Palmetto Origins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  15:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there have been a couple of discussions about the origins of Palmetto's , just because it's so different, but do people think White sided Black Rats could have been a starting point? If you look at the patterns, they're very similar..

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea where they came from, but thats a lovely snake!

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  17:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That snake is lovely I didn't think there were any other signs in palmettos that they could be hybrids? Scale count, hatchling size+number etc all say corn snake. I suppose there aren't always these clues though...

I suppose genetically rat snakes are very similar to corn snakes. The way I see it, is if the genes are similar and a mutation has occurred to make a new colour morph in one, there is every chance it could happen in the other.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  19:48:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there is no evidence for palmetto being a hybrid, all the scale counts, head shape, body size etc etc etc are all cornsnake. There will however be similarities because of the close relationship between corns and black rats as there is with other close species. White sided/pied sided? Albino crops up in lots of stuff, striped corns have the same pattern as adult yellow rats, and so it goes on.

There has recently been a wild caught black rat morph that has even more of a palmetto/calico look about it.....

all the details here: www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122345

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  20:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, I like that rat snake even more eeji Beautiful snake and dare I say it....maybe even better than a palmetto...

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  20:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, now that's gorgeous! White sided black rat snake is on my wish list ( amongst many others :-) ), if I'm EVER allowed more snakes... but this one is even better! It also looks in the link like he's got blue eyes? Do you know what's to become of him - is he ever going to be bred?

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  18:18:29  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the one I posted is male and is going to be bred to every local female the owners can catch, just in case its recessive in the hope one of those females is het for the same trait.

Unfortunately they are keeping the location top secret :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  15:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring out an old thread - does anyone know if any hatchlings from the above snake have been produced? Eeji?

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  23:45:42  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last post on the cs.com thread was June last year with the project still being worked on. I suspect they never did find any w/c hets so are waiting for any hatchlings to mature ready to breed back to the original.

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  10:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info :-)

I really hope this will turn out inheritable, it is such a beautiful snake. It seems to have less freckling on the sides, almost like a white sided that's been diluted on top. It would have been interesting to breed this one with a white sided female, just to see what happens... I'll keep my eye open for any news :-)

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly