Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Masque- The new gene on the block - please read.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  12:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone!

So I thought it would be really useful for everyone to have a post on Masque, so everyone can get their head around it. Because it's a dominant gene, it is spreading like wildfire, and is often confused as diffsed/bloodred, as a het marker for diffused, or because it can sometimes remove belly checkers, again diffused and sometimes even as motley.

So here's a quick run down, and because it's still new there may be some tweaks needed, as I don't think anyone's an expert as yet, however here's what I know, and hopefully you guys can take something away from this.

So what is MASQUE?

Masque is a Dominant cornsnake gene. It has two main indicators that show you if your corn is Masque or not.

Firstly, it will usually present itself with a grey/white head pattern (often confused as a diffused/bloodred trait). This is not a trait of either diffused or bloodred corns, it is purely down to the Masque gene.

(A Hypo Butter showing Masque)

Secondly, checkers will be split down the centre more often than not, sometimes to such an extent as to look like there almost aren't any checkers.

(An Amber displaying Masque checker patterns)

So why is this important? Why should you know about Masque? For several reasons:

1- It's a co-dominant gene, so if one of your corns is Masque, generally about half your offspring will display Masque features.

2- It is often confused with Diffused/Bloodred. What makes a diffused/bloodred is complete lack of checkers (clean belly) and a diffusion of the lateral pattern to the snake. However sometimes Masque can be so strong, that it nearly completely removes checkers from view, and can almost be confused with Diffused.

(An Amber Lavender displaying Masque, very strongly. Tiny checkers however indicates that this is down to Masque and not diffused)

This is very important, because you may mis-identify babies, which not only creates frustration for the new owners, but also can play havoc with your breeding plans in future, as a Masque corn which you think is diffused put to a diffused corn will result in normals (all be it some Masque) all het diffused. Which would be a dissapointment, not what you were expecting I'm sure!

Please post any questions and I'll do my best to answer :)

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  12:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really helpful thanks, also that first pic really shows where the gene got its name :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  13:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to think so :) I have had a few this year with really fun head patterns! Like this little guy:

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  13:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^ that is an amazing marking!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  14:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Good idea to spread the knowledge a bit.

What confused me was that I thought all masques had the head pattern like in the first photo and this isn't the case.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  16:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to complicate it too much, but I'm fairly sure the grey head is the super form of Masque.. That's what I think word on the street is. Being dominant basically you can be "het" masque, and part of it shows through. Much like Tessera in that most are actually "het" Tessera, but because it's dominant over normal, it shows through :) And yes, you can also get Super Tessera, but they look the same I think.

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  21:09:48  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HANDY :)

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  22:13:18  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

I didn't want to complicate it too much, but I'm fairly sure the grey head is the super form of Masque.. That's what I think word on the street is. Being dominant basically you can be "het" masque, and part of it shows through. Much like Tessera in that most are actually "het" Tessera, but because it's dominant over normal, it shows through :) And yes, you can also get Super Tessera, but they look the same I think.

het tessera and homozygous tessera look the same.

The amber in the ventral example, is it 100% masque thats causing the split or is it the hypo thats causing it (split cheques also a hypo trait)?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2013 :  12:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarifying Eeji, I did know that, but don't think I made it very clear.. :)

And it's Masque that's causing it. The Dad's heavily masqued, and it seems he's passed his confusing trait onto his offspring, hence my disappointments with "Diffused Amber Lavenders" and "Hypo Sulphurs".. :(

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

NexivRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
551 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  22:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My diffused/masque girl also has the flying dumbo marking :) Need to find out which she is!

R.I.P. 0.1: CB10 Ophion - pewter masque het amel
1.0: CB10 lavender stripe het ??? - Alabaster (Bats) Codify
0.1: CB12 hypo plasma het amel - Nebula
0.2: CB13 diffused 66% pos het cinder - Demeter (Mimi) & Bombulurina (Reenie)
1.0: CB13 hypo cinder ?% pos het amel stripe - Huckleberry
0.1: CB13 anery aztec het amel - Tetris
1.0: CB13 gold dust motley stripe - Helios

Edited by - Kellog on 07/01/2014 11:02:23
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  17:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

Masque is a Dominant cornsnake gene.

Worth mentioning it's thought to be Co-dominant, not Dominant. Sorry- A typo on my behalf here as I was rattling through information.

Also- there is a 3rd indicator, which is that the 3rd or 4th saddle is blurred into the next, a sort of smudge between the two. I'll try to update with a picture when I find one.

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000