New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  21:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.... Not too worried yet but thought I would run this past you all.

My adult female corn moved house with me (well went on holiday whilst I moved and re setup her viv).

At the old house she was in a bedroom on her own. In the new house she's in the dining area of the kitchen. I've notice she spends a lot more time out and about in the viv rather than hiding away.

The only issue is that she hasn't eaten since the move, this now being 20th of April. She sniffs at the mouse then simply ignores it....a few times favouring trying to get past it' seemingly to explore beyond the confines of her little home!

She's pretty chunky and active but I'm now wondering when she might eat. She hasn't shed since two months ago either.

Just wondered whether this might have something to do with the breeding season? If she continues not eating I guess she'll have to suffer the vet's attention

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  08:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I wonder whether the move has kick-started breeding behaviour Gaz. I had this with Kellog when I first got him. He'd always eaten for his previous owner but refused his first feed with me and didn't eat for 13 weeks. The fact that she's more active than usual also points towards it.

You know enough about how her viv needs to be set-up to know if anything is wrong with it that might be causing her stress and putting her off her food.

Keep an eye on her weight, she shouldn't lose too much if it is her hormones. You may be able to tempt her to eat if you offer her a smaller prey item than she's used to. Kellog stopped eating at the end of February and I've got him to take 2 smalls during that time, instead of the large or medium mice he's normally on. How do you feed her?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  22:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog
It's reassuring to know other people have experienced similar.
Viv temps etc are all good. I'm obsessed with thermometers lol!
I normally feed her a large mouse one week, then two the week after. Sometimes she strikes at it, other times I leave the prey in the viv if she's not playing ball and she'll leisurely consume it!
I might leave it two weeks then try a medium mouse, possibly covering up the glass on the viv to help make her feel secure if she hasn't struck and I have to leave the mouse in?

Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  07:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She certainly doesn't need a meal of 2 large mice Gaz. Corns are meant to be long and slim. Adults are no longer growing so only need enough for for nutrition. My adults were on a large mouse ever 10 days/fortnight but I recently changed them to a medium mosur every fortnight as they were still putting on more weight than necessary. You really want her to be putting on a small amount of weight between each feed rather than gaining too much. Like us humans, once the weight is there it's hard to shift .

I think it's definitely worthwhile trying her with a medium mouse and covering her viv to give her peace and quiet. You could also try putting her in something like a shoebox with the mouse. Often if they are in an enclosed space with their food they are more inclined to eat.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  00:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellogg.
I shall try her with a small mouse and cover the viv.
She is also well overdue a shed and her skin is starting to feel a little dry.
Am thinking that a visit to the vetenary may well be on the cards.

Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  07:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is she losing much weight Gaz? If she isn't and is behaving normally, other than not eating, I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of snakes are off their food at the moment. Some because of breeding season and others because of the weather. Trying to feed her with a small mouse in her covered viv will hopefully work.

I'd definitely wait until she sheds and then see if she will eat. If she still refuses then maybe ring your vet and see what they say.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  23:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog
I hope she sheds soon as her skin is feeling somewhat rough to me.
Cheers

Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2014 :  10:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll Fuzzy has finally shed, following which she scoffed a mouse.
Previous to this she endured a visit to the vets...I did feel sorry for her, the get gave her a tho dog examination and confirmed that she appeared in good physical health other than needing a shed.
Maybe when I put her into the rep centre for a couple of days whilst I moved house she smelled males in proximity, this triggering breeding behaviour.. Not sure but could make sense?
I did raise the humidity in her hide with some moss and she's had one of the best sheds yet! Definitely one to repeat next time she goes blue (well pink!!).
Thanks for all who have given advice.

Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  08:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad she's given you a clean shed Gaz and even more glad that she's eaten . It may be that putting her in the reptile centre kicked started her breeding behaviour. You don't necessarily need snakes of the opposite sex around for it to happen, as I know because my first experience of it was when I got my first corn and he refused to eat for 13 weeks!

I know you'll feel a lot happier having had her checked out and given the all clear .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  22:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog.
She's eaten again. This time she launched herself out of the bedding where she had burried herself and constricted the mouse. Very unlike her as she's usually a very lazy feeder!
Her skin feels lovely and smooth again.
About time I put some pictures up I think.
Just got to work out how to transfer them from this new eye phone thingy!!

Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  09:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's brilliant Gaz. Such a relief when they start feeding again and it must have been lovely, and surprising, getting that sort of feeding response.

Can't help with your 'eye phone thingy'. I'm as useless with technology as I am with morphs .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000