent you should know that in order for your child to be able to have a pet you must be willing to support them and know everything that is needed to keep the pet healthy and happy. So yes buy your children pets, providing you are prepared to take over in the necessesary situations, because being uneducated yourself to me is just plain bad parenting, because not only is it the animals welfare there is also that of your child, but yes, this is a great topic! :)

I do think that in general people love to give teenagees a bad name, and I do not think teenagers should be included in this, because no one I know around my age could give a damn about any animal, they wouldnt want a pet, unless they are animal mad like me, in which case the likelihood of them actually giving the animal up is infinately small, teenagers either love animals or couldnt care less, which is exactly why I dont think teenagers are likely to buy a pet and it just be a fad, those of which arent animal lovers would prefer by far to spend their little money on something like clothes, alcohol etc.

But yeah, buy your kids pets, let them say its their own, but only if you are prepared to put all of the work in, because young children I do think are very likely to get bored.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I'm 42 and came to snake keeping after 30 odd years of reading about snakes, watching documentaries about snakes, handling and holiday sitting others snakes, but never took that step of ownership until recently, my 12 year old son is about to join me in owning his own snake, but I have made him very aware of his responsibilities, and am well aware that I may end up looking after his snake in the future. I would have to say old or young makes no difference to pet ownership, I've known some incredibly irresposible adult pet owners and some incredibly resposible young pet owners, in the end it's down to education, and support. Thankfully that comes not only from parents these days but also from helpful people on furums like TCS

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  22:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for it IF the parent/parents have done their research too and are happy about it. For example if one of my kids wanted a tarantula they'd have to wait till they had their own place as if they lost interest I would no way be able to take over the care of it and that in turn is not fair on the animal.
I'm lucky in that my daughter aged 10 and my son aged 8 have got a healthy interest and respect for animals. We've had the guinea pigs for 4 years and my daughter gets them both out each day. When they asked if they could have Loki I had no qualms but I also knew that he was going to be my responsibility too and that if they ever did get bored I'd be happy to keep him.
Its an absolute joy to see my son with the snakes as he's so nervous around furred/feathered animals. I'd actually feel more comfortable with my kids having a small snake than a dog.
I too don't think the really large snakes are a good idea for young people,I don't feel I could safely handle one myself. Too many people buy them for the stigma and don't think the care through.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  09:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some interesting points.
Although i bought the snake for my 5yo, (who's changed name to Silva now wahey)
i did so with taking into account that after a month or so he may get bored, but so far so good and i really couldn't reccomend getting a snake anymore.
It's been really interesting for us all and so much easier to look after than a dog or horse for example.

I have had to calm him down before handling as he gets far too excited and jittery but has been brill including feeding him and helping clean the viv out yesterday.

Edited by - rick1894 on 17/01/2011 09:45:25
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't recommend a snake for a child's pet -pre the age of about 10 anyway. Not really because of any other reason than the fact they can carry salmonella and it's soooooooo important for that child to understand the hygiene requirements of snake keeping.

I have been asked before if a toddler would be alright with a corn snake and the answer would be definitely not. They are so prone to putting things in their mouth that it's probably a very serious illness waiting to happen.

Young children should always be supervised when handling any reptile, so I agree it should be the parent's pet and not the childs.

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  14:34:02  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I completely forgot the salmonella risk, despite always anti-bac-ing my hands before and after handling my snakes! That is a very good point Kaz, and I'm glad you pointed it out!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  15:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome

Go to Top of Page

Reggie The Corn Snake
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the parents are willing to foot the bills and take some responsibility for the snake I don't see it being a problem.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000