New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  13:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Sebastianek had a very lucky escape yesterday....

It was a nice day, very sunny, so I took Seb outside in the garden, and let him crawl on the lawn. I always make sure I stay with him, and that there are no holes he could get into, etc. He loves rooting around and sniffing interesting smells in the grass, and seems to enjoy the sun.

I was a bit more on my guard yesterday, as the day before I'd seen a huge magpie snatch a baby blackbird from the air, as it was learning to fly, very near me...it was horible, screaming parents attacking, but couldn't do anything to save the baby bird.

As it happened so near me, I though I'd better watch out for my snakes when I take them out, as I wouldn't put it pass the magpie trying to snatch one, too.

So I was kneeling on the grass, Seb blissfully sniffing an interesting blade of grass, when I heard a sudden rushing sound behind me. Without thinking, I snatched Seb up, and just in time!

It wasn't the magpie, it was our ancient cat, who I was convinced I'd shut safely in the house earlier on - and he landed right where Seb had been! Ginty is still a pretty good hunter, and once he has grabbed something, it' usually doomed...
Amazingly, Seb didn't seem at all disturbed by being suddenly snatched up so fast, or by narrowly having escaped a certain death by his arch enemy ( Seb's always essing himself up, when he sees Ginty )...

Needless to say, I've learnt my lesson - to double check Ginty is IN, when the snakes are OUT...

Was going to post the photos of the two culprits ( SEPARATELY ), but photobucket seems to be playing up...

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  15:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa that was sooo lucky!! (poor baby bird)

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  15:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky escape, one of my cats doesn't know wether to be scared of Vince or to try and eat him!

Edited by - Vince_the_snake on 19/04/2014 15:31:13
Go to Top of Page

LadySybil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
231 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  16:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it was the baby birds mission in life to make sure you were more alert yesterday, its sad to say but imagine if you hadnt seen the magpie and baby bird! You probably wouldnt have reacted like you did.

I keep a water spray bottle near me at all times and rarely need use it now as Tat seems to have learned that she is not to play with the moving shoe lace.

0.1 Corn- Carolina- Lady Sybil Deidre Olgivanna Vimes (née Ramkin), Duchess of Ankh
1.0 Corn- Granite het charcoal- His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.
1.0 MBK- Feegle
1.0 corn- anery/ghost motley, Pewsey Ogg
0.2 Cat- Tat and Gytha
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  19:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heck, a traumatising few days! That poor little bird. Am sure elderly animals play on their age to lure you into a false sense of security. A year ago we had some birds fall down the chimney and our old german shep was laid on the sofa a sleep, at the time I only though one had fallen don so I was in the process of trying to catch it as it was flapping round the living room (mum's hanging on to lupi so she can't get it) just as I catch it there's this clatter and out fly's another, it heads past a sleeping Jess and she suddenly launches her self at it! She didn't get it but I was surprised to see her move so fast!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2014 :  15:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LadySybil, you're right in that that if it wasn't for the poor little bird, I wouldn't have been so on my guard... it's just sad, I think it was the blackbird's last hatchling. I found one dead the day before - and suspected Ginty... but the magpie clearly knew about the nest and hatchlings.

I watched the blackbirds nesting and feeding from the beginning, and they would come for a rest on our decking. The female especially is so skinny and harassed looking, from trying to find enough food..

The little one came flying almost into me, and I was just talking to it, when it happened. So horrible, and the parents cried for ages.

I saw the male blackbird again today, with a beak full of moss, so I suspect they are building another nest somewhere else, now, hopefully a better hidden one.

Lupi lou, Ginty most definitelly plays on his age! He pretends to have no interest whatsoever in the snakes, when I'm watching. Then I saw him once, when he thought I wasn't in the room - he was glaring at Seb and clearly thinking about taking a leap at the viv. Fortunately, I think that's now well beyond his elderly arthritic joints, and he knew it, too, which was probably the only thing that stopped him. But the look on his face was completely different to what it normally is, with me there.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly